OT-Sterling College (KS) reputation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Sterling College (KS) reputation

Post by vancelw »

My youngest girl graduates HS this year and is thinking about attending Sterling College in Kansas.

Any forum members (residents or alumni) heard good stuff about this place? It's Presbyterian (I think) so it shouldn't be a party school ( :roll: you never know, that's why I'm asking.) This kid will be begging to come home if she gets up there and its a wild environment.

We're taking her up this weekend for a campus visit on short notice. The school year is getting away from us.

I bet if she ends up attending there, I find a time to visit her during NJCAA basketball tournaments. :D Our local JC makes the national playoffs in Hutchinson every now and then.

Oh, and does anyone have a clue as to where the treasure is buried? (for the tuition)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Sterling College (KS) reputation

Post by Pisgah »

Don't know a thing about Sterling, but I went to a Presbyterian college back in the early '70s and let me assure you -- "Presbyterian" in no way translates in to "not a party school"! :o :D
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Pisgah wrote:Don't know a thing about Sterling, but I went to a Presbyterian college back in the early '70s and let me assure you -- "Presbyterian" in no way translates in to "not a party school"! :o :D
Oh I know that. Look at Baylor in Waco as a big example. The partying wouldn't bother me as much as it would her.

It's funny, her older sister went to a Baptist university of her own choice. She was surprised that many kids were sent there by their parents to be "straightened out." They were surprised she chose the parochial school on her own.

I guess I've failed as a self-proclaimed agnostic :D I can think of worse ways to fail.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Our son is a Sr. in HS this year, #3 in his class of 155 (1-B+ in 4 years puts him 3rd- and a 33 on his ACT (28 is considered high)), and we haven't heard of Sterling, nor has he had any contact from them....even being inundated by mail and calls from every college in the US. I just asked him if he had ever heard of it, and he said no. I find it odd that we live in Wichita and haven't heard of it. No implications there...just odd.

Ed
PEteacher
Levergunner

Post by PEteacher »

My oldest daughter went to Sterling her freshman year, and would still be going there if my wife had not begun working at the private university here in our hometown two years ago(which allows her to attend tuition free.) I asked my daughter what were the best things about Sterling, and she immediately replied, "Too many great things to choose from!" Finally she decided that the best thing was the REAL Christian atmosphere. I would agree. Every time we visited, it just "felt" different - in a good way - than any other campus I had been on. In the center of the campus is a lifesize bronze statue of Christ kneeling to wash Peter's feet. I now have a miniature of that statue that my wife and I trade back and forth to put on our desks at work as a reminder to maintain a servant heart. I have been on many college campuses, and Sterling College is the most Christ centered I have visited.

Jeff McAdoo
"Don't ask what the world needs you to do. Instead, find what makes you come alive and do that, because what the world needs is people who are alive."
from "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

It's pretty small. The one my oldest daughter goes to is here in (East Texas Baptist in Marshall) Texas and I had never heard of it until my nephew came all the way from Montana to attend it. Come to find out it has a pretty good reputation for its Nursing, Business and teacher programs. I was kind of hoping I might find out something similar about Sterling.

Most of the kids around here all set their sights on the big ones, University of Texas, A&M, Tech. These little schools are glamorous enough for them and sometimes there are jewels hidden in the countryside.

I guess she filled out her SAT questionaire and indicated she was interested in a parochial school. She gets more mail nowadays than I do, and very little is from secular schools.

Believe me, I'll be asking lots of questions while we are there this weekend. One of my biggest worries is about how small the town is. That means the kids have to travel to go find entertainment. Crime rate looks low, though.

Thanks for the replies.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

PEteacher wrote:My oldest daughter went to Sterling her freshman year, and would still be going there if my wife had not begun working at the private university here in our hometown two years ago(which allows her to attend tuition free.) I asked my daughter what were the best things about Sterling, and she immediately replied, "Too many great things to choose from!" Finally she decided that the best thing was the REAL Christian atmosphere. I would agree. Every time we visited, it just "felt" different - in a good way - than any other campus I had been on. In the center of the campus is a lifesize bronze statue of Christ kneeling to wash Peter's feet. I now have a miniature of that statue that my wife and I trade back and forth to put on our desks at work as a reminder to maintain a servant heart. I have been on many college campuses, and Sterling College is the most Christ centered I have visited.

Jeff McAdoo
Good to hear. I've looked a little on their website, city-data.com, and google trying to find out what I can. From everything I've seen, it looks similar to ETBU that my oldest attends. Of course, little sis can't go to college where big sister went :o She may want the 8 hour drive to keep mom and dad at bay. :D
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

My son is a graduate of what started as a Preberterian college...Alma College in Alma MI.

The usually rate in the top 20 small Liberal arts schools. Alma is secular these days... but not a party school.

My son enjoyed the small campus. I don't know much about Sterling but it looks like a pretty good small school from what I hear of it. There is more to quality education than a big name... check it out, visit and look around.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Kansas has several smaller colleges with excellent scholastic ability. If she indeed goes there, remember that it is far enough away from the bigger party schools that she will have to put some real effort into making the scene. Some things aren't worth the effort. Besides, there are a lot of things to do and see there in the breadbasket. If she is lucky, she might even see a cornfield. Growing up in SouthWest Kansas, I was a teenager before I saw corn. Wheat and Milo on the other hand were too plentiful.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

Due to a native prejudice, I have to say any Kansas school would be a sound choice.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I have heard some good things about that school.

Only my opinion from what I have learned through life experience.

Choose a College that is rated well in the field/path which your Daughter chooses.(If undecided,choose a school that is rated well in the broad field she will probably head towards)

Another very important thing-------Choose a school (a good ranked one as stated above)that is as close to her home as possible.

I have seen too many kids in High School thinking because its far away(its cool)or choose a school that has a big Name but for the kids general field of study there are maybe better closer schools in that field.

Many times if the school is too far away the kids get home sick/work suffers/they change schools later loose a lot of their already earned credits because of the new schools requiremnets are different etc.Also if the school is too big sometimes they are over whelmed and cant mentally cant cut it.Many drop out.

Really, They pretty much all party and I would not let that make the decieding factor. Good Luck knowing for sure anyway if they party much there.

We were lucky because our Daughters field of study the high rated University was very close.
Most all her friends are constantly crying to her/us/parents,they wished they choose a University Closer, but really never thought about that part of it?????

Two hours away(one way)is plenty far enough. 1 hour or even less is better.(and I mean living on campus too) ya,She could commute but then she would be missing the College experience!(Its worth the cost)
Also make sure they REALLY consider future job potential.
there is one friend,that was Validictorian some years back,went to become a Nuclear Physicsist.NO JOBS :?:
Working at a car stereo installation place at present.Would have been much better to have chosen a Math Education career/Accountant/or whatever??????????
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

We went to visit this past weekend. I was fairly impressed with the college, the campus, and the professors we met. Even the student body, as a whole, seemed more mature, happy, and friendly than many campuses I've visited.

The enrollment is small (about 700) and the student to teacher ratio is about 14. I met the business professor who taught at Texas A&M for 10 years, as well as other professors that had come from very well respected schools to teach in a less hectic environment. They even said the new assistant director might come from LeTorneau University in Longview, Texas, which is another parochial school with a good reputation.

My only drawback is the distance from home. But you know, some kids need to be on their own and see what real life is all about. Mama and Daddy may not always be able to run to the rescue. I think I'd rather see my kid go away to school (in a very good environment, no less) than join the military as an attempt to get out on their own, not really understanding what all it entails. (Don't read that wrong...The military is great, but its not for everyone.)

The Christian aspect of the school is not my criterion, it's my daughter's. She is looking for a small Christian school. I am interested in their reputation as educators, but it's not a deal breaker if they are slightly unknown. My daughter is one who is too sharp for her own good, so she got bored with high school and I'm just pleased to have her interested in a four-year college. I'm not so much worrying about her being tempted to party, as I am any partying turning her off of the school and her wanting to bail out. I have a friend who's daughter (who had a full ride) left Stephen F Austin because the partying atmosphere was too distracting (and drunk kids pulling the fire alarm at night is no joke)

All that being said, Sterling College reminded me very, very much of East Texas Baptist University in Marshall, Texas, only smaller. But she can't go there because that is where her sister went :roll: You know kids. I do not blame her for not wanting to be known on campus as "so-and-so's" little sister.

I may tell her that a condition of her attendance is that she find me a place to pheasant and whitetail hunt. :D I do have a new (to me) 16 gauge sidelock that has yet to be christened.

Thanks to all who have answered. I'm still interested in feedback, as it's not in the bag yet.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sounds like you guys are on the right track and I wish you all the very best.
I am sure she will do very well, See ya!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Whitetail hunting around there might be a little scarce, but the Pheasant hunting from there West is just unbelievable. Use number 6 or 7 1/2 shot and you will be fine. Don't go much bigger as those pheasant there usually get up so close that number 5 shot or bigger will tear up too much meat. I have stepped on Pheasant before.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a friend who was the head of our church group when I was growing, umm I mean when I was younger. He now lives in Olathe,Ks. He says his son in law's brother went there and he will find out more information shortly.

As a point of reference, Dr. C.I.Schofield, the author of the Scofield reference Bible was Presbyterian. So was Robert E. Lee and I happen to know Robert E. Lee was a fine Christian gentleman.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.