OT: FINALLY ! Comuppance !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

OT: FINALLY ! Comuppance !

Post by Pete44ru »

Attorney Jay Grodner showed up late.
The Judge had him arrested with $20,000 bail. The judge (a former Marine) read Grodner the riot act, and finished up with a history of the Marine Corps and why Marines always have each others back.

Grodner pled guilty and will pay $600 to the Semper Fi Injured Marine Fund.

Thanks to all who made justice happen for Sergeant McNulty.

Lou Dobbs on CNN will cover this story tonight.

FIRE IN THE HOLE!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARTICLE..........

Man who keyed car gets day in court; so do Marines - by John Kass - January 20, 2008 -

Jay Grodner, the Chicago lawyer who keyed a Marine's car in anger because the car had military plates and a Marine insignia, finally got his day in court last week.

Grodner pleaded guilty in a Chicago courtroom packed with former Marines. Some had Marine pins on their coats, or baseball jackets with the Marine insignia. They didn't yell or call him names. They came to support Marine Sgt. Michael McNulty, whose car Grodner defaced in December, but who couldn't attend because he's preparing for his second tour in Iraq.

Grodner was late to court for the second time in the case. Grodner called Assistant State's Attorney Patrick Kelly, (Marine Corps/Vietnam 1969-1972), informing Kelly that he would be late to court.

"He wanted to avoid the media," Kelly said Friday. "So he's coming a half hour late."

"I don't run my courtroom that way!" responded Judge William O'Malley, ordering Grodner be arrested and held on $20,000 bail when he arrived. Finally, Grodner strolled in. A short man, wide, wearing a black fedora, dark glasses, a divorce lawyer dressed like some tough guy in the movies.

Grodner told me he'd describe himself as a "radical liberal" who's ready to leave Chicago now with all this negative publicity and move to the south of France and do some traveling.

Judge O'Malley has also traveled, but in his youth. He was a police officer on the West Side during the riots before law school. And before that, he performed another public service. Judge O'Malley served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1961-1964.

During the proceedings, the judge described the offense as anger rose in his voice, especially as Grodner started balking on a plea arrangement he'd made with prosecutors.

"Is this what you did? Yes or no," Judge O'Malley asked Grodner.

"Without knowing, yes," Grodner said, sticking to his I-might-have-done-it-but-didn't-really-mean-it defense.

O'Malley asked again, in a stronger voice, not that of a judge but of a cop on the street or a Marine who meant business.

"DID YOU KNOWINGLY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THIS CAR?" O'Malley asked.

Grodner bowed his head, meekly, and responded in an equally meek voice: "Yes," he said.

After the admission, came the details and Grodner was lucky, getting off with a misdemeanor and no jail time, and not a felony even though he caused $2,400 in damage to Sgt. McNulty's car.

So Grodner received a $600 fine, which will go to a Marine charity, 30 hours of community service and a year of court supervision. If he doesn't pay up in a month, the judge promised to put him in jail for a year.

Judge O'Malley had something to say. He looked out into his courtroom, at all those men who'd come to support a Marine they didn't know.

"You caused damage to this young Marine sergeant's car because you were offended by his Marine Corps license plates," said Judge O'Malley.

Grodner stood there, hands behind his back. He grasped the fingers of his left hand with his right, and held it there, so they wouldn't wiggle.

"You're probably also wondering why there was a whole crowd of people here, Mr. Grodner," said Judge O'Malley.

"I don't want to wonder," said Grodner, continuing in his new meek voice, not in his tough divorce lawyer voice, but the gentle, inside voice he'd just learned.

"That's because there is a little principle that the Marine Corps has had since 1775," the judge continued. "When they fought and lost their lives so that people like you could enjoy the freedom of this country. It is a little proverb that we follow: "No Marine is left behind.

"So Sgt. McNulty couldn't be here. But other Marines showed up in his stead. Take him away," said the judge and former Marine.

They took Grodner away, he was processed, and everyone left. The lobby was dark, quiet, except for two court deputies running the metal detector. Then Grodner came through an inside door, put his fedora back on, the dark glasses, a tough guy again.

We stood outside, in the parking lot, talking for 20 minutes. He smoked, and I didn't. He explained that he wasn't anti-military and why he pleaded guilty.

"The judge, he's the guy with the black robes," Grodner said. He could have been slapped with a felony, but Sgt. McNulty's family said they wanted to put this behind them and let it go as a misdemeanor.

Grodner showed no remorse, and I asked if he'd apologize.

"Yes, I'd say, 'I'm sorry if I scratched your car.' It escalated. That's when he wanted me locked up and thrown away," said Grodner, always the victim.

Grodner tells me he plans to leave for the French Riviera and get some sun.

Sgt. McNulty will get some sun, too. In Iraq.

jskass@tribune.com

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I didn't see anywhere if the jerk is going to pay for the damages to the Marines car, or just the $600 fine.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hope he pays for the damages also. Prayers up for Sgt. McNulty.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Wouldn't be nice if attorney Grodner had to spend a day walking in the shoes of Sgt. McNulty.....say on patrol in Iraq?

Have you ever closely looked at the casulaty lists? Sgts make up over half of the number of killed and wounded. Do you know why attorney Grodner? No you don't. Because Sgts have the courage to say 'follow me' and lead men into a fight rather than to impotently & cowardly lash out at someones property when they are out of sight.

Mr Grodner that is a sort of courage that a pissant like you will never know or understand.

Wm
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

There is always hope the Mr. Grodner may fall from a cliff or in front of a car in France. but then snakes are often seen dead on the road.Jim.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The young man's family bumped it down to a misdemeanor charge because they wanted to "put it behind them".

I still think a federal case could me made as either an assault on a federal employee or as a hate crime.

It's too bad that Marine's family doesn't have as much stomach for a fight as he does.

I don't know. Maybe it was his call.

No satisfaction in this.

:x
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I would think that ambulance chaser left that couthouse with rather soiled undies, after seeing all those Marines flooding the courtoom.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yea, I don't see where he's fixing the car. Maybe the judge left it open like that. If the Sgt. sues in small claims court and the attorney screws around with that they might just violate his probation. Wouldn't that be a shame?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have dealt with people like him before. :evil: You notice that as soon as he left the court any sign of guilt or remorse vanished. I hate to say but the Judge and all those Marines wasted their time with this guy. He will never learn and is a giant waist of space, air, and decent food stuffs. :twisted: If he is going to France I feel sorry for all the French people that will have to deal with him.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Some good sneakers and peekers need to recon that pissant's car :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

You know, There are all kinds of hate crimes. Racial, religious, gay and every other cotton picking thing this Liberal, pinko commy fag supports. But to think the jerk is getting off with a $600 fine is a testiment to where our country is. No i dont think every soldier is always right but they should definately think about adding at least one more Hate Crime. :x
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

BlaineG you are a better Christian then I. My thoughts tended to a more permanent fix involving a .308 from a distance from 500-800 yards. :twisted:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

JReed wrote:BlaineG you are a better Christian then I. My thoughts tended to a more permanent fix involving a .308 from a distance from 500-800 yards. :twisted:
The way Marines think.

Always have a plan to kill 'em...

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Darn right.

LtGen. Mattis said
Be nice to everyone you meet but always have a plan on how to kill them.

Great man right there.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

He might have gotten a scolding from the judge, but a $600.00 fine???? That iis not even close to reality!!!! The fine should have been $5000.00 at the min. Also, I think he should serve at least 6 months in jail. I know some of the hardcore prisoners would help him find himself real quick!! God bless the Marines, and all our fighting men and woman!!!!!!!Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

I just finished an "association" with a similar worm-of-a-lawyer.

Guess what? The Good-Old-Boy system is alive and working to protect them. Those citizens in the right, blatantly and honorable in the right, lose again!

Shame, again, on the Justice(?) System!

The snot-nosed weasels win another one at the expense of a good person's peace.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:BlaineG you are a better Christian then I. My thoughts tended to a more permanent fix involving a .308 from a distance from 500-800 yards. :twisted:
+1 :evil:
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

505stevec wrote:You know, There are all kinds of hate crimes.
All crimes against person or property are hate crimes. If something is wrong, it's wrong; the motivation is irrelevant. This current crop of hate crime laws is political correctness run amok.
Heck, any wussy that would key a car doesn't deserve that honor. A K-Bar nose-to-nose would be a better fix. Don't you want to see him wet himself first?
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Posted by wm:
"Wouldn't be nice if attorney Grodner had to spend a day walking in the shoes of Sgt. McNulty.....say on patrol in Iraq?

Have you ever closely looked at the casulaty lists? Sgts make up over half of the number of killed and wounded. Do you know why attorney Grodner? No you don't. Because Sgts have the courage to say 'follow me' and lead men into a fight rather than to impotently & cowardly lash out at someones property when they are out of sight.

Mr Grodner that is a sort of courage that a pissant like you will never know or understand."

Such a wonderful assortment of posts here.

Wm; it appears to me that Grodner would be shot dead in his tracks before he could lead anyone in any direction other than cowardly retreat. I would seriously doubt that Sgt. McNulty would ever want the likes of him in Iraq. He would never be an asset, but would always be a liability. That Grodner person is an embarrassment to humankind and to this nation. I understand and agree with your emotions on wanting him in Iraq in Sgt. MeNulty's shoes. But in reality (and my "additional thought" position), I sure would not give him the respect that would allow him in a position that might be interpreted as representative of this nation or of its people.

In line with another post with this thread, it is my prayer that we all spend time in prayer for all of our military personnel. The church where I preach will be doing so just a little later today.
Grace and Peace,
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

The good news is the French will get him.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...Gentlemen:
...Don't be so hard on the judge in this case. The judge has guide lines which he must follow. He may have done all he was allowed to do.

...old goat
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

sobenk wrote:The good news is the French will get him.

With any luck he will stay there. :evil:
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

This lump known as Grodner is nothing more than a waste of skin.

He is a p***y.