Way OT: Who Has A Droid?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Way OT: Who Has A Droid?

Post by Blaine »

I was looking at the Verizon/Google phone. I would not be an App crazy person, but Google, and Google Maps and the GPS might be cool. Does anyone have experience with how those features work on that phone? I'm thinking I don't need that much phone, and that a updatable GPS system like DeLorme might be alot better.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Way OT: Who Has A Droid?

Post by Dave »

Droid? What board do you think this is? We here are still using 100 year old rifles! What in the dadblame tarnation do you think guys like us would do with a droid? Many of us are still working on being able to post pics! :D
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I have one BlaineG, best phone I have ever had.
GPS is great, you can speak the address or what you want to find and the GPS takes you there. You can type it in if you want to. Google, Google maps even the browser are tied to each other, if you look up a gun shop on the web, just touch the phone number and it's dialed up ready to connect.
My home computer hardly ever gets used by me any more, the Droids browser is fast and easy to use. You don't even get a manual with the phone, just use it and it's obvious how to run it!
I have a top of the line Garmin hand held GPS, the Droid is easier to use and updates itself, she even talks you to your destinations :wink:
The apps are great also, tons of usefull free apps for just about anything. I could go on and on, it's quite a phone.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dave, I'm one of you guys.....That's why I'm asking. There is always a Whiz hiding among the LeverGunners. This is the best site in the world for finding out info on things.....

Thanks, Salvo, I didn't realize the GPS and Google worked that good on the Droid. Is the screen big enough?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What is the all-up cost of such a thing?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

These aren't the droids you are looking for...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

It's pretty big for a phone, the actual part of the screen that gets used is 3 1/4" x 1 7/8" but is extremely sharp and clear, the brightness adjust automatically. As long as your eyesight is good or corrected like mine, you soon forget your looking at a little screen. Some YouTube videos can be set to watch in HQ, unreal!

Hobie, Verizon has deals going on most of the time, I think without any deals they are around $600.00 and the unlimited phone and data packages are just under $100.00 a month. You can do much better than that, still Not cheap, but I could easily quite paying for DSL and phone service to my home if I wanted to.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:What is the all-up cost of such a thing?
I think the phone is 199.00 and then you'll need the extras for Who Knows, and the rate on my plan is going to double to get wireless broadband time, or whatever it's called :oops: I might stop by the Verizon store tomorrow and see about it.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Blaine, If they are already at $200.00 thats great! I should have waited awhile. All I bought extra was a protective snap on case and a car charger.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

awp101 wrote:These aren't the droids you are looking for...

:lol: :lol:

Good one!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Good one!!

jb 8)
I still don't get it.....Friday, ya know.. :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

jb 8)[/quote]

I still don't get it.....Friday, ya know.. :P[/quote]

Star Wars reference. Obi Wan uses mind trick to convince the storm troopers that they weren't looking for R2 and C3PO.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

soon 2 retire wrote:jb 8)
I still don't get it.....Friday, ya know.. :P[/quote]

Star Wars reference. Obi Wan uses mind trick to convince the storm troopers that they weren't looking for R2 and C3PO.

Bob in NE Indiana[/quote]

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

These aren't the droids you are looking for
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ewan McGregor has a movie/documentary called "Long Way Round" where he and a buddy ride BMWs around the world.
They are broke down on a Siberian dirt road, trying to put a drive chain back on one of the bikes when a car slows down to check them out...

"These are not the motorcycles you are looking for" McGregor says as he waves them on by. I had to explain to the wife that Ewan played Obi Wan in Episodes I through III. :lol:

Edited for spelling.
Last edited by vancelw on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

salvo wrote:I have one BlaineG, best phone I have ever had.
GPS is great, you can speak the address or what you want to find and the GPS takes you there. You can type it in if you want to. Google, Google maps even the browser are tied to each other, if you look up a gun shop on the web, just touch the phone number and it's dialed up ready to connect.
My home computer hardly ever gets used by me any more, the Droids browser is fast and easy to use. You don't even get a manual with the phone, just use it and it's obvious how to run it!
I have a top of the line Garmin hand held GPS, the Droid is easier to use and updates itself, she even talks you to your destinations :wink:
The apps are great also, tons of usefull free apps for just about anything. I could go on and on, it's quite a phone.
Yep what he said ^^^.
I love my Motorola Droid, awesome phone that does almost everything you could ask for. GPS turn by turn directions, Google maps integration, voice input for most text input boxes, instant photo uploads, too many Apps to list. Internet speed is decent and you can view websites the same way you would see them on your computer.

This was posted using my Droid.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I looked at the Droid and when I found out the cost of the data package I got put off. My Samsung Alias from Verizon also has turn by turn navigation and I don't have to pay for the data package. There is a small charge for the turn by turn but it's nothing like the data charge. After I looked at the Droid I figured the navigation is all I would use. YMMV
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

I have a Droid. I love it.

Love the GPS and navigation app. Love the screen and browser. Love the keyboard. Love having both work and personal (gmail) mail on the same device.

Love that it let's me read and post to levergunscommunity.com anytime, anyplace! So... this isn't OT after all!!!

Hay
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Been using a Blackberry (Verizon) for a couple years. Am interested in a Droid which would be free with 2 year "reenlistment". The data plan for the BB is $30/month. Is the data plan for the Droid also $30/mo.?
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

T3 -

If you don't need all the apps, a BlackBerry will probably do. I have google maps on mine and it does have a GPS built in. That being said, I'd get the droid (you are looking for'1 :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It may be that I don't need all the apps.....could be that all I really want is this, and the subscription of updated maps every year is 29.00 if you want the maps of everything everywhere of everything, etc..... Saw one on the Web for 230.00, cheaper than ordering from the company.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeC ... tion=10461

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

I've looked at the Droid. Looks pretty sharp. Now, looks like Apple may bring the iPhone to Verizon...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=32502
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rusty wrote:I looked at the Droid and when I found out the cost of the data package I got put off. My Samsung Alias from Verizon also has turn by turn navigation and I don't have to pay for the data package. There is a small charge for the turn by turn but it's nothing like the data charge. After I looked at the Droid I figured the navigation is all I would use. YMMV
I'm with Rusty. I "downgraded" from an HTC droid-ish uberphone with daqtapackage to an Alias 2. About 1/2 the monthly fees and almost all the features I want. Still lest me get email and get on Leverguns (if somewhat clunkily) but heck, I don't live in the City any more and what's the point of whiz-bang when the coverage only includes the whizz but not the bang?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!