new marlin: just what is in the bore?...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

new marlin: just what is in the bore?...

Post by Ray Newman »

Received a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington as a gift last month.

For the last 7-10 days, I've been trying to clean the bore. Using Hoppe's & after 3-5 patches through the bore, the next patch comes out clean. However, if I stroke the bore w/ a brush, the resulting patches are black. Doesn't seem to be any end to this black oil/preservative/whatever coming out of the bore.

I let the Hoppe's soak in the bore over night & in-between cleanings. I've been cleaning the bore 3-4 times a day. Need I use something stronger than Hoppe's??
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

IMHO what you are probably seeing is the residue from the brush itself, being slowly dissolved by the Hoppes. If it does the same with just wetted patches soaked in Hoppes followed by dry patches then there is something there, say severe leading/copper fouling.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hi Ray,

This a used gun or a new gun? If it's used and your using Hoppes Solvent and a brush, your probably just cleaning a gun that badly needed it. It sometimes comes out in layers. What your doing is basically what I do...sometimes a soak overnight a couple of times. Bullet fouling that is brought out can reveal more powder residue underneath. Hobie and others have had good luck with the foaming cleaners but I've not tried them.

If it's a new gun, I can't really see gun grease coming out for that long a time. You could try some Birchwood Casey degreaser available from Wal-Mart and that might save you time if that is what you have.

B
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: this is a new rifle....
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

All "new" rifles are testfired at the factory, before shipping.

Your barrel may have a spot of copper jacket fouling, that wasn't cleaned out.

What type Hoppe's are you using ?

Regular Hoppe's Bore Cleaner won't touch copper fouling, Hoppe's Benchrest Copper Solvent must be used.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

What kind of bore brush are you using ?

I'd switch from bronze to stainless or nylon to see if it makes a difference. Try some foaming bore cleaner or some JB and see if it can get that 'last little bit' out of the bore.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Grabbed the wrong little bottle one time and was cleaning with Formula 44/40 cold blue rather than Barnes CR 10. Same effect and ........ dark bore!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

The LNIB, unfired 1886 .45-90 I picked up had alot of crud in the bore. Clean patches, a fresh tight fitting bore brush, and lots of Ballistol(sp) eventually removed the junk. Be persistent. 1886.