357 Maxium Lever gun has anyone made one yet?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

357 Maxium Lever gun has anyone made one yet?

Post by dgr416 »

I keep asking this but I never get an answer so I thought I would try again.I think it would make an awesome carbine.The 327 Federal would to but i think it will never happen with Marlin going out!!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: 357 Maxium Lever gun has anyone made one yet?

Post by Terry Murbach »

OF COURSE IT HAS BEEN DONE. A '94 WINCHESTER IN 357MAG IS EASILY CONVERTED. BUT THEN......BUT THEN ...!!!....YOU STOP AND THINK FOR A MOMENT AND REALIZE YOU SCREWED UP BIGTIME BY NOT HAVING IT CONVERTED TO THE 357ULTRAMAXSUPERDUPER THAT WHOMPS ALL OVER THE 357MAX's BACKSIDE, AND DOES IT AT HALF--THAT IS LIKE 1/2--THE PRESSURES YOU HAVE TO USE IN THE 357MAX. PRETTY SILLYAZZED CHOICE YOU MADE HUH !!??

THE 357ULTRAMAXSUPERDUPER IS AND HAS BEEN COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS THE 35REMINGTON SINCE 1908 OR SOMESUCH DATE. YEP, I KID YOU NOT, THE 35REM, AND WHAT A JEWEL IT REALLY AND TRULY IS IN A GOOD LEVERACTION 20" CARBINE. OH BOY !!!
AND SO IT GOES.....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Do the BFR people still make a revolver in .35 Rem.???
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Terry Murbach wrote:...THE 357ULTRAMAXSUPERDUPER THAT WHOMPS ALL OVER THE 357MAX's BACKSIDE, AND DOES IT AT HALF--THAT IS LIKE 1/2--THE PRESSURES YOU HAVE TO USE IN THE 357MAX. PRETTY SILLYAZZED CHOICE YOU MADE HUH !!??.....
Yeah... except for the ability to shoot a whole bunch of off the shelf factory pistol ammo in a pinch... and the ability to feed a handgun with the same ammo...

Otherwise, I agree.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It needs a longer-than-carbine action to work well, and the next common size up will chamber a .35 Remington, which is a bit more power.

In the carbine length, perhaps a .357/44 B&D would be easy to make from any .44 Mag levergun, which is almost as potent as the .357 Max.

Some have loaded 'up' the .357 by using a 'Max' case, trimmed to just a hair longer than the .357 Mag, and found it feeds ok (several cartridge designations out there), but of course requires a 'worked up' load vs. full .357 Max charge, due to smaller case capacity.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My mama always said thars nuffing new under da sun!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Buck Elliott wrote:Do the BFR people still make a revolver in .35 Rem.???
THAT would be cool.... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

327 or 357?

If it's 357, Image
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

dgr416 wrote:I keep asking this but I never get an answer so I thought I would try again.I think it would make an awesome carbine.The 327 Federal would to but i think it will never happen with Marlin going out!!
You always do get an answer and you never listen! It is always the same. Yes, it has been tried and found wanting. Yes, you could do this or that but it was tried and found wanting. Give it 6-8 months and you or somebody else will ask again. Meanwhile do what Terry suggests. MUCH cheaper and likely more satisfactory in the long run.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
revorg
Levergunner

Post by revorg »

Terry may have been wrong once or twice but it wasn't lately. :mrgreen:
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

revorg wrote:Terry may have been wrong once or twice but it wasn't lately. :mrgreen:
AND TO TOP IT OFF I WAS WRONG ONCE IN 1966 AND I HAVE NOT HEARD THE END OF THAT SUMBISCUIT YET !!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote: Give it 6-8 months and you or somebody else will ask again.
...but we keep hoping we'll get a different answer this time... :wink:

If I were a zillionaire, I'd make up a levergun action that would be enough longer in the 'carbine' version to handle the .357 Maximum (and sturdy enough to take the pressures), and chamber it in two versions... .357 Maximum, and .454 Casull.

THEN I'd make a 'long action' version and have it set up for .350 Remington Mag, and .460 S&W.

Between those four, you'd have it just about all covered, from Coyotes to Buffalo.

I might 'top it off' by making a shorter action yet, in .327 Federal Mag, and .22 WMR, .22 LR, and .17 HMR.

:mrgreen:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Not really the platform you're looking for but a lot of people are taking the .357 Handi Rifles and reaming them out to Max.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:Not really the platform you're looking for but a lot of people are taking the .357 Handi Rifles and reaming them out to Max.
Using the 'shotgun' framed .357 Mag Handis can pose problems due to the primer flowing back into the larger firing pin hole, supposedly, or even rupturing, so many recommend using a 'rifle' framed .357 Mag Handi for the project. I forget the frame designation.

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

uummmm, yup :shock:

It was made in 1876, it was .377 so only slightly bigger than .357 and it had a cartridge just over 2" long.
They called it the 38-55 Winchester :lol: :lol: :lol:
and it pushes a 250gr bullet at up to 1800 fps.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

dgr416 wrote:I keep asking this but I never get an answer so I thought I would try again.I think it would make an awesome carbine.The 327 Federal would to but i think it will never happen with Marlin going out!!
AS I READ THIS POST;"HAS ANY MANUFACTURER PRODUCED A CARBINE IN .357 MAX?" SHOULD BE EASY TO ANSWER WITHOUT GETTING SARCASTIC. :roll: I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING ABOUT REAMING OUT THE CHAMBER, OR FEEDING MODIFICATIONS, OR EQUIVALENT/BETTER CARTRIDGES. THE OP ALSO REFERRED TO THE 327 MAG, AS ANOTHER CARBINE ALL TOGETHER, HE JUST LEFT OFF ONE "O" IN TOO...

BTW, I'VE NOT SEEN THE ANSWER YET!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

mikld wrote:
AS I READ THIS POST;"HAS ANY MANUFACTURER PRODUCED A CARBINE IN .357 MAX?" SHOULD BE EASY TO ANSWER WITHOUT GETTING SARCASTIC. :roll: I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING ABOUT REAMING OUT THE CHAMBER, OR FEEDING MODIFICATIONS, OR EQUIVALENT/BETTER CARTRIDGES. THE OP ALSO REFERRED TO THE 327 MAG, AS ANOTHER CARBINE ALL TOGETHER, HE JUST LEFT OFF ONE "O" IN TOO...
Ok, here it is...

NO. No Manufacturer has made a carbine chambered in .357 Maximum. Succinct enough? :D (The sarcasm is hard to resist... once one has been to the darkside all these discussions do seem silly). :P Why would one WANT such an animal?

Now the long version. Several have written of Winchester 94s so converted. On paper, it does look promising... but as has been discussed here before, there are other cartridges that do the same, and at less expense. Performance is lacking. Also, consider, one of the sore spots in .357 Maximum revolvers I continually heard was of throat erosion. This from those guys that think Unlmtd Handgun Silhouette is the end all, be all of competition and loved their Dan Wessons... except for that pesky throat erosion. I thought it'd make a dandy conversion also... until I talked to guys with .357 Maxs.

As to the .327 Federal. 1) Is Marlin not just changing the site of their production? 2) I haven't looked, but what would the .327 Federal do that the .32 Mag doesn't? Except of course, give you a companion lever gun to go with your Ruger.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Griff wrote:
mikld wrote:
Ok, here it is...

NO. No Manufacturer has made a carbine chambered in .357 Maximum. Succinct enough? :D (The sarcasm is hard to resist... once one has been to the darkside all these discussions do seem silly). :P Why would one WANT such an animal?

Now the long version. Several have written of Winchester 94s so converted. On paper, it does look promising... but as has been discussed here before, there are other cartridges that do the same, and at less expense. Performance is lacking. Also, consider, one of the sore spots in .357 Maximum revolvers I continually heard was of throat erosion. This from those guys that think Unlmtd Handgun Silhouette is the end all, be all of competition and loved their Dan Wessons... except for that pesky throat erosion. I thought it'd make a dandy conversion also... until I talked to guys with .357 Maxs.

As to the .327 Federal. 1) Is Marlin not just changing the site of their production? 2) I haven't looked, but what would the .327 Federal do that the .32 Mag doesn't? Except of course, give you a companion lever gun to go with your Ruger.
Thank you. Finlly a definative answer. But, if nobody thought "I wonder this would work?" or "What if I straightened out the shoulder on this..." where would we be? I'm sure there are a whole lot of cartridges that have the same or nearly the same ballistics, but they are still used. I doubt if there is a cartridge that hasn't been invented/modified/shortened/sized up or down. Way back when, didn't someone think "why don't I just open the mouth of my thutty-thutty to 35 caliber?" (or maybe it's the other way around?). How many here would have said "don't waste your time, you can do the same thing with....".

And who would want one? . The same guy that wants a '92 in .32 Mag., or a S&W in .22 Hornet, or a 10" Contender in 45-70. Check the posts about the 4 and 8 bore double rifles! Who in their right mind would want one? As an admitted Gun Nut, I would. Why? Just because!

And if there were a limit on the number of times a question can be asked there wouldn't be much traffic on the forum, now would there? There seems to be a lot of "I just bought this Win. '94, did I pay too much?" and "what's a 1894 Marlin worth?" They still deserve respect and a decient answer. :!:
Last edited by mikld on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

DON'T GET MOUTHY TO US BECAUSE YOU DID NOT THINK FAR ENOUGH TO ASK THE CORRECT QUESTION !!
YOU DID NOT--NOT!!!--ASK IF ANY MANUFACTURER EVER MADE A 357MAX LEVERGUN.
FURTHERMORE, IF YOU HAD BOTHERED TO READ THE HISTORY OF WHAT YOU PURPORT TO BE INTERESTED IN YOU'D HAVE KNOWN THE ANSWER ALREADY, AND ALSO WOULD HAVE KNOWN WHY THEY DID NOT YET NOR WILL THEY EVER IN ALL PROBASBILITY EVER MAKE A LEVER ACTION RIFLE OR CARBINE IN THE 357 MAXIMUM,[ M-A-X-I-M-U-M ] CARTRIDGE.
AND SO IT GOES...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Terry Murbach wrote:DON'T GET MOUTHY TO US BECAUSE YOU DID NOT THINK FAR ENOUGH TO ASK THE CORRECT QUESTION !!
YOU DID NOT--NOT!!!--ASK IF ANY MANUFACTURER EVER MADE A 357MAX LEVERGUN.
FURTHERMORE, IF YOU HAD BOTHERED TO READ THE HISTORY OF WHAT YOU PURPORT TO BE INTERESTED IN YOU'D HAVE KNOWN THE ANSWER ALREADY, AND ALSO WOULD HAVE KNOWN WHY THEY DID NOT YET NOR WILL THEY EVER IN ALL PROBASBILITY EVER MAKE A LEVER ACTION RIFLE OR CARBINE IN THE 357 MAXIMUM,[ M-A-X-I-M-U-M ] CARTRIDGE.
AND SO IT GOES...
I'M SURE MR. MURBACH HAS AN INFINATE AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE WITH FIREARMS, AND HE IS TREATED LIKE THE "BELOVED OLD CURMUDGEN" ON THIS FORUM. JUST TOO BAD HE CAN'T ACT LIKE A GENTLEMAN WITH HIS REPLIES. MOUTHY?, YOU AINT SEEN NOTHIN' YET...
Mike
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:
Hobie wrote: Give it 6-8 months and you or somebody else will ask again.
...but we keep hoping we'll get a different answer this time... :wink:

If I were a zillionaire, I'd make up a levergun action that would be enough longer in the 'carbine' version to handle the .357 Maximum (and sturdy enough to take the pressures), and chamber it in two versions... .357 Maximum, and .454 Casull.

THEN I'd make a 'long action' version and have it set up for .350 Remington Mag, and .460 S&W.

Between those four, you'd have it just about all covered, from Coyotes to Buffalo.

I might 'top it off' by making a shorter action yet, in .327 Federal Mag, and .22 WMR, .22 LR, and .17 HMR.

:mrgreen:

DocAJ,

OR ?? :) We could just have one-------------------- :idea: a 45-70 Lever :lol: :?: Had to throw that in Doc.
(Even works pretty decent for Coyotes! Blasted one last year with a 325 gr LEVERevolution rd at 250yrds and it dropped it like a 7mm mag!)

PS-----------You probably are a Zillionare :shock: All Doctor's I think are! :lol:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

2) I haven't looked, but what would the .327 Federal do that the .32 Mag doesn't? Except of course, give you a companion lever gun to go with your Ruger.
I think that's pretty much it really. It's a very nice shooting round, 8 rounds out of a nice stainless Ruger, and would zip along nicely out of a 16" 1892 which would be a joy to hold and carry. I'd love to have one! Just because. :wink:

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mikld wrote:

He and others have been told, no. They then ask about who might convert one and so it goes. Yes, you've seen the answer, it has been in the posts on this forum about every 6-8 months since 2003 that I know of.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Gee Hobie maybe we need to make a sticky of things that keep coming up from time to time.

They don't make X,Y,Z.

You can't do A,B,C.

And given enough time and money it could be done.

Reminds me of another joke.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Time to undo the collar buttons and let the steam out, fellers... No need for anyone to get rowdy here. At the same time, I've always figgered it behooved the guy asking the questions to have at least done SOME homework, before posting... :?

Now--- Why would any one want a levergun in .357 Maximum? What difference does it make to the rest of us???? I've toyed with the notion myself, at times. If one has a revolver chambered for the cartridge, it would make perfect sense. It could be an interesting combo...

That said, the .357 Maximum is one of those "almost" cartridges... It's niche was in the handgun silhouette game, where it earned somewhat of a reputation. It was hard on Ruger Maximum revolvers, because the OAL of the cylinder was just a little too short, and it started cutting topstraps with high-pressure loads. The Dan Wesson revolver -- with its slightly longer cylinder -- did not appear to have that problem, at least not in the same degree. Forcing cone erosion also raised its ugly head, but not to the degree it was rumored. Neither "problem" would be a problem in a lever-action rifle.

So --- Is there a large enough market for such a chambering in an existing lever-action rifle/carbine to make it a viable product? Not hardly... THAT is why no one MAKES one... Is there a big enough potential market to warrent the expense of designing a new action to handle it? Not on your tintype, brother... That is why no one makes one... :wink:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Time for another what should I carry for bears thread. Thats the subject that always gets to me!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:But, if nobody thought "I wonder this would work?" or "What if I straightened out the shoulder on this..." where would we be? I'm sure there are a whole lot of cartridges that have the same or nearly the same ballistics, but they are still used. I doubt if there is a cartridge that hasn't been invented/modified/shortened/sized up or down. Way back when, didn't someone think "why don't I just open the mouth of my thutty-thutty to 35 caliber?" (or maybe it's the other way around?). How many here would have said "don't waste your time, you can do the same thing with....".

And who would want one? . The same guy that wants a '92 in .32 Mag., or a S&W in .22 Hornet, or a 10" Contender in 45-70. Check the posts about the 4 and 8 bore double rifles! Who in their right mind would want one? As an admitted Gun Nut, I would. Why? Just because!

And if there were a limit on the number of times a question can be asked there wouldn't be much traffic on the forum, now would there? There seems to be a lot of "I just bought this Win. '94, did I pay too much?" and "what's a 1894 Marlin worth?" They still deserve respect and a decient answer. :!:
+1 on all of the above points...

Sometimes I have the same feeling here that I get when I'm in one of those gun shops where a newbie walks in, asks a question, and immediately is made to feel the fool for asking it. Then, after the person leaves, the 'regulars' stand around and talk about how sad it is that there just aren't enough young people interested in the shooting sports these days. Maybe one reason should be obvious.

I notice that dgr416 hasn't posted a "thanks for the info", or "what about ...", or "how come..." response - not much need to, judging by many of the posts.

There are lots of reasons a person may ask a question 'again' - maybe they are like me and forgot/lost the previous answer, or maybe they want to know if there is 'new' information on the topic. WHERE ELSE WOULD YOU SUGGEST THEY QUERY, IF NOT HERE...? Perhaps we could make a rule, that unless you can document you've done a thorough internet search of all the other levergun sites, you cannot post a question here, because it wastes our time. Evidently, we're too "expert" or "busy" to waste our time on trivial matters like that.

Even searching right here on Leverguns isn't always going to work; I've many times had questions on things like .32-20 stuff, and it is VERY hard to search for, maybe because of the hyphen. Other times I just don't remember the term the author used for something, and it takes many tries to find it, or I just misspell it. Yes, I know that '357 Maximum' wouldn't likely be hard to search for, but it's not like the guy called us away from important business to bother us answering a question. If I can't remember what IMR powder works best for a .35 Remington 220 grain JSP, and I'm at the local gun shop, I can either ask to look at their Lyman manual, and not interact with the owner or the other customers, or I can ask "Hey, what IMR powder is best for the .35 Remington?" The latter approach gets me an answer, perhaps a range of opinions, and may start some informative dialogue, and to me is quite appropriate. It's not like I'm tapping the owner on the shoulder in the midst of a big sale to interrupt and ask the question, at least not in a 'forum' environment.

I hope Leverguns is not becoming like one of those gunshops - the ones 'ok' for the experienced, thick-skinned shooters to venture into, but a place for kids, women, or inexperienced newbies to avoid... :(

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Really I think this darn thread just got started off wrong, BUT being honest now, the way the statement of (I keep asking but get no answer deal) :?:

Man, wouldn't it have just been better to say somthing next time like (Help Please :?: :oops: .357 Maximum issue)

I think by and large everyone really tries to help here, but when asking for help it sure helps to be very respectful.

Kinda like saying to waitress at a restraunt you visit when being seated (as your sitting down to the waitress "boy the coffee was cold last time"
How about instead (how are you doing today mam? Boy could I sure use a nice hot cup of coffee :D )
Its all in the presentation! Treating someone like you would like to be treated! :wink:

I never see this being a place where anyone being either (man/women/child)not being welcomed/respected.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When I read the question, I didn't necessarily assume 'we' were the ones he "hadn't been able to get an answer" from, so I didn't take it as an affront. I just figured he had 'asked around' or searched the internet a bit, and maybe got conflicting answers. When I first asked around on the same question, some guys told me Marlin made one (found out later they meant the .35 Rem), but other guys said nobody did. Still another said "I think Browning still makes one..." So I guess at that point, I'd probably have said I "haven't been able to get an answer" or something along that line. Of course some folks did feel obliged to point out to me why it was a stupid idea, and ask why in the world I'd want one, but I sorta let stuff like that roll off, or agreed, and (just to annoy them) pointed out what I really wanted was a bolt-gun in .358 BOS Magnum. :shock:

Anyway, I'm not trying to beat the dead horse, or nit-pick someone's word choice, or guess his hidden meaning or intent. I'm just trying to encourage others to give folks some slack, rather than flack.... :wink:

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Understood DocAJ :wink:
" The Bolt Gun in .358 BOS Mag cranking" :lol: :oops: Shame,Shame,Shame :)
Good points all around.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

if a .357 max could be done on the rossi 65 action, i'd get one. makes sense, more options.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I hope Leverguns is not becoming like one of those gunshops - the ones 'ok' for the experienced, thick-skinned shooters to venture into, but a place for kids, women, or inexperienced newbies to avoid...
Amen! We've several shops like that in Tucson and I really dislike it. I'm thick skinned and can take it but it sets my teeth on edge to witness it.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Now, take ya a Marlin 1894 in .45, rework it using the "WiddermAJik mods to operate with a short round along about 1.225", put a .357 barrel on it chambered for .38-45 BUT make it .38-45 RIMMED, and use Cowboy .45 Special instead of ACP as yer donor brass, and shaazaaaammm, ya got yer earsasplitten loudenboomer in .357 that would load 10+1 in a 16" carbine, and 17+1 in a 24" rifle.

OR, take the concept to long brass, make ya a .38-45 Rimmed starting with .45 Colt cases..... Keep yer pressures wo 32K or so, use slow enough powder, that thing oughtta make the .357 carbine walk and talk. Ya'd need a .45 Marlin and a .357 barrel, a chamber reamer, etc....
Certified gun nut
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Booger Bill wrote:Time for another what should I carry for bears thread. Thats the subject that always gets to me!
Bears ?? Who´s worried about Bears. I more concerned about runaway Toyotas !
One thing I have witnessed going through life.. If you want to try something.. have at it. Because for sure if you ask someone thier opinion they will 90 % of the time try to shoot you down.
I would wonder how many good ideas have been destroyed because no one along the way gave a little encouragement ?
Well having read all the NAY sayers have at it... I say if you want one build it. It´s your nickle !
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

adirondakjack wrote:Now, take ya a Marlin 1894 in .45, rework it using the "WiddermAJik mods to operate with a short round along about 1.225", put a .357 barrel on it chambered for .38-45 BUT make it .38-45 RIMMED, and use Cowboy .45 Special instead of ACP as yer donor brass, and shaazaaaammm, ya got yer earsasplitten loudenboomer in .357 that would load 10+1 in a 16" carbine, and 17+1 in a 24" rifle.

OR, take the concept to long brass, make ya a .38-45 Rimmed starting with .45 Colt cases..... Keep yer pressures wo 32K or so, use slow enough powder, that thing oughtta make the .357 carbine walk and talk. Ya'd need a .45 Marlin and a .357 barrel, a chamber reamer, etc....
Those sound like fun projects... 8)

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well fellas, I'm sorry if you don't like my tone. I didn't like the tone of the original post. However, we've got the answers in the last couple of times the question has been asked. The answers haven't really changed since 2003 although we've lost those. I really don't think I should have to put in the time to re-write the long version every time this comes up.

The 'one sticky' seems to have died and most complain about the many sticky posts. It seems, too, that most often the questioner can't/won't do an easy search for the data. In fact, while the guys who have actually converted guns are on the forum, they seem to be so put off that they've not responded. But, in this case, we're actually accused of not answering the question. Twice. That's absolute rubbish.

On the other hand it would be something to ADD to the conversation by providing new or newly discovered information or experiences. That would be constructive.

I feel the cartridge has some advantages for the reloader and/or user of certain small, light, compact SINGLE-SHOT rifles. It doesn't suit current leverguns. I

Buck, thanks for your post.

If you guys can't use the search for some reason let me know.

.357 Max in Carbine...
Sincerely,

Hobie

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Hobie wrote:Well fellas, I'm sorry if you don't like my tone. I didn't like the tone of the original post. However, we've got the answers in the last couple of times the question has been asked. The answers haven't really changed since 2003 although we've lost those. I really don't think I should have to put in the time to re-write the long version every time this comes up.

The 'one sticky' seems to have died and most complain about the many sticky posts. It seems, too, that most often the questioner can't/won't do an easy search for the data. In fact, while the guys who have actually converted guns are on the forum, they seem to be so put off that they've not responded. But, in this case, we're actually accused of not answering the question. Twice. That's absolute rubbish.

On the other hand it would be something to ADD to the conversation by providing new or newly discovered information or experiences. That would be constructive.

I feel the cartridge has some advantages for the reloader and/or user of certain small, light, compact SINGLE-SHOT rifles. It doesn't suit current leverguns. I

Buck, thanks for your post.

If you guys can't use the search for some reason let me know.

.357 Max in Carbine...

Hobie, Sir, with all due respect, seems like a day at the range is in order ;)

Some of our members don't know this topic is old, and some of us wouldn't remember if it was posted 6 mos ago. I personally HAVE read old threads, thought "gee, this sounds interesting" only to find MY OWN POST on the thread, and don't even remember it......

After my loadbook was lost in a move, I went in search of a recipe for a certain cartridge/powder, only to find my own data on an old post.......
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

adirondakjack wrote:Some of our members don't know this topic is old, and some of us wouldn't remember if it was posted 6 mos ago. I personally HAVE read old threads, thought "gee, this sounds interesting" only to find MY OWN POST on the thread, and don't even remember it......
:oops: ...that's happened to me, as well... :oops:

4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I see it as a cartidge too big for a handgun and too small for a rifle,it was the answer to a question never asked.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Hobie

Re: 357 MaxiMum Lever gun has anyone made one yet?

Post by Hobie »

I might be due a day at the range. It has been a tough year or two. Still, I recognize the same names asking the same questions. That, however isn't the point. This particular thread started off with an accusatory tone. Not a question, not a comment on the cartridge or bemoaning the lack of such a rifle, but an accusation. I'm afraid I've fed a t**** (That's not quite fair of me to say. DGR416 isn't a troll as the term is commonly used. I do think that he was trying to instigate a certain type of response to which I succumbed. . For that I most humbly apologize.

BTW, I've looked for those old photos of those rifles, I was certain I'd saved them, but I can't find them at the moment. I'm hoping they weren't accidentally deleted. It isn't as if there's no info out there even if some of it is wrong (but obviously so).

- .357 maximum Lever gun? from Shooters Forum
- Experience rechambering to 357 MAXfrom Shooters Forum
- Re-chamber to 357 Maximum?from Shooters Forum
- The 357 Maximum Rifle by Ed Harmon
- who can build me a 357 max lever action rifle? on GunBroker Forums
- Interarms Lever Action 357 Maximum from the Firing Line Forum
- Steve Cutter's .357 Maximum Guest Book
- 357 Maximum lever rifle from the Cast Boolits forum
- 357 Maximum Rounds are huge! from the High Road forum
- The 357 Maximum is my favorite reloader round from the High Road forum
- .357 Maximum ? from the High Road forum
- Marlin 1894C in .357 Maximum from right here
- Converting an 1894 Marlin to .357 Max
- 357 Maximum Conversion from the Ruger forum
- .357 maximum rifle project? from the Cast Boolits forum
- Converting a Levergun

So have a go.
Sincerely,

Hobie

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You know "I think" I've read every thread about chambering a lever gun for the .357 Max. but I don't remember anybody actually doing it. At one time I thought I read somebody was considering, but did they actually complete the project?
So until I see someone actually do it and report on it I will have questions of; why not.
Personally I think for experimental purposes the Mdl 94 Win in .357 is a perfect candidate for the experiment. It's long enough to handle the length. And probably strong enough.

So, I'm looking forward to somebody with a Win 94 .357 doing this conversion then reporting back why it did or didn't work. How about it .... somebody ... anybody?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
B-92 Steven
Levergunner

Post by B-92 Steven »

drg416 may well be a troll. He/she has not responded to any of these posts. Hobie is human, he will continue to do the best he can. Live and learn. Now what about those bears and the best caliber?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

B-92 Steven wrote:drg416 may well be a troll.
Do "trolls" post 109 posts over two years...?

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/searc ... 602593c440

Maybe instead of just requiring proof they've done a thorough 'search' before daring to post a question, and requiring they word it 'politely' so we don't take offense, we could also require they post a certain number of posts before being nice to them.
B-92 Steven wrote:Hobie is human
Are you sure about that...? Have you actually met him in person? Could he not actually be a cyberspace phantom of some sort? :lol:

Seriously, even though I'm playing Devil's Advocate a bit here, I do realize he has to deal with alot of silliness from all of us, 'trolls' or otherwise. I'm amazed sometimes at his level-headedness, given our tendency to turn the campfire into a saloon-brawl now and then.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

By gosh, I still think we need to send that Hobie/Wife on a nice little getaway. :wink:
Only requirement from him {no computer of any kind}for at least a week.(boy,we would be in trouble) :(

Only pics required when he gets back is one where he is just chilling with one of those little umbrella drinks! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Cut it out. I already did my mea culpa for calling DGR416 a troll. He isn't.
Sincerely,

Hobie

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

mea culpa ??????????????

There you guy's go again using those big words???????????
I spend more time switching to Google to see what things mean than reading the posts. :lol:

It's no one's fault, and I am sending a big group(at least by my mental brainwaves) Hug! :oops:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

madman4570 wrote:mea culpa ??????????????

There you guy's go again using those big words???????????
I spend more time switching to Google to see what things mean than reading the posts. :lol:

It's no one's fault, and I am sending a big group(at least by my mental brainwaves) Hug! :oops:
"Don't get mad at a guy who knows more than you do. It ain't his fault..."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry --- I couldn't help myself... :?
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Buck,

Friend, you hit the nail right on the head with that one! :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:. . . I am sending a big group . . . Hug! :oops:
:roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll: - :roll:

I don't know about you guys, but I have the weekend off, lots of farm-chores to do, and it's nice outside. . .
. . . so while you guys enjoy your big group hug :shock: , I'm headed to the range to test my 10/22's new barrel out... 8)

...later, I'll get to the chores :( (before the wife gets home from work :wink: ).

As for Hobie - he done already said "me-a-culpa*" so we should outta quit pickin' on him.

I'm sure ridin' herd on this bunch (except innocent little me of course) is many times a tiring and thankless job.

* ( :wink: ...I think the 'Culpas' is some VA street gang, and you don't wanna rile them up...)

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

But--------I have everyday off! :wink: :D
Its not easy but someone has to do it! :)