Just got a 9422M and a 1892/.44 Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Just got a 9422M and a 1892/.44 Mag

Post by trooper joe »

Hi gang,

Been a while since I visited this forum (been seriously fooling around with handguns).

About 5 years ago I bought a "High Grade" (engraved receiver and beautiful wood) 9422 in .22 Cal. Kept it until about a year ago and traded it for a Browning Buckmark heavy barrel (even up at a local dealer). The Buckmark did not work so good for me (3 trips to the repair facility) so I traded it at the same dealer even up for my first Glock (G-19 9mm).

Really missed that 9422 and have been checking the gun shows and shops for a 9422M. Saw a few but very pricey and not near as nice as my first one. (The few I found were $575 on up and not very nice.)

Just found one at Gander's in Kentwood, Michigan, with a cheap scope and displayed in their glass case with other more select/rare guns. Got it for $499 plus tax and I could have kissed the guy :).

He took the scope off and the hammer extension and there is not a mark on the gun (will try and post some pictures after I shoot it). This must be a later model model since it has checkered stocks instead of the early plain ones.

I dry cycled a round through it last night and it seems smoother than silk.

Will try and shoot it today or tomorrow and post some pictures. I never shot a 22 Mag rifle before and am looking forward to it.

Also bought one of those high grade, made in Japan, 1892 rifles in .44 Mag (not the SRC but the short rifle model). Was not going to buy one of those rebound hammer Winchesters any more, but this one had a very nice trigger pull. Haven't shot it yet due to recovering from a double detached left eye retina. Been told by my doctor it is OK to shoot, but I think I will let the eye heal up a little before I try the .44 Mag (did find some Cowboy Action .44 Mag rounds so a may try those first).

Looking forward to browsing this forum on a daily basis and see what's going on.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Just got a 9422M and a 1892/.44 Mag

Post by Pete44ru »

[This must be a later model model since it has checkered stocks instead of the early plain ones.]

Welcome back from the dark side. ;) :mrgreen:

If that 9422 has a rubber bumper, it's a Legacy, if a HR BP it's an XTR. Also, IIRC, the Legacy had a 2/3 mag tube, but I'm unsure if it was applied across the entire Legacy line.
My 9422 Legacy .22 Mag was so tubed.

I'm lookin' forward to the pics of both rifles - that Japchester (Miroku) sounds like a nice variation.

trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Just got back from the range and the 9422M is great. Actually was able to get 1/2" to 3/4" groups with open sights at about 25 yards with these old eyes. Very smooth action and great trigger pull.

This is the first .22 Mag rifle I have ever shot and I think I am really going to like it.

I included some photos of my new, Winchester (made in Japan) Model 92 in .44 Mag. Since I am still working on a double detached retina in my left eye, I think I will start out just with the Cowboy Action loads. [This detached or damaged retina issue and shooting is quite interesting. Let me know if you want all the sordid details :)... I guess I am suffering from too many birthdays.]

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Trooper,
Too many is better than the alternative. :(
Enjoy your new levers.
BTW and WRT the retina problems, me too, but after recovery am back shooting rifles and shotguns, so hang in there.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Nice- I particularly like your 44Mag.

Jap Winchester branded 94's have not appeared here yet. Must say it looks good. Wood has a nice bit of pattern to it.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

What a DANDY '92! I am jealous............. :oops: :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Really, between the .44 Magnum and .22 Magnum, you've pretty much covered 99% of shooting needs,,, 8) 8)

Plus, you can get a handgun in each chambering to match, if you want. (...and in a wide variety - from the North American Arms .22 Mag 5-shot 1" revolver to a Freedom Arms .22 Magnum heavy SA revolver, to the 30-shot (magazine enclosed in handgun grip like a conventional) semiauto .22 Mag that's just been introduced, and .44 Magnum revolvers, or a Desert Eagle if you like BIG semiauto pistols... :mrgreen: )

Add a pointy-bullet long-range gun, and a charging-rhino blaster (& shoulder killer), and you've pretty much got a six-long-gun battery of international scope.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats!!! 8)