Peep Sights for Marlin 1894 357 Magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MGTom
Levergunner

Peep Sights for Marlin 1894 357 Magnum

Post by MGTom »

I am thinking of using either the Williams FP or WGRS sight on my Marlin.
I know that either of these sights will hang over the receiver and require the use of the hammer extension.

Do any of you have pictures of your guns with these sights?
Any other suggestions or comments?

Tom
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've had a good experience with the XS ghost-ring sights.

The rear sight mounts on top of the receiver without having a bulky sight body on the side of the gun, and they don't hang over the back of the receiver.

Here's mine.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I also have the XS sights on my 1894c, like them alot.
Ricky

DWWC
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I have a Skinner peep sight on mine, You can screw the aperture out and make it a ghost ring. It looks just like FWiedner's in the picture above.

I ordered the front and rear sight together, but had to get a different front sight. Mr. Skinner was very good to deal with. When I emailed him that the front sight was too short he sent me a new one at no charge. He can make the front sight any height or width that you request.

No overhang and no drill and tap. The rear sight screws in the existing holes and the front sight is a drift fit.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

FWiedner wrote:I've had a good experience with the XS ghost-ring sights.

The rear sight mounts on top of the receiver without having a bulky sight body on the side of the gun, and they don't hang over the back of the receiver.

Here's mine.

I was just contemplating such a critter last night! Is that a standard Weaver mount?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

awp101 wrote:I was just contemplating such a critter last night! Is that a standard Weaver mount?
It is.

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ooooooooooooooh boy, looks like I found a use for my Holosight! :twisted:

One last question, I see the mount hangs over the barrel. Did you have to mount it TO the barrel as well since it sits so far forward on the receiver?

Thanks!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I mounted my little Williams (I think it is the FP - long time since I bought it) on the FRONT scope holes, because I didn't want it back over the hammer area. Works fine for gongs. Going to find out if Bambi is similarly vulnerable next year... :twisted:

The other gun in photo is Marlin's Puma 'twin' only it is in .454; tang sight for it. More fragile sight, but slightly slicker action (they are BOTH very smooth - I just followed tips scattered on this forum, and it really helped both guns.)

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

This is the Williams FP 336 on my 1894 SS .44Mag..
It looks like the sight is in the way BUT in the photo the hammer is down. At half cock there is ample room to access it without problem and I have 5 1894`s with this sight and have never felt the need for a hammer extension.
Also when I hunt with one of these rifles the sight aperture is removed giving more thumb room.
Some people have drilled and taped another hole in line with the rear two to set the sight farther forward and in the same location it would set if mounted on a 336.
I like them as is! :wink:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Williams makes an FP for the Marlin 1894 that doesn't overhang the receiver like Chuck's does. It fits just right and works great. I don't have a picture handy...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I just ordered a tang sight for mine, I want the closer eye relief. The extra sight radius may help a little, too. But mostly it's easier to adjust than anything else.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Grizz wrote:Williams makes an FP for the Marlin 1894 that doesn't overhang the receiver like Chuck's does. It fits just right and works great. I don't have a picture handy...
Looks like this , and I did not need to change the front sight 8)

Phil
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

awp101 wrote:Ooooooooooooooh boy, looks like I found a use for my Holosight! :twisted:

One last question, I see the mount hangs over the barrel. Did you have to mount it TO the barrel as well since it sits so far forward on the receiver?

Thanks!
I did not.

The base is held by the the two receiver screws. If I was more imaginative I would have looked for a way to support the front end of the base better, just because it seems like it should be done, but I couldn't think if anything that didn't involve d&t'ing another hole.

As it is now, it seems very stable. The .357 has a light recoil, and I don't leave the Eotech mounted except for when I'm using it, so the mount doesn't take much stress. I've had it mounted this way for 2 years now and it's not yet wiggled loose.

Of course, I haven't performed any impact testing by dropping it or bashing it against a rock or a tree yet... :lol:

In hindsight, I might have opted for a scout-mount if I'd had the hardware handy when I was putting this together.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hmmm, a scout mount would be a good idea as well. I guess I'd better start looking to see who makes one.:lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

1894 , Your rifle is an early one and is D&T on the side for the Williams 94/336 Yes-No? Your sight is the 5D. Nice rifle with no safety and saddle ring ! :wink:
I did not want to D&T mine so just went with the 336 sight. I am happy with them. :wink:
MGTom
Levergunner

Post by MGTom »

Thanks for the pictues and comments.
Thinking about the sight possabilities beats the hell out of working!

Tom (Retired)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[a scout mount would be a good idea as well. I guess I'd better start looking to see who makes one]

XS Express LeverScout mount. You now have the choice between either a full-length of half-length rail. Either can be used in conjunction with a peep - the 1/2 length with a Skinner or regular XS, and the full with an XS clamp-on peep for Weaver rails.

Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:1894 , Your rifle is an early one and is D&T on the side for the Williams 94/336 Yes-No? Your sight is the 5D. Nice rifle with no safety and saddle ring ! :wink:
I did not want to D&T mine so just went with the 336 sight. I am happy with them. :wink:
Correct on all counts , it's a '71 vintage my Dad gave to me when I was around 8 years old. The only upgrades I've done in 35 years is add the 5D and get one of Juniors saddle ring slings. And try to wear out the barrel by shooting it alot.
Phil
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I used the Williams WGRS in the front set of holes on my 1894c, and used a Lymann 17 AHB globe sight up front. I'm real pleased with the way it sights and if I want a "ghost ring", all I have to do is remove the aperature.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pete44ru wrote:[a scout mount would be a good idea as well. I guess I'd better start looking to see who makes one]

XS Express LeverScout mount. You now have the choice between either a full-length of half-length rail. Either can be used in conjunction with a peep - the 1/2 length with a Skinner or regular XS, and the full with an XS clamp-on peep for Weaver rails.

Thanks, I found that one on the XS site right after I posted. Now to see if Midway carries them since I "need" to place an order anyway...
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at