25-20 Single Shot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

25-20 Single Shot

Post by Pop Watts »

Can anyone help with a slightly off topic question?

Just looking at the used guns web site in Australia I see a low wall for sale in 25-20 SS. Now I am sure that this is a totally different cartridge to the 25-20 WCF, but can I make cases for it from some other readily available cases?

I guess that you boys in the States can pick up cases for this calibre, but it will not be easy in Australia.

I will check with my local man when I can. but at the moment I am on holidays in Europe - so if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Pop.
CJM
Levergunner 1.0

Re: 25-20 Single Shot

Post by CJM »

I believe the 25-20 SS is a fairly unique case, but Bertram from down your way makes it. They don't have the best reputation about quality, but it may be your only option.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

The 25-20 SS looks like a slightly overgrown .22 Hornet. After reading all of the negative press on Bertram brass, and seeing that the people who used it regularly had no issues if they annealed the necks first, I opted to do the same. I'll see how many firings I get eventually out of them. BTW, my first loads shot very well in my LoWall, the second batch of loads is up now to be shot our next time out.

Ed
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Yes and No... Bertram does make brass but it is not to US spec for 25-20 ss as found in say the Stevens 44. I had a Stevens and the rim thickness of the bertram is about 10 thou thinner than the US brass. To avoid headspace problems I had to set the barrel back and rechamber. The previous owner was just smacking the rims with a ball peen hammer and then filing them to fit.
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

I've heard rumors that Jamison is going to do a run of .25-20 Single Shot brass in the near future. You might want to contact them and inquire.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Thanks for the responses.

I am looking into Bertram Brass.

Pop.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Buffalo Arms seems to have them in stock.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday Pop, if your hearts set on it, go for it. But we are in the same place, dont have the U.S. resources. Bertram brass can be very iffy. Suggest hold and wait for a 73 or 92 they are out there just waiting to be found. You wont get your money back on one of those in Australia. The 25-20 SS was not one of our favourites.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Telegraphist,

Thanks for the input. I am holding back at the moment.

I have some 92's already, but at the moment none in 25-20. Also a couple of 73's in 44-40 and some assorted 1894's. The single shot has a great appeal to me since I bought an OK example of a low wall in 32-20 a few months ago. I am having so much fun with it I am tempted to get some more.

So where are you in Queensland? I grew up in Collinsville, just a little inland from Bowen, but have lived in Sydney for a few years now.

Thanks again for the input.

Pop.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't let the Bertram be an issue. After reading above about the .010 headspace I measured mine, and yep they are spec. shy by .010....BUT....RCBS recommended their form dies for the .405 Winchester brass years ago forming from IIRC 9.3 Brass which gave around .017 headspace. My last round of 25-20 SS was loaded really stout...like a 97 gr cast bullet at 2000 fps stout. And the primers never backed out. Especially in the LoWall I wouldn't give that brass difference another thought.

The 2400 didn't work too well in my rifle...the IMR 4198 did work good, and next up is IMR 4227...Looking for the magic load.

BTW: There has been a sort of resurgence in the 25-20SS within the Black Powder long range community. Many are reporting what our forefathers already knew...it is a very accurate cartridge design.

Ed
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday Pop, I am located between Gympie and Tin Can Bay, the gateway to Fraser Island. When you get back to Aus Icelandic ash clouds permitting send me a PM and I will give you my number. If you pick up the 25/20 would be interested in how it shoots etc.

Rgds
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

It wasn't the safety factor so much as the brass was expensive and i wanted case life. On most of the s/s rifles it's not that hard to set the barrel back if you have to it's just something to be aware of. The last Bretram Brass I got was for a 6.5 drilling and there the rims were too thick by 10 thou and I had to turn each case. But the drilling is up and running.