I must be goin' stir crazy.............

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

I must be goin' stir crazy.............

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

I've been thinking of paring my gun collection down to bare minimums. 1 levergun, 1 shotgun, a 22 rifle and 1 centerfire pistol/revolver. It worked for my Dad, Grandaddy, and his before him.

Kind of getting back to simpler times type of thinking.............

Has anyone thought or done this recently? What say you?

Thanks, Tom :D
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I must be goin' stir crazy.............

Post by TedH »

NO! I have not thought of such! It's taken me 30 years to get my collection to where it is today. Though at this time am quite happy with what I have, and have no plans to buy any thing else. That, and my safe is full. :twisted:
NRA Life Member
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

I have been doing this for almost a decade now. Not an easy task, guy. Good luck!

8)
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

What you're saying does make a lot of sense. I often feel I should do something like this but I also look at my "collection" as a type of currency or savings plan that is probably as secure or more secure than any other plan. Also, guns are a lot cheaper to collect than cars and motorcycles. So, to each his own.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

All I got was Ted needs a new safe.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

bsaride wrote:All I got was Ted needs a new safe.

:lol:
NRA Life Member
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I'm getting to be like you Tom, going with the KISS system of life. While I'm not wanting to sell off a bunch of guns, numbers (i.e. quantities) don't mean much to me anymore. The biggest reason I see to have multiples of different guns is for different uses. I'll always have two 12ga. shotguns, one with a slug barrel one for all other shotgun needs. I'd really only need or want one hunting centerfire and one plinking centerfire. I'll still keep two 10/22's around, one with a 4x for squirrel and rabbits and one with a reddot for coonhunting but I won't buy another .22LR long gun. I can't imagine having less than one SA and one DA pistol and I need a .22lr pistol for cheap and easy plinkin. So right there my minimum is 9 guns. Are far cry from your list.

LK
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Don't do it! You will regret it.That's the last thing I will ever do.
I would pick empty beer/pop cans/bottles on the street first.
Also your Gun values hold their own in today's market very well and in very tough times will even more.

There is a game called Oregon Trail---------------How do you win it???????????
Most people buy all this extra stuff spending all their money and usually lose.
Me, I buy guns and buy ALOT of AMMO------then hunt for food/barter/ and everything else in trade on anything I need.
Win almost every time. :lol: (yes,I know life is no game but I am just saying in the very toughest of times---
Food/Gold/wood to keep from freezing/and Guns and Ammo is what will suffice)

Guns/Land/and the Women stay ---------------non-negotiable. :D
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I like guns too much to whittle down my choices like that. If you're planning on getting rid of a bunch of yours, you can just send them over my way :wink: As far as being practical, I see your point. I only have one bolt action rifle right now, a .243, and it may stay that way. I've been thinking about getting a compact .308, and turning the .243 into just a varmint gun instead of a multi-purpose. The other guns I have because I like them, I like to shoot them, and I like the variety. I suppose one could get by on much less, but what kind of fun would that be?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

I look at a very large collection as a liability. When there is no available currency or supplies enough to trade for,... they just become scumbag attractants that are to cumbersome to carry all at one time, if one needs to bug out. Who wants to trade off weapons and ammo as currency to a gang of six or a dozen, because they have some food they ripped off some poor family that couldn't defend themselves,... and then have those weapons used to take the rest of your so-called TRADE STOCK?

Recently I have been checking out the "For Sale" section at AZShooters. Been awhile since I go there because of the moderators. Arrogant guys that would steal fellow member's pieces in the past years because they were down and out,... are crying like pigs stuck under gates because there is NO READY CASH available to buy what they want to dump, NOW!!! How do you think it will be when the bad times?

There is a point where large amounts of weapons become a albatross around one's neck,... rather than an asset,... in my opinion. If I need more than a semi-auto, a bolt, two levers and a half dozen pistol/revolvers,....I might as well bend over and kiss it good buy!!

You can only shoot one at a time , guy! And what you can't carry, becomes THEIRS for the taking!!! Being shot by one of my own ain't the way I want to go,... unless I do it !!
Last edited by 76/444 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have thought of that, but then I sit down and have a cool amber drink and feel much better. When I think some I don't think I it is such a great idea. My collection is not big but each one has a purpose or sentimental value. At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it. If I bring home another I usually tell the better half I 'm going to fix it up and resell it, I just don't say when.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Well, I just did an inventory of what I actually need as opposed to what I have.

I'm 3 guns short. :D
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

During a sustained fit of stupidity, I did a massive gun cull once. Actually, I was really strapped for cash and needed a vehical real bad and the guns were my only real hope of making money quick. I filled two large tables at a gun show and let them go just a smidge below market. I only retained a dozen I really needed.

Man! was that ever stupid. It's taken me years to attain another decent cache of guns, all of which are needed. And there were guns sold at that time that will never come my way again - like that beautiful Marlin M39 with its shinny blue steel and curled walnut. And what about that old original 8X60 Oberdorf Mauser with the full stock and Greener safety. And, ... :oops:

If you want a simpler life - sorry, you're in living in the wrong century - this is no longer your Grandaddy's time or country. If you want to follow the KISS rule - kiss your wife. Need is defined by the moment, and what waits around the corner can only be assumed, along with its need.

That's my two cents worth. Hey Mister, do you wanna buy an old Winchester? :wink: :D
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

....I guess I should have said this exercise is for practicality. :wink: :D I don't need money. I was just looking to get back to a simpler way of life. I have more "tactical" than "collectible" anyway.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

People in the past lived a simpler life because they had no choice. One might not be able to sell but one can ALWAYS trade. In a period of hyper-inflation trade will best anyway.

That said, I can't see selling any but a couple of guns. Most were carefully thought out acquisitions with which I'm completely satisfied or are family pieces.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

as you know, I move in an out of paring down my collection. My min would be: 12 bore paradox (serves as 12 gauge and "slug" gun), .357 lever, .22lever, .357 pistol, .54 cal flintlock. If I didn't keep the paradox, then I would have to add my 12 bore hammer gun, and the .457 WWG Co-pilot. Thats all I really need to fit my hunting and shooting styles. Not sure what to do with the others but I could be very happy with the above. We live in times of excess and really, I personally can say that I have wasted far too much money in the pursuit of firearms, self defense and dooms day scenarios. I could have been retired by now if I hadnt wasted so much. I'm working my way now to shed my life of excess and I suspect that my list will be paired down even more when I get to that end.

good luck with your choice.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm working towards a more simple life myself. Just gettin tired of all the stuff. There used to a bumper sticker:"He who dies with the most toys, wins!" Well like my grandmother used to say, "There's more to owning something than just having it."

I like my Handi rifles they are the perfect example of simple. The .44 shoots really good and since my wife got it for me I won't be getting rid of that one. I do however have a Marlin CowboyII in .44. that one could go without too much mental anguish. Now see how easy that was. One down and umm a few more to go.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well my great grand father was a one gun man but it was a .58 Caliber Springfield. I am on a different plan.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Wow! just talked about this today at work.
A retired guy has a year round campground lease for $1,600 a yr. + electric.
1999 39’ camper with two slide outs. Paid around 8K for it.
He is allowed hunting on part of the campground property, the campground adjoins
186,000 acres of state forest ground.
The math isn’t real hard to do; I pay almost 4K a year in property and school taxes.
I think I could whittle down to a favorite gun or two and the basics and live real comfortably very inexpensively like that. I’m sure like everything else there would be
a draw back or two, but off hand I cant think of one.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I just don't know, Hey it's everyones choice that is for sure and is to be respected.
The Dooms Day thing isn't even in my equation.If it comes it will come.Really I don't sweat that.
I only buy the gun's I really want bad and those others that are sentimental and such.

I honestly feel I have never wasted a dime on one gun I have,"seriously" I don't swap my gun's and all I have bought are worth "a lot more than I paid" even in todays market.
I have run the number's of amount paid verses that money invested and the gun values far exceeds it.

But for me it's not about the money thing.My wife and myself have diligently worked very hard together as Professionals for over 60 years in the corporate world and we are pretty thrifty already on how we spend our money. Having a safe full of guns instead of say we could have been excessively boozing/smoking/gambling/etc. now that is no return on investment at least to us.

Each one has to do what they feel is the right thing but I feel right now I lead a fairly simple/pleasant life already.
My guns bring a lot of joy to me/wife/daighter and each one has somthing special in their meaning.

If the time ever come's that I will be at my place only burning wood/eating deer/no electric/using candles and riding a mountain bike---------------I will still have my guns! :wink:
Getting rid of my guns would be like getting rid of my dogs! NOPE!
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Wow, for a minute there, I thought you were actually serious! :shock: :mrgreen:
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

casastahle wrote:Wow! just talked about this today at work.
He is allowed hunting on part of the campground property, the campground adjoins
The math isn’t real hard to do; I pay almost 4K a year in property and school taxes.
I think I could whittle down to a favorite gun or two and the basics and live real comfortably very inexpensively like that. I’m sure like everything else there would be

You must be single casastahle ??
If I told my wife/daughter we are moving into a 10 year old 39 foot camper on a campground.
I would be buy myself and they would even keep the dog??? :lol:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If I want to really pare it down to the minimum,it's My 32-20, an 870 12ga with several barrels and a 30-06. also My reloading equipment.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

madman4570 wrote:

If I told my wife/daughter we are moving into a 10 year old 39 foot camper on a campground.
LOL Yes there be the two word problem with that program; "LADY JOYCE" :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

casastahle wrote:
madman4570 wrote:

LOL Yes there be the two word problem with that program; "LADY JOYCE" :lol:

Guy,
Honestly, I do not begruge anyone for scaling back as their need arises to. I guess this sort of touches a deeper nerve because I "used to have" a very close friend I grew up with that later in life ended up having a bad problem drinking.He owned a Construction Company which he lost, and the last straw was he sold 20 heirloom guns his Grandfather left him for almost nothing to take a trip to Atlantic City for a month.(I found this out after the fact)
Because of the great disrespect he showed to his Grandfather and also I was told by him that he felt the NRA was stealing people's money doing nothing and he would never belong???(we had a knock down drag out)I did wait until he was sober.(he did get knocked out though :roll: )Anyway I disowned him as a friend and he can rot as far as I am concerned.I don't need friends like that even if they were friends for 40years.(since 4 years old,funny we met by my older brother telling his older brother "my little brother can kick your little brothers backside) so they put us up to a scrap! (wouldn't happen now a days)I think!

Anyway nothing wrong with someone doing their own thing except what my used to be friend did I thought that was unreal, but if he would do that to his Grandad he would do it to me. Sorry for the rant!
Maybe that has some little thing to do with the way I think,in some twisted way??????????
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

My guns are not necessarily an investment, but certainly a hedge against depreciation. I recently gave my daughter a computer and my son one of my Marlins. As I try to keep things equal, my wife noted that the computer cost much more than the Marlin. My response to her was "what do you think each will be worth in 10 years"? That computer will be in the landfill in 10 years, but it's what she needed right now. BTW, my son has a house full of computers.
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

There are alot of areas in my life that would have to be simplified before I would do what you are considering.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy