You can only have one and only one! Which

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Re: You can only have one and only one! Which

Post by winchester1886 »

My old proof marked 86 Winchester in 40-82, I sure do miss it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The original specification wasn't one LEVERGUN. Also, how are you looking at this, being able to have the most applications, being able to pursue your rights or being able to use the most types of hard to get ammunition? Are you limiting the switch barrels? I also got a Contender and have 21 barrels. I can shoot a lot of different levergun cartridges AND the .410 bore and 28 gauge shotgun shells.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Based on what I have, not necessarily on what would probably be best (Hobie has that covered with the contender with mutliple barrels), it would have to be my most versatile, my Remington 870 12ga with three barrels (Turkey, rifled, and standard with a variety of chokes).

Second, I am hung up on either my .44 Trapper or just a run of the mill '94 Winchester chambered for .30-30.

My first inclination was Terry's suggestion, the .22, but that is more of target caliber in my neck of the woods. It would work fine on deer if you let 'em get close enough, but they are a terrible Black Bear, Moose, and Elk gun...too much opportunity for error. Then again a .22 would be my number 1 survival weapon, 'cause it could stealthy lead to what ever you might need.

Also thought of the .45-70, then I can use a .410 on small critters and birds (I got a nice Tom with a 1884 Trapdoor firing a .410 shell with 5 .410" round balls in the cartridge at about 50 yards).
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hobie wrote:The original specification wasn't one LEVERGUN. Also, how are you looking at this, being able to have the most applications, being able to pursue your rights or being able to use the most types of hard to get ammunition? Are you limiting the switch barrels? I also got a Contender and have 21 barrels. I can shoot a lot of different levergun cartridges AND the .410 bore and 28 gauge shotgun shells.

Only one (1) Gun with its one (1) barrel.
Just which one would solve the most issues you would want a gun for.If this one gun would not meet all of those needs it would be your call to choose which needs to not have met by that (1) gun! :?: :wink:
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue May 04, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

For my use, if limitied to only one, it would likely be a scoped 30-06. A 1903 or Mauser sporter, glass for hunting, irons for summer carry. Can shoot very light round ball loads for small game or birds, up to full power loads for anything up to elks, bear or moose (all of which are on the game lists here). Looking at 22 ammo prices, shooting extra light loads in a centerfire rifle is competitively priced if you cast your own bullets or balls.

Runner up would be the 1886 carbine, 71, or a 94 carbine, tho the 94 is a bit light for some uses here. The 71 may be the most useful of those. Remodelled into a full mag 22" rifle with straight grip and shotgun butt would be about perfect. A removeable barrel mounted scope would add a lot of daylight and range.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

12 GA 870 WINGMASTER WITH A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT BARRELS...
SKEET, TRAP, RIFLED, AND REM CHOKED BARRELS
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

RIHMFIRE wrote:12 GA 870 WINGMASTER WITH A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT BARRELS...

Nope----------1 barrel only! (the others they throw in the old melting pot) :o
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

madman4570 wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:12 GA 870 WINGMASTER WITH A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT BARRELS...

no need for barrels.. a set of chokes is enough.. :D
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Terry Murbach wrote:
Catshooter wrote:
These threads also show who packs, and who doesn't. Gotcha! :)

Cat
THIS WOULD BE A T-TOTALLY INCORRECT ASSUMPTION, SIR.
That could well be Terry, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've be wrong, even just counting today!

But unless someone was 'cheating' (like Doc :) ) I think concealing a long gun is tough. Worse than tough, it's very inconveinent and so someone might do one or twice but would soon stop.

Like Idiot, I have carried for almost 100% of my waking hours for most of my life. To me, self defense is the primary purpose of a firearm, all else is second.

Show me the light our host, lead me out of the darkness! :) :) :)

Cat
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

madman4570 wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:12 GA 870 WINGMASTER WITH A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT BARRELS... SKEET, TRAP, RIFLED, AND REM CHOKED BARRELS
so... what about a SxS or my Drilling? ???

Also, if you are restricted to only one OEM barrel, I'm thinking ammo is going to be a huge issue... so in that case I might change my pick to a ROA and a tap-o-cap...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

GP100, adjustable sights, 4" to 6" barrel. There are times that a rifle or shotgun simply cannot be practical to carry. The LEOSA permits me to have a loaded handgun more places than a loaded long gun. If LEOSA were ever to be repealed, handgun carry reciprocity laws would still allow me to carry a loaded handgun more places than a loaded rifle, outside my home state of Texas. (Before it became law, LEOSA was known as HR 218, and some folks still call it that.)

I became very comfortable with .357 sixguns during the earlier part of my peace officer career. Though I started handgunning with 1911 pistols, and still love the 1911, if I need to make a handgun act like a rifle, a magnum sixgun can better do that task. While I have come to prefer bigger bore single actions for many things, the .357 is at least adequate for most things I want to do with a handgun.

I will say I am grateful that I don't have to make such a choice, and can possess multiple firearms.

Lastly, my favorite individual firearm in the world is the 4" adjustable-sight stainless GP100 that I had in my duty rig one night in 1993, when I took part in an event that had no second place winner. I won't voluntarily part with this one, ever. I now own more GP100 sixguns, in various configurations, 3" to 6" barrels, adjustable and fixed sights, than any other model of firearm.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OI phones in... wrote:
madman4570 wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:12 GA 870 WINGMASTER WITH A BUNCH OF DIFFERENT BARRELS... SKEET, TRAP, RIFLED, AND REM CHOKED BARRELS
so... what about a SxS or my Drilling? ???

Also, if you are restricted to only one OEM barrel, I'm thinking ammo is going to be a huge issue... so in that case I might change my pick to a ROA and a tap-o-cap...
yes,double barrel guns as mfg'd. are acceptable!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

thats a easy one :lol:

I have a "bunch" of ammo stashed for this one.

DAV life member.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The one I would want if only one..... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =167195065
Ammo is easily available for both barrels. but alot of experts know a 30-30 just don't make the grade.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

it would have to be my 12 gauge paradox side by side. 730grain paradox round at 5000ft lbs, to black powder dove loads. Home defense, truck gun, hunting. that with my bow would do me well. I would feel naked with out a pistol or revolver but if i had to have one, its the one right now.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

.45colt wrote:The one I would want if only one..... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =167195065
Ammo is easily available for both barrels. but alot of experts know a 30-30 just don't make the grade.
I have one EXACTLY like it! And I truly can't say enough good about it. I mounted a Williams receiver sight on it that made it darned near a target shooter. AND, it LOVES cast! 180gr .311 cast bullets at full power, 2000+fps, will cluster 3 in less than 1 1/2" at 100 yards. The 20ga barrel has busted 24 of 25 over a trap house. All in all, these are fantastic all around rifles!

(but I got mine for $415 LESS than the buy now price... :mrgreen: )

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Ahh heck, here we go again! I DON"T KNOW!!!! And now my head hurts................

My pat answer is always a 12ga pump but then the wheels a get to turning and I think that a 30/30 will do "almost" everything a 12 will and a few things better. Then I get to a thinkin a little more and think a flattop AR in .22-250 or .243 would fill the bill nicely for everything I do or want to do. The main problem with the AR is it's a sight more gun than I need 75% of the time. Now lets toss a nice short 7mm-08 or 260 bolt gun into the mix................

I hate being over gunned, I hate being under gunned. I really hate having critters out of range which they often are with a .30-30 or a 12ga.

Did I mention my head hurts now?

LK
Gregch44
Levergunner

Post by Gregch44 »

Well just like most of us here, my head hurts just thinking about this. As comforting as a 1911 Colt would be in the small of my back, I think that I'm going to choose my custom take down Marlin in .45-70. Ammo should be available in just about any hardware store in the country, and I can use .410 shotgun shells as well for small game. It will drop anything in North America, and maybe the world, and barriers are not so secure. With the quick detach scout scope set up, long range will be greatly increased, and it all packs into a fairly small, unrecognizable package, that is slung over my shoulder. I have the same choice in .450 Marlin, but I had the .45-70 built as well just for the ammo issue in a what if scenario.
Last edited by Gregch44 on Fri May 07, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Well if I can't have my Contender with all it's barrels I guess I would have my Marlin 94 in 44Mag :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

.45colt wrote:The one I would want if only one..... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =167195065
And your username is ".45colt"? Hmmm...
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

+1 for the 357 Blackhawk. I've got so much brass, 357 and 38, I could shoot for many years and not worry about it!
357 revolvers.JPG
But, it would be hard giving up my 4" Model 19!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Chas wrote: "And your username is ".45colt"? Hmmm..." Chas, as much as I do respect the Colt and the 45-70 and all the hardware I have used over the years if I could have 1 and only 1 that Savage would fit the bill.
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

My cut down 94, zeroed with my 150gr sierra hunting load it will shoot to point of aim to 25yds with a 76gr round ball load. Big game, small game, home defense it will do it all.Image
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Stinkycat, a Trapper 94 (or 92 in 44 Mag) would be hard to beat. I've got both...might opt for the 92 if just for the extra roundage and ammo on the belt. Tomorrow it'll be the other way around though!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I guess it was almost 10 years ago, but like an idiot, I passes on a BRNO o/u with 3 barrel sets including shotgun, double rifle with windage and elev. on the second barrel, and combination barrel set for $750.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

bulldog1935 wrote:I guess it was almost 10 years ago, but like an idiot, I passes on a BRNO o/u with 3 barrel sets including shotgun, double rifle with windage and elev. on the second barrel, and combination barrel set for $750.

oke, as much as i love the shotgun as "do it all", the above gun would have it beat as all around gun.... :)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

That Savage looks like a particularly useful variant... much more so than the .22/.410. I think somthing like that in .45/20b CAPLOCK would be pretty useful too...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ok,
Time I give my two cents.
For me its just pure plain simple. My 1972 12ga 20" Ithaca Deerslayer.
Small Game/Turkey/Deer/Bear/and with the new brass slugs or those new Dixie Hard Cast 870 grainers,I think it will do the deal on anything breathing on land.
If it means no pistol or no Deerslayer ---------thats fine,no pistol!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

If I had to choose just one gun it would be the 12ga Greener Martini I just bought.Why because as the Greener is a takedown, with the purchase of a spare extractor I am going to have a second barrel made up for it in 45/70 so with the two barrels it will cover a wide
variety of game ,and as an added plus 12ga ammo can be purchased anywhere.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I just don't believe it!!

Apparently I'm the only honest man posting in this thread!

The rest of you fellows are acting like y'all would go along with such foolishness, knowing full well that very danged one of you would slip in as many additional wapons as you thought you could get away with hiding.

no madman, I'd not feel the least bit of guilt. IMNSHO, a law of that sort NEEDS to be broken, and the people who put it in force NEED to be hung from the handiest oak tree.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Doc Hudson wrote:I just don't believe it!!

Apparently I'm the only honest man posting in this thread!

The rest of you fellows are acting like y'all would go along with such foolishness, knowing full well that very danged one of you would slip in as many additional wapons as you thought you could get away with hiding.

no madman, I'd not feel the least bit of guilt. IMNSHO, a law of that sort NEEDS to be broken, and the people who put it in force NEED to be hung from the handiest oak tree.
I SAID I would be building my own "social" guns... :wink: :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Actually Doc, he didn't specify that you could only have one because of a law in the original post, he just said one.

I have, twice, been reduced to just one over the course of the years, and each time it was due to my own financial straites. I just couldn't afford any more.

First time it was a 1911 Colt in .45, second was a Charter Bulldog.

Cat
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My Ruger #1 in .308.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Catshooter wrote:Actually Doc, he didn't specify that you could only have one because of a law in the original post, he just said one.

I have, twice, been reduced to just one over the course of the years, and each time it was due to my own financial straites. I just couldn't afford any more.

Cat

Ya guys,
I wasn't meaning there was some law not letting us only have one. Just meant which one you most want.
I probably should have been more clear on this.
Doc, (in this country if it got to that point where people were forced to have only 1 a lot of people would indeed probably be answering this differently. Actually good point Catshooter.It could be someone having a diiicult time having to shed some guns.
I just wanted to know if any of you guys have a certain gun that gives you that special feeling like this would be the very very last gun to go given any circumstance?

Doc, the "wouldn't you feel embarrassed comment" I was being facetious!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If I am to be limited to ONLY ONE --- I ain't stickin' around...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Catshooter wrote:Actually Doc, he didn't specify that you could only have one because of a law in the original post, he just said one.

Cat
Been there, danged near done that and wouldn't wear the tee-shirt if I' bought it.

Even at the worst, I managed to hold on to my Marlin Golden 39-A and the Charter .44 Bulldog, I also kept Big Daddy's old Hopkins Allen for sentimental reasons as well as the fact that it is virtually valueless, and an old RG .22 for the same reason.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

madman4570 wrote: Doc, the "wouldn't you feel embarrassed comment" I was being facetious!
I figured as much, because I figured you'd be cheating as bad or worse than I would.

Image Image
UNITE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Doc, You the man! :mrgreen:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

madman4570 wrote:

Cat

Ya guys,
I wasn't meaning there was some law not letting us only have one. Just meant which one you most want.
I probably should have been more clear on this.
Doc, (in this country if it got to that point where people were forced to have only 1 a lot of people would indeed probably be answering this differently. Actually good point Catshooter.It could be someone having a diiicult time having to shed some guns.
I just wanted to know if any of you guys have a certain gun that gives you that special feeling like this would be the very very last gun to go given any circumstance?

Doc, the "wouldn't you feel embarrassed comment" I was being facetious!
Oh. Then probably still my Drilling, since it is the most broad spectrum and least replacable.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Gradpa's '03, .30-06 sporter.
Nothin' i can't hit with that rifle! :D
Loaded up to 220gr bear killers or down to .310 rb gallery loads.
I haven't found anything the Old Girl can't do for me.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri May 07, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

12g/.270 combo gun
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

For me it would be my dad's Sears Model 101.100 AKA Savage 96 single shot in 16 guage . I remember when I was 7 or so I went with my dad and my maternal grandfather to buy it. It was the first "man thing" other than going to church that I was ever invited to do with both of them. It was I believe his first new gun and the only one he had till I bought him a Marlin 336 when I was 20. I killed my first game animal with it, a garden eating groundhog, about 6 months after he got it and it put a lot of game on our table over the years.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

S X S 12 gauge.....

rick
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

See that's what I love about this forum.
It seems everyday I am learning somthing from one or more of you guys.
ya know,I thought I knew a lot about guns till becoming a member here.
Thanks to all you guys for helping me become somewhat gun wise.
What a great forum and what a great bunch of members here! :mrgreen: