Browning Model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Browning Model 71

Post by JFE »

I have a pair of these, a rifle and a recently purchased carbine. The rifle has no "Made in Japan" reference on the barrel, whereas the carbine does. I realise that may not mean much, but were all of them made in Japan ? Also, how many of each model were made ?

One is going to become a 45/90 and I've not decided which one yet, but I rather like the handling of the carbine and I'm thinking of keeping this one as is. I think its has a more lively feel and can see it becoming a favorite rifle for hunting in heavy cover. There's only 4oz weight difference but it is weighted quite nicely. I'll see how it performs with loads developed for the rifle before making a final decision. The rifle is easily the most accurate levergun I have so a tough call.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Browning Model 71

Post by Ravenman »

JFE. Congratulations you made a great buy :!: These 71 Brownings are great! Found following information:
Winchester made 47,254 Model 71s. Browning made 4,000 20" carbines and 3,000 24" rifles in standard grade, and 3,000 of each in deluxe grade.
I have a Browning 71 High Grade and that's for sure a keeper!

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The .348 WCF has the same rim diameter as the .50 EX, it's "parent" case. Rather than bother with the .45-90, a smaller rimmed case, it would seem logical to take the gun to .50-110, or possibly .50AK. Either way, the gun will have to be rebarreled, as the chamber walls are too large for the smaller .45-90, and the .348 tube too thin to be opened to .50 caliber.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Or you could convert it to 450 Alaskan if you want to stay at 45 caliber.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Why not just keep it at .348? Which is an excellent cartridge for just about anything that walks this earth. If you want a .45-90 or .45-110, I would buy a Model 1886, that way you would not need to re-barrel. The Browning Model 71 is actually bringing a premium price today as was stated, they really did not make a lot of them.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Thanks for the replies.

Ravenman - thanks for the info and your deluxe model is a nice looking rifle.

Mike D - I like your thinking but already have a 50/110 conversion.

RF McNJ - I looked at a 450 Ak conversion but the neck is too short and there are too many chamber / die issues for my liking. I looked at developing a 45 wildcat on a 50/110 case but given my interest in using cast pills I think 45/90 will be the best all round option.

OTH - I just dont use the 348 enough to justify two of them. If the carbine shoots well I'll probably end up keeping that one in 348 as I think I'd end up using it more than the rifle.

I bought the carbine to convert it and I'm selling off a B-1886 that I had been keeping for a 45-90 conversion. Over here the 1886 will fetch more than the B-71 and I think converting the 71 to what I want will be a cheaper option anyway. I have a take-off bbl from a lightweight 1886 and apart from location of the barrel underpinnings (mag tubes are a different lengths on 71's and lwt 1886's), I think it will be a relatively low cost conversion.

While the body of the 45/90 is smaller, the rim dimensions are the same as 348 & 50-110. I tried some 45/90 dummy rounds and they seemed to feed and cycle just fine. Is there any reason why this conversion wont work ?

Also, where can I buy inletted QD swivel bases that are similar to the ones used on Supergrade M70's ?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

JFE, there is a 416 Alaskan that uses the 348 case and has a long neck for cast bullets all you would have to do is re bore the barrel its produces about 3400 fp energy then theres the 416/348 thats that makes about 4000 fp energy. You can find alot of wildcats based on the 348 in Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges by Wolfe Publishing Co. ISBN# 1-879356-00-7 . danny
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Browning sure knew how to make a nice 71.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

JFE,
Congrats on two excellent rifles. Any of the interesting conversions you contemplate should produce another big bore buster.

However, if you do create a Miroku based .45- 90 WCF and want to use it on Water buffalo or such, the Handloader site has published loads exceeding 4,000 ft pounds for at least three bullet weights.With Google and a bit of work,you vcan find many .45-90 loads on the internet. There are some folks onthis forum with many years of .45-90 handloading experience that sometimes contribute to us beginners.

I also have some heavy .45-90 loads for large and nasty stuff using 450 grain FMJ and solids. These are just the beginning of a project to develop heavy loads forheavy and dangerous game ; we are using my Miroku/Winchester 1886 with a 26" octagon barrel as the test rifle and having fun with the experiments. One fun test was running the.458 Nosler 300gr Protected Point up to 2600 (not max) fps and making a devastating varmint load of it. The best practical MV for the bullet turns out to be at or below 2200 fps so that the bullet will not self destruct on impact with a game animal. The results on game in the range from 1800 to 2200 fps are devastating. :shock:
Good hunting!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I sure love mine.

8)
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

BigSky56
I have quite a few 45 cal moulds and there isnt the range of moulds or FN jacketed bullet offerings suitable for 416 cal leverguns in Oz. You guys have many different options in the US but options here are quite limited. For Oz I think the 45/90 is a good option for a 86/71 levergun. Dies are inexpensive and good brass at reasonable cost are also available. Plus I already have a 45/70 take-off barrel that should screw right in (I hope).

CRS
One of the members here was kind enough to share some load data for his 45/90 conversion. Without pushing the boundaries he was getting something like 450gr at 2100 fps and, with the right bullet, this should be ample for any game. For our local buffalo I'd be inclined to use a heavy cast pill (like 500gr RCBS FN) or perhaps the new 458 Woodleigh hydrostatic solid designed for the 45/70. Either should work just fine.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The rim diameter isn't as much of a problem as the case diameter. The .45-90 has a base diameter of .5", but the .348 WCF is .545". Fired .45-90 cases would bulge, if not split in the larger chamber. A wildcat 45/.348 cartridge would be an excellent project.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Mike D. wrote:The rim diameter isn't as much of a problem as the case diameter. The .45-90 has a base diameter of .5", but the .348 WCF is .545". Fired .45-90 cases would bulge, if not split in the larger chamber. A wildcat 45/.348 cartridge would be an excellent project.
Mike - agree with what you say but there must be some confusion here.

The barrel I will be using is a 1886 take-off barrel currently chambered in 45/70. The barrel will simply be rechambered to 45/90 and screwed straight on.

I'm assuming here that Miroku used the same threading for the barrels in their 71 and 1886 repros. Couldnt find anyone to confirm that but I guess I'll find out soon enough anyway.

Pathfinder - those deluxe models are fine looking guns.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Aahh, now I onnerstan. I hope that the barrel is round and from a EL. If it is an octagon barrel you'll have to install a FM to make it look right. My Browning carbine is now a .45-90.
muskeg13
Levergunner

Post by muskeg13 »

I did the opposite. I replaced the 45-70 barrel from my M1886 ELW with a Browning .348 barrel. The barrel threads weren't exactly the same, but with a little file work, the new barrel fit. There were other problems however. The barrel "shoulder" as it contacted the receiver had to be set back a few thousands to allow the extractor groove to line up. The barrel face was then a bit too long and had to be filed down (I have no lathe) to allow the bolt to fully close. This work meant I had to rent a chamber reamer and recut the chamber. Since I was going from 45-70 to .348, I also had to open the cartridge carrier a wee bit to accomodate the larger rim of the .348, and also open the bolt face a bit and modify the extractor claw. You might not have to do these last steps if your slightly larger .348 diameter parts accomodate a .45-70 size cartridge rim as is. Bottom line: It's doable, but it probably won't just mean screwing on a new barrel. Good luck.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

JFE- I used to have a B71 and stupidly sold it, (along with a B92) as a result of temporary poverty following relationship breakup. I have regretted it ever since. If you come across another B71 I Australia please let me know as I would love to get another as it is the perfect Sambar gun.

My email address is solicitor@bigpond.com and I am in NSW just over the border from the ACT.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

perhaps winchester would still be producing firearms in conneticut, had they listened to their customers. 1886, 1892, 71's 1894 src's. pre 64 model 70's. bigbore 94's. the market's there, look at what the old ones are goinng for. :?
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

If I were to go to 45-90, I think I would look for a longer stock off a 1886, and fit that to the 71 receiver.
The shorter stock of the 71 was the only thing I did not like about the firearm. A bad fitting or too short of a stock is going to hurt with the 45-90.
I never understood why the 71 stock is so short. Some say it was that way to allow for a jacket or coat wearing shooter. I guess the 1886 was designed for shooters wearing a t-shirt.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Thanks for the additional comments.

muskeg13 - it seems quite doable with some minor mods and I was going to rechamber the barrel from 45/70 to 45/90 anyway.

Lawyer Daggit - B-71's are not very common in Oz but if I come across another I'll let you know. However I do have a nice Browning 1886 SRC for sale. PM for details if you're interested.

Pete44ru - thanks for the links. Something like that is what I was after.

Flatnose - I'm not totally sure but I dont think the buttstocks will interchange.