Win 150 gr. Power Points for 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Win 150 gr. Power Points for 30-30

Post by cnjarvis »

Anyone have good luck with these?
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Before I switched to the LR's, I used the 150PP with good results, I had faster kills then the Rem 170's I had been using, be advised that I found the PP's a pretty tough bullet, I compared them with the LR's and 170's, and they actually retained the most weight percentage wise in the test med. I used.
The 150 Corelokts seem to open up a little faster then the PP's in case you want a quicker expansion.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

How do 30-30 PP's (and core-lokts) compare to Silvertips in the same weight bullet?
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Have no experience with the Silvertips, but from what I've read, they are a tougher bullet for larger critters, don't know how true that is.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I shot a nice doe last week with 150 core lockt at 40 yards in the neck (26 in barrel) it turned the vertebrae into oatmeal - dear was dead before it hit the ground. I have used these for years along with 125 hollow points - only difference is the recoil. The 150 left an exit hole about like a silver dollar. I have not used silvertips in years.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Yep they shoot great in my Marlin 336.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Shoots great in my scoped 16" Win94. I average about 2" at 100yds with them. Not so much in my Marlin.

As far as performance, the only thing I've shot with it of any worth was a coyote a little over 75yds. But buddy, it dropped it right there.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've shot a lot of Winchesters 150gr PP 30-30s. And I just finished loading some. But I've never killed anything but paper with them.

They have been accurate bullets from every 30-30 I've fired them from.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

The 150 's are great but I must say that I like the 170 better and the 170 federal Power-Shok even better. Not that one is really better than another but it's just a matter of preference.The Federal 170 seems to hold together better than the Winchesters for some reason. That's not a statement from any scientific test, just mho. Mike
If I can't shoot or pee off my own back porch when I want to then I'm not free and I won't live there. Thank you God for my freedom!