OT: Did you ever eat COYOTES ? ? ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Did you ever eat COYOTES ? ? ?

Post by Old No7 »

Who needs the Food Network when we have this fine website...

I saw this info posted on a Maine outdoor forum today, in an article about trapping and hunting coyotes to help out the dwindling deer herd.

This is how the author -- the now retired, but long-serving and highly respected wildlife biologist for moose & deer -- ended his article on coyotes...

"And don't neglect the culinary value of coyotes. After all, coyote meat is just venison one critter removed! Seriously, if skinned and boned soon after its demise, coyote meat is light, like veal, and as versatile as pork. It's great in smoked sausages. I operate a commercial smokehouse for wild game, and everyone thinks my coyote-meat pepperoni 'Yodel Sticks' are delicious. Admittedly, some change their mind when I tell them what they're eating..."

Ahem, um, yeah, ah, gee, hmmm, well, ya see, ayuh.................... :roll:

I guess we've gotta change our State motto from "Maine: The Way Life Should Be" to "Maine: The Way Life Should Be -- But Not Be Eaten"... :wink:

Hey, look -- here comes DINNER!!!
Coyote - Comin to dinner.jpg
Now I'm thinking of that old commercial from when I was a kid (am really dating myself with this one...)

"Hey, what's a matter with Mikey?"

...(Mikey looks a little glum...)

"Oh, Mom just got some new cereal..."

...(They watch to see what he'll do...)

...(Mikey starts to eat...)

"He likes it! Hey Mom, can I have some of those Coyote Chex too???"

:o :lol: :D

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: OT: Did you ever eat COYOTES ? ? ?

Post by Sixgun »

Ole #7,
Thats nasty. Eating yotes ranks up there with eatin' cats.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The guy is a l... is untruthful.

There's always somebody out there who can make ice-cream from a doot, but having taken up the challenge at least once I can say without reservation that, in my experience, coyote is just as nasty as any other scavenger or carrion eater.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

No, but I have shot at plenty!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Where is that Puke smilie when you need it??? :o :shock: :shock: :shock:
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

tried lynx at a game dinner ONCE . (never again) had the texture of bubble gum. Didn't enjoy it at all. I'm not desperate enough to try coyote just yet.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sixgun wrote:Ole #7,
Never tried eating coyote, but I wouldn't compare it to eating cat. Mountain Lion is some of the finest wild game you could hope for. Hard to tell it from a lean pork chop.
NRA Life Member
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

TedH wrote:
Never tried eating coyote, but I wouldn't compare it to eating cat. Mountain Lion is some of the finest wild game you could hope for. Hard to tell it from a lean pork chop.
amerinds thought cougar a delicacy. :? :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cougar is an extremely lean meat. I was about three sheets when I ate some of my brother's. I'd try it again as best I can remember. :D Coyote, nope, not that hungry.......yet.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

no, but a friend and I shot some in southern california and while at my friends (Darryl) house, his neighbor, (from southeast asia area) came by and watched and watched and watched, then went home and came back with his wife and they were talking in their native language and were rather animated. Eventually he approached and speaking to my friend said:

"Mr. Darryl, whatcha going to do with them dogs??" :shock:

He went home giggling with glee with two trash bags, one yote to a bag.

Who knew??? 8)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

That guy must have Alsheimer's....Seriously, eating one of those would be like eating dog. I guess the Chinese and Koreans could enjoy it.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

not to my taste, but,,,,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Coyotes, huh? ...well, a few years ago, 20/20 ran a story about how "domestic" animals are treated & eaten in Asian countries. They discovered that some people actually eat rats. When asked about what he likes to eat, one restaurant owner exclaimed "prefer rat; dog too greasey!" :!: :o :?

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've had dog in both Korea and in Mexico, and it wasn't bad. Those animals were raised to be eaten.

My coyote experience was "domestic" in that I was on this side of the border, but the game was wild. I'd not wish it on anyone that I liked.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Bioamplification or biomagnification. The further up the food chain you go the higher the concentrations of toxins. Some animals are so bad eating just one will kill you or damage you permenantly. Coyotes probably arent that bad on the toxin scale but I avoid eating predators as a rule of thumb (ones that eat fish are the worst, look up what happens if you eat an eagle).
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

oic0 wrote:Bioamplification or biomagnification. The further up the food chain you go the higher the concentrations of toxins. Some animals are so bad eating just one will kill you or damage you permenantly. Coyotes probably arent that bad on the toxin scale but I avoid eating predators as a rule of thumb (ones that eat fish are the worst, look up what happens if you eat an eagle).

following that logic, things like shark, octopus, squid, gator, etc.
should be terrible. seems alot get eaten by folks, some say they're pretty good. :?:

"BECAUSE I CAN"
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

following that logic, things like shark, octopus, squid, gator, etc.
should be terrible. seems alot get eaten by folks, some say they're pretty good. :?:
Maybe it's because the critters mentioned are not birds or mammals. Seems like a fish diet makes warm blooded animals taste uh, funny. We are accustomed to the taste of certain cold blooded animals that eat fish. Bass, trout, tuna, salmon, etc. They all taste good. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

TedH wrote:
I've read that in several articles written years ago, never had the opportunity to try it and I'm not looking for one.

To answer the orginal question, NO...but I've been hungry enough to try if one had been available. :wink:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

because there are no foxes, I dare say you colonists have et them all.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Eaten cougar loin, can't say I was impressed. Maybe it was the preparation, I grilled it but it didn't live up to the hype IMO.

I'm not likely to try coyote.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

I pretty much stay with putting only herbivores on my plate. I have buds who proclaim their great recipes for cat and bear,... but I like to fall back on the old saying, "you are what you eat",.... and I have seen what coyote and bear eat. NOT my thing!

Now,... I haven't been REALLY hungry of late, either! So, who knows what could be in the cards for the future!

:lol: 8) :lol:
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I always say the difference between what I'll eat and what I won't eat is 24hrs...but I've never been truly starving. Last coyote I shot I thought about boiling and grinding up the meat to feed to my dogs but ended up passing on the idea. Every time I shoot a ground hog I briefly consider cooking it up but always find an excuse not to. :wink:
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

Killer Whales have been observed attacking Great White Sharks and killing them only to eat the liver and then leave the scene. Obviously something they like but if you ate that liver you would die because of the food chain progression concentrating vitamin A in the liver.
Coyotes eat poop and dead animals ,think about it....
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

On a side note, how do you guys shoot the lil turds? my friends land is covered in them but they only come out at night and they keep their distance. I will occasionally see one during the day riding my dirt bike and they don't consider me a threat at all. If I have a gun though or am on foot, they are long gone.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

About like eating a boiled possum. Want some ?--------- "NOT"
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Old No7 wrote:
"Hey, what's a matter with Mikey?"

...(Mikey looks a little glum...)

"Oh, Mom just got some new cereal..."

...(They watch to see what he'll do...)

...(Mikey starts to eat...)

"He likes it! Hey Mom, can I have some of those Coyote Chex too???"

:o :lol: :D

Old No7
If I remember correctly, Mikey will eat about anything.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

silverbuzzard wrote:Killer Whales have been observed attacking Great White Sharks and killing them only to eat the liver and then leave the scene. Obviously something they like but if you ate that liver you would die because of the food chain progression concentrating vitamin A in the liver.
Ya they sure like to eat poop I don't no why?oh I could tell story's, but Lot's of Soya sauce I am sure it will taste just like chicken?( the yote not the poop) I met a guy dragging Porcupine out of the woods once! I have tried Bear and did not like it. But I love deer or any kind of ungulate liver.
P.S about the Story's my best hunting bud say's a Human turd is like a candy bar for them :?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hagler wrote: They discovered that some people actually eat rats. When asked about what he likes to eat, one restaurant owner exclaimed prefer rat; " :!: :o :? Shawn
In 1968 my big brother killed a rat in the hooch in Viet nam. He had it on a shovel and was about to throw it over the fence when this Vietnamese lady came running over screaming, "no, no, we eat it"
:o
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"If I remember correctly, Mikey will eat about anything."
That's it!!!!!!! My CRS must'a been kickin' in......

Glad to see his post was received "in good taste"!!! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

As I recall, the line was: "Mikey won't eat it, he hates everything."

"He likes it... Hey Mikey!"

:mrgreen:

shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I know of a guy who ate a bobcat, he said it was pretty good. (He lives over around Hobie's way....) That wikipedia link goes to tell about a guy dying from eating the liver of a sled dog.

Coyote? Eat it? HE77 NO!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

My uncle cooked a bobcat and swore it was good. I wasn't around at the time,but would have tried it. Dogs are eaten many places in Asia. It wouldn't bother me try coyote.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

JB wrote:Dogs are eaten many places in Asia. It wouldn't bother me try coyote.
Thats why those places in Asia should probably be Nuked. No, maybe that is a bit harsh ,how bout those eating the Doggies just gathered up and fed to the Sharks!)
Eating a Dog :o ------------Mans very best friend??
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

silverbuzzard wrote:Killer Whales have been observed attacking Great White Sharks and killing them only to eat the liver and then leave the scene. Obviously something they like but if you ate that liver you would die because of the food chain progression concentrating vitamin A in the liver.
Now you tell us. During WWll, before vitamin A could be synthesized, sharks were killed by the tens of thousands expressly for their livers. Too bad all that generation was wiped out by bad shark liver oil, who knows what they could have accomplished?

Grizz
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

pokey wrote:
They also considered white dogs to be the very best dish to serve to important company.

Let's face it, Indians were the original Cajuns. They'd eat anything that walks, crawls, swims, slithers or flies. Their endorsement of cougar meat carries much lesss weight than Ted's comment IMO.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hagler wrote:Coyotes, huh? ...well, a few years ago, 20/20 ran a story about how "domestic" animals are treated & eaten in Asian countries. They discovered that some people actually eat rats. When asked about what he likes to eat, one restaurant owner exclaimed "prefer rat; dog too greasey!" :!: :o :?

Shawn

In the bad old days of the sailing navies, it was an article of faith among British Midshipmen that, "A rat that has had run of the bread locker for two years is much tastier than salt beef 20 years in the cask."

personally I'd have to be on the border of starvation before I could eat rat, cat, coyote or dog knowingly.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Doc Hudson wrote:
pokey wrote:
They also considered white dogs to be the very best dish to serve to important company.

Let's face it, Indians were the original Cajuns. They'd eat anything that walks, crawls, swims, slithers or flies. Their endorsement of cougar meat carries much lesss weight than Ted's comment IMO.

I'd think twice on the endorsement of a race of people who routinely picked undigested seeds out of their feces to be washed and re-eaten.

... and what is a rabbit but a large rat?

:|

Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Sixgun wrote:
Hagler wrote: They discovered that some people actually eat rats. When asked about what he likes to eat, one restaurant owner exclaimed prefer rat; " :!: :o :? Shawn
In 1968 my big brother killed a rat in the hooch in Viet nam. He had it on a shovel and was about to throw it over the fence when this Vietnamese lady came running over screaming, "no, no, we eat it"
:o

Yep, been there, seen it. I was on patrol through a village one time and was charged by a big dog, which I shot (sprayed with a M16). Dog dead, villagers building the dinner fire to cook it......

Dan
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Some posts just don't die.......................................
Coyote Helper.jpg
But YOU may -- if you eat THIS!!!!!!

:shock: :D :lol:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.