OT - Nascar......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

OT - Nascar......

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Everyone want to know how busy I've been the last few days? I meant to post this on Sunday night!

Anyone watch the race? Opinions on the Keselowski wreck?

Personally, I have no dog in this fight. My take? About time someone dumped the little SO*. It just so happened that the car ended up upside down and no one wanted to see him get hurt. But it also happens that the car flipping on a mile and a half track is a fluke. Even Nascar admits that. In some ways I see the lack of major punishment as an acknowledgement by nascar to some responsibility by them. They were already considering getting rid of the ugly as sin wing and I'm sure this will accelerate the process.

I think of it the same as guns.......An armed society is a polite society. If a driver knows it's gonna be open season on his rear bumper maybe he'll think twice before not letting a faster car in or shoving his nose where it don't belong.

Most of the most beloved drivers in Nascar history wouldn't of waited that long to git'r'done.

LK
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Nascar......

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I quit watching Nascar a few years ago. The races are pointless. They always seem to come down to a 2 lab "shootout". There is no strategy any more. A good driver and crew chief might plan all day for how to end the race, and then there's a wreck with 5 laps to go and the yellow flag comes out. The best strategy in the world goes right down the toilet. By the time they get everything cleaned up, we're down to that 2 lap nonsense. Might as well skip the other 498 laps and just have a 2 lap race. And what's with this "lucky dog" pass to get back on the lead lap. What a bunch of malarky..! Nascar Racing is dead. If I want racing I'll have to go to the local short track.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think Carl Edwards is a gentleman racer in a sport that finds those few and far between.

The little snot Keselowski launched Carl last year and from what I saw of the replays did not leave Carl any room and so ........ payback is a witch.

Kyle Bush is another little snot that needs to take a flying trip off the track.

JMHO you understand.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe,
Isnt it Carl Edwards?
To me it looked like maybe Edwards didnt back off,but looked like he just held his line???????
That little Keselowski guy, really dont care for him much!
Lucky no one did get hurt though!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

madman4570 wrote:Joe,
Isnt it Carl Edwards?
To me it looked like maybe Edwards didnt back off,but looked like he just held his line???????
That little Keselowski guy, really dont care for him much!
Lucky no one did get hurt though!
Yep, you're right. Brain fanny burp, I'll go fix it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yep, Carl is okay in my book. Now if I could just sic him on that 14 car and give him a little karma treatment. I wonder if Keselowski has AFLAC?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

ya,I think Carl is one great guy!
Now since the Intimadator #3 is gone.(never will be really gone though,just physically)
For me now, its Tony Stuart and also a soft spot for Dale Jr. because he is the son of Dale Sr.
Though this year would love to see Mark Martin win the Championship.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't follow the racing that much, but living here in his home town, it's all Carl Edwards!
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tuned into a race not long ago... tuned right back out. They don't even race "cars" anymore. Just custom, tubular frames with nothing resembling a chevy/ford/dodge factory engine wrapped in a plastic unibody with the "similar, yet wildly divergent" body lines of their marques' offering.

Does my disdain show? Not meant to insult anyone's enjoyment of the sport... Just as there's folks that enjoy benchrest shooting, others that love silhouette, small bore or precision air rifle, I love my CAS. If I was like the guy that helped me fix my 1969 Ford 3000 tractor and built the titanium axles and gear sets for a variety of race teams, and made my living off the sport... I'd be VERY, very interested in them also.

I don't, so I aren't. So... who? What?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I'm new to Nascar, went to my first race 2 weeks ago here in Vegas. Camped out for 3 days and had a great time! From a newby point of view it looked a bit to intentional and at that speed it seemed way out of line. Stuff like that will happen on it's own.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It ain't what it used to be. When Cale Yarborough, Junior Johnson, Buddy Baker, and the rest of the guys from that era quit It ceased being the same game. Those guys wouldn't allow this bump drafting stuff and they knew how to stop it. The restricter plates were the beginning of the end IMHO.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
dirtcowboy
Levergunner

Post by dirtcowboy »

REAL racecars race in the rain.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Historians will someday look back and point out that the decline of Nascar begin with and can be directly attributed to the movie "Days of Thunder" with y'all's favorite actor; Tom Cruise. :lol:
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Ya'all make some good points. Nascar isn't what it used to be for sure. But then again if you go back and watch replays of old races, Nascar WAS NEVER what we like to remember or think it was. Some things I'd like to see changed:

#1) Now that the big three are making "muscle cars" again (Camaro, Mustang and Charger) they need to toss the stupid templates away and make em run a factory body style on the cars. Remember the days when you could tell a Cutlass from a Monte Carlo from a T-Bird? If a manufacture doesn't want to make a rear wheel drive race type car they don't belong in Nascar. No more Taurus's!

#2) Shorten all but a few races to the same length as the Truck Series. In Cup, the first 50 laps is good, the last 50 is good, the middle is follow the leader. Shorten the middle. In the cars today, reliability issues aren't what they were even 20 years ago. It's no longer a goal to "out last" the rest of the other racers/teams mechanically.

LK