Slugging 45-70 - ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Slugging 45-70 - ?

Post by JohndeFresno »

I need some advice.

It is time to slug my Marlin Guide Gun (.45-70) to verify the best fit for cast boolits. While I'm doing so, I should slug my relatively new Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Magnum.

For .30 caliber, the common lead fishing sinkers are readily available at WalMart and other stores that approximate this caliber. But how about .44-.45 calibers? I know that one can use a black powder ball, but I don't have any use for lead pellets in lots of 100 or 500 - whatever amount they are sold in by black powder bullet casters.

Is there a fishing weight size to look for, so that I can purchase a dozen or less, for the large bore .40-plus calibers?

Thanks in advance.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Slugging 45-70 - ?

Post by shooter »

I just slugged my 45-70 and Ruger .44, and also my Ruger .357. I was in the same dilemma you're in, that I couldn't find any sinkers to fit. I found some at Wal-Mart, and they are lead egg sinkers. They come in a purple package, and are the "Water Gremlin" brand. The 1/2 size (1/2 oz., I think, but they say 1/2 size on the package) worked on both the 45-70 and the .44. I might get the next size up for the 45-70 if I had it to do over again. The ones I tried from Bass Pro were the same weight, but far too big in diameter, plus they cost twice as much.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, Shooter!

I'll make a trip to Wally World.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

John,

Double check the sinkers to make sure you get the lead ones. Walmart sells them made from zinc too. They are visually identical.

Also slugging the chamber throats on your SBH will get you a better result than the barrel. The throat dimension is more important.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, Joe.

And, yes - I have paid close attention to the posts about the chamber throats; I'm glad that you posted that for those who might not have picked up on that. When I first read it here at this site, it was an eye opener. It might have been one of your posts.

That is the reason that I'll need about a dozen - for the six throats and perhaps an error or two while going through this process.

FYI, I'll be following the procedures found here - it's a good layout of the procedure with simple tools:
http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I use round balls. You can usually buy small packages of 15 0r 25 in better gunshops. I keep several hundred around just for that purpose.

You can always make a make-shift mould from clay or some other material--I've done that

A smaller lead ball can be bumped up in a vise.

A bigger ball can be ground down on a grinder--watch the lead dust.

You only need the ball to be about 15 or 20 thou. over.

You can save your energy as 99.9% of Marlins go .459

Most Rugers have throats of .433 with groove diameters of .430

In slugging hundreds of guns I've found that post war guns are mostly right on spec, except cylinder throats--pre war guns from the 20's on are pretty close to spec and pre-1920 guns are well, you better slug them :D -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

76/444

Post by 76/444 »

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

slugging supplies.

Size 10 - $1.00
For use in .270, 7mm, and .30 Calibers [10 sinkers per bag]

Size 9 - $1.00
For use in .338, .348, 38/.357, and 35 Calibers [7 sinkers per bag]

Size 8 - $1.00
For use in .41, .44, .45, and .475 Calibers. [5 sinkers per bag]
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I have a collection of ML round balls. They work well for slugging.

TomF
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great advice and info. Thank you, all.