Hearing protection question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Hearing protection question

Post by J Miller »

I got my monthly NRA Store book and it had some hearing protectors called ZEM on the top of page 23. They are not regular ear muff types, more like a band with large filters and small cuffs that fit into the ears.
Supposedly the better of the two filters up to 31dB for use in indoor ranges.

Has anybody here got any experience with these units? I was thinking of getting a couple sets, but I have no experience with them at all.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
oldbrownhat
Levergunner

Re: Hearing protection question

Post by oldbrownhat »

I tried these a few years ago (with power tools) and wasn't impresssed. As I recall, I found they didn't stay in place if I moved around at all; they were very light and the headband wasn't particularly effective. I also was very sceptical of the 31 db NRR; this is better than the Peltor H-10, a serious circumaural industrial muff! I think they claim that they use some clever acoustical labrynth to achieve the desired result, but I wasn't convinced. Presumably they must work reasonably well or the company couldn't stay in business, and others may have had better luck with them, but I was disappointed and dumped them. I use custom-moulded ear plugs now and find them far better.

I also recently got a set of the Peltor "Combat Arms" double-ended plugs for the occas. shot for predator control on my property but haven't had a chance to try them out. One plug is sealed and protects from steady noise; the other is partly open and designed to reduce impact noise, such as gunfire, while allowing lower-level sounds through. If the coyotes come back I should have some idea how well they work.

:) Stuart
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
(Benjamin Franklin)
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I like my Dillon HP-1's. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Joe, I think I've come full circle on hearing protectors. The first thing I used was the G.I. issue rubber plugs that we all spit on before putting them down in the ear canal. Then I used a pair of Clark Muffs for a few years which were fine for handguns, but longarms are out of the question. Then I used the soft foam pillows that had a memory so you could squash them down and put them in your ear and they would expand back out. Then about a year ago I paid about $40 for a set of custom made plugs I got had made at a gunshow. those were the worst of all. Just this last week I went back to the G.I. issue kind and you know what? In retrospect they seem to work best of all for me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Fit is everything.

Around firearms I double up with foam earplugs and muffs from Elvex which are cheap but effective. I have several sets for various purposes, I even use one at work 8 hours a day. Regardless of the rating, if they don't fit well (or you put them on backwards) they don't work well.

They're on the web and sell wholesale to individuals.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

no experience with those
I just use the foam ones....
and shove them in until they touch each other
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

Joe, you forgot to ask how they hold up to cat urine! :lol:
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
oldbrownhat
Levergunner

Post by oldbrownhat »

.45 wrote:Joe, you forgot to ask how they hold up to cat urine! :lol:
:? OK, gentlemen, it appears that this fella requires plugs for hostile environments. We'll pass the request on to R&D and get back to you.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
(Benjamin Franklin)
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Does anybodyuse the re-chargeable Ryobi muffs? Trying to put battereis in my Peltors is exasperating.