Revolvers - 2.5" fixed vs. 3" adjustable

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Revolvers - 2.5" fixed vs. 3" adjustable

Post by Triggernosis »

In my neverending quest for the perfect "kit gun", I can't decide between a revolver with a 2.5" fixed-sight barrel or one with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights.
I want a sidearm for defense, occasional dispatch of a beaver or rabbit across the marsh, and general plinking...concealed carry occasionally, but not every day.
Hell, maybe I should just get both, play with 'em for a while and sell the one that doesn't get carried as much.

Any recommendations or discussion greatly appreciated.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Revolvers - 2.5" fixed vs. 3" adjustable

Post by Remington40x »

FWIW (not much, I know), when I had to make that decision I chose the S&W Model 60 stainless 3" in .38 Special with adjustable sights and have never regretted it. It's extremely accurate and the adjustable sights allows me to get a true zero no matter what ammo I'm using at the time, which has become increasingly important as there is no guarantee that what you find in your local gun shop today will be there tomorrow. I did put a set of aftermarket grips on it, but more for aesthetic than practical reasons. In a pancake holster, it disappears under a shirt tail. I happen to use 125 grain +P hollowpoints of whatever flavor I can find in it. S&W now makes the same revolver in .357 Magnum, which I think might be a bit of a handful when discharged.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have one gun with fixed sights and one that is windage only....... future = adjustable only for me. I can understand for a CC gun with minuscule, snag free, fixed sights having an advantage but for a field gun? No way. Figure all my rifles have adjustables sights for a reason why not my handguns? Go with the 3incher.

LK
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Remington 40X is right on. The 3" adjustable sighted Model 60 is a great little gun. They come with wide, single action style triggers but you can always change that if you want to. I found this one at a downtown pawn shop. A wadcutter is a creampuff out of that gun and will kill small critters no problem. Having the adjustable sights to get a tight zero makes life nicer.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Remington40x wrote:FWIW (not much, I know), when I had to make that decision I chose the S&W Model 60 stainless 3" in .38 Special with adjustable sights and have never regretted it. It's extremely accurate and the adjustable sights allows me to get a true zero no matter what ammo I'm using at the time, which has become increasingly important as there is no guarantee that what you find in your local gun shop today will be there tomorrow. I did put a set of aftermarket grips on it, but more for aesthetic than practical reasons. In a pancake holster, it disappears under a shirt tail. I happen to use 125 grain +P hollowpoints of whatever flavor I can find in it. S&W now makes the same revolver in .357 Magnum, which I think might be a bit of a handful when discharged.
I think that's great advice considering your parameters. I used the 3" M36 for several years for exactly those purposes.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I took a gp100 3" with fixed sights and tuned it up for my wife as a bear SD gun with BB 180, I can hit a 6" gong at 100 yds with it. Nothing wrong with FS if you get a load and get it sighted in. danny
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

my only snubby.SP101 357

DAV life member.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:
Remington40x wrote:FWIW (not much, I know), when I had to make that decision I chose the S&W Model 60 stainless 3" in .38 Special with adjustable sights and have never regretted it. It's extremely accurate and the adjustable sights allows me to get a true zero no matter what ammo I'm using at the time, which has become increasingly important as there is no guarantee that what you find in your local gun shop today will be there tomorrow. I did put a set of aftermarket grips on it, but more for aesthetic than practical reasons. In a pancake holster, it disappears under a shirt tail. I happen to use 125 grain +P hollowpoints of whatever flavor I can find in it. S&W now makes the same revolver in .357 Magnum, which I think might be a bit of a handful when discharged.
I think that's great advice considering your parameters. I used the 3" M36 for several years for exactly those purposes.

I have one of those and love it...shoots to POA with the 130 grainers.....It would be a great kit gun, but not enough for big stuff, so it does not get the nod very often. The .357 or a 1911 fills that slot with me.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What Dave said, especially if ammunition availability is an issue.

-Stretch
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

OK, gents, I've made up my mind - I've got a S&W Model 60-4 on its way to me now. May still pick up a Taurus Ultralight with 2.5" barrel just to compare.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:
Hobie wrote:

I have one of those and love it...shoots to POA with the 130 grainers.....It would be a great kit gun, but not enough for big stuff, so it does not get the nod very often. The .357 or a 1911 fills that slot with me.
Which is why I now carry a .44 Spec or .45 Colt. :wink: Of course, here in the east, these were adequate for years. IOW, I never got CAUGHT flat. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

for all around, I chose the 3 inch Pro model 60. Night sights, flat barrel, stag grips. Love it.
For carry for personal defense, I use a fixed sight ruger speed six, 2.5 inch with stag grips.

I like the 3 " adjustable for what you describe.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Well I would never tell you this or that is right for you but in my expereince the 3" J frame is almost perfect for urban, suburban & rural carry.

My three favorite carry guns are a S&W 60 357 mag with 3" barrel & adjustable sight, a S&W 36 which I rebuilt as a 3" barrel, fixed sight 38 spl, and a Charter Arms 44 spl Bulldog with 3" barrel and fixed sights.

I carry the Charter in the cold weather reasoning the 44 spl would penetrate heavy winter clothing better, but otherwise it is the S&W 36 I rely on. The S&W 60 is my choice when wandering around the Michigan woodside. Often times my wife carries my S&W 36 if I am carrying the 60.

The Square butt on the the 36 & 60 make them feel and shoot like K frames but the little bit of extra barrel & hand stock is hardly notice able when carrying, they 'pack' with scarcely more mass then the round butt 2" barrel J frame.

Wm
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

I prefer my SP101 357 maggie with the 3" barrel, fixed sights. I put up my loads in 357 cases at 38 special velocities. I might one day send it to Hamilton Bowen for one of his "perfected" tune ups ( http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/ima ... %20sts.jpg )

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by CEMENTHEAD on Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Look up the definition of "laughable" and you'll find: 'The notion that I could shoot well enough with a snubbie centerfire revolver to even notice the difference in subtle sight adjustments with a nice 'adjustable' sight...'

So, for ME, I'd likely choose a fixed-sight gun, and shoot it with ONE load until I could tell if I needed sight adjustment via filing, bending, tapping, or whatever. If needed, I'd do that adjustment, and then leave things alone.

HOWEVER, the folks who say the 'adjustable sights are too fragile' make me wonder what it is they actually do with their handguns. . . in my 35 years of 'modest' field experience with various handguns, with most decent adjustable sights, you'd practically have to use the gun as a hammer or boat anchor to mess them up. Yes, they ARE a bit bulkier, and yes, they ARE a bit more expensive, but no real disadvantages, unless you're dropping into swamps from helicopters on a survival mission.

So, the bottom line is actually I'd get whichever gun was a decent price, figuring a few bucks extra for the 'adjustable' sights is ok, since if my chosen loading is way off, it's gonna be faster and easier to 'adjust' than to file or bend, it may be worth the money. Once sighted in on a snubbie, if I wanted to be SURE it wouldn't shift from rough usage, I'd probably use the red locktite or even superglue, thus rendering it essentially a 'fixed sight' gun anyway.

Just my thoughts - and I'm not a LEO, survivalist, handgun hunter extrodinaire, or gun writer.

Just a guy who shoots handguns some. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Whatever I shot best with. And for standard wheelguns, , probably a 4" barrel, but a snub can work. Here are two I'd prefer, (fixed sights work too).

John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

AJMD429 wrote:Look up the definition of "laughable" and you'll find: 'The notion that I could shoot well enough with a snubbie centerfire revolver to even notice the difference in subtle sight adjustments with a nice 'adjustable' sight...'

So, for ME, I'd likely choose a fixed-sight gun, and shoot it with ONE load until I could tell if I needed sight adjustment via filing, bending, tapping, or whatever. If needed, I'd do that adjustment, and then leave things alone.

HOWEVER, the folks who say the 'adjustable sights are too fragile' make me wonder what it is they actually do with their handguns. . . in my 35 years of 'modest' field experience with various handguns, with most decent adjustable sights, you'd practically have to use the gun as a hammer or boat anchor to mess them up. Yes, they ARE a bit bulkier, and yes, they ARE a bit more expensive, but no real disadvantages, unless you're dropping into swamps from helicopters on a survival mission.

So, the bottom line is actually I'd get whichever gun was a decent price, figuring a few bucks extra for the 'adjustable' sights is ok, since if my chosen loading is way off, it's gonna be faster and easier to 'adjust' than to file or bend, it may be worth the money. Once sighted in on a snubbie, if I wanted to be SURE it wouldn't shift from rough usage, I'd probably use the red locktite or even superglue, thus rendering it essentially a 'fixed sight' gun anyway.

Just my thoughts - and I'm not a LEO, survivalist, handgun hunter extrodinaire, or gun writer.

Just a guy who shoots handguns some. :wink:
now thats funny :lol:
for years we got issued S&W mod 10 on flight status and I can tell you there isn't a revolver made that is G.I. proof and yes that includes jumping out of helicopters into swamps,jungle and the sandbox. :lol: :lol:
pete
DAV life member.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

A 3" barrel gives you a full-lenght extractor rod, at least on the Smith's. Better option I think.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

For concealed carry the 2" gets my vote. Open holster carry would go to a 3" or more with adjustable sights.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I ditto the recommendation on a 3-inch, full-lugged Model 60 Smith and Wesson with adjustable sights. I have a 60-15 in .357 and find it the perfect rural carry gun. I fitted mine with large closed-back, fingergroove wood Smith and Wesson combat grips and find the gun very easy to shoot accurately single action. As a matter of fact, mine is sighted in at 50 yards. I can't begin to do that with my other J frames.

I generally shoot mine with 125 grain Remington Golden Saber loads. This is a mildy loaded .357 option. Another mild .357 load is 135 grain Speer Gold Dot. Both these loads are harder hitting and flatter shooting than .38+Ps, but not near as punishing as full-house .357 loads. I handload light .38 specials for practice.

I carry mine both IWB and OWB, depending on my need of the day. IMHO, these are the PERFECT 'kit' guns.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I'll take fixed sights every time and will bend them to my will, if necessary.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/repatriatedrugergp.html

Before

After
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

I doubt i could tell the difference between 2,5 or 3 inch barrel but i would always choose fixed sights... My current revolver is a 1 7/8 inch s&w 642 and the only regret i have is that it is too light to comfortably shoot imho..

get the 2,5 inch, make sure it is a 38 spcl and put a crimson lasergrip on it :)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

The fixed sight vs. adjustable sight discussion is a good one to have when talking kit guns. On guns solely designed for defense, I go with fixed sights. But, if I am going to be using my gun in the field to possibly take small game or incidental predators (coyote for ex.) then I definately want adjustable sights. I want to be able to precisely place my shot out to fifty yards or so, and I want to be able to do so with a variey of loads. Close enough is not good enough. It must be exact. It is possible to 'adjust' fixed sights for windage, but getting proper elevation means filing the front sight, welding it up, replacing it, or tailoring a specific load to the gun. I want to be able to try out new and different loads, and be sure I can quickly adjust my sights to hit precisely where I am aiming. I want the flexibility and accuracy adjustable sights offer when talking 'kit' gun. Also, I have been carrying adjustable-sighted revolvers through everything the outdoors has to offer (from the Rockies to the Mississipi) for over 35 years and never had a problem with their toughness.