Wild Pig Hog

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sighthunter
Levergunner

Wild Pig Hog

Post by Sighthunter »

Will,

Good Shooting hunt the wild pig hog.

Sighthunter.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Wild Pig Hog

Post by piller »

Just so you all know, Sighthunter's primary language is American Sign Language. n2t, she liked the pictures that Amanda took for you. If anyone has trouble understanding Sighthunter, just ask me and I'll try to interpret. 86er and Rkrodle seem to do OK when talking to her face to face. So does CRS.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Welcome to the camp fire, Sighthunter.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sighthunter,

Welcome to our forum.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Way Cool!

I've heard she's quite the hunter herself!!
An Elk no less. :mrgreen: I've been hunting a looooong time and have never had a chance at an elk! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire Sighthunter... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Welcome Sighthunter. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Good to have you here Sighthunter. BTW, Chinese has a very similar grammatical structure to ASL. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I never knew that ASL had its own grammatical rules. I have always assumed the speaker just used the rules for his "native" language, substituting ASL words.

As they say, learn something new...
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Otto, that is a very common misunderstanding. ASL actually uses no helping verbs, and almost half of what is to be expressed happens by expression or where the hands are placed. Many hand shapes mean differen things just from there they are placed. It was really hard for me to learn, but as Sighthunter went deaf very young from ear infections, she learned it easier than I did. Young people can learn easier most of the time. If in sign language I would say I am going to the store, I would sign "Go store I." I might not even put in the "I" based on whether I was with someone whose primary language is ASL. To them I would just sign "Go store" and move my eyebrows up to indicate that it is me going.
D. Brian Casady
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Welcome aboard...

jumbeaux
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Sighthunter wrote:Good Shooting hunt the wild pig hog.
It's pretty obvious that if this were made into a bumper sticker, it would sweep the nation.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Welcome, Sighthunter!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Welcome to the fire Sighthunter!

I too had severe ear infections as a child - I have a partial hearing loss as a result. And it didn't help any that I swam competitively for 10 years age 8 to 18. They were very painful and there was virtually nothing you could do to aleviate the pain.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

piller wrote:Otto, that is a very common misunderstanding. ASL actually uses no helping verbs, and almost half of what is to be expressed happens by expression or where the hands are placed. Many hand shapes mean differen things just from there they are placed. It was really hard for me to learn, but as Sighthunter went deaf very young from ear infections, she learned it easier than I did. Young people can learn easier most of the time. If in sign language I would say I am going to the store, I would sign "Go store I." I might not even put in the "I" based on whether I was with someone whose primary language is ASL. To them I would just sign "Go store" and move my eyebrows up to indicate that it is me going.
So, forgive me, but do native ASL speakers have difficulty understanding other languages (such as English)?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, I'm not great at ASL. My wife has a lady who comes in to help the wife with the housekeeping (another subject) and that lady, Rita, is deaf. I'm the 'translator'! :lol: Some days are good and others are a lot of finger spelling!

Soldiers would find ASL useful in many situations as would people in some factory situations. I think it ought to be taught in all schools BEFORE Spanish... Yes, the military has a "sign language" but it doesn't have the detail. I can't tell you the number of times I had to move away from some sort of noisemaker to communicate. When I had a person in my section who could also sign it was VERY convenient. We could even 'talk' over a briefer to cue slides, training aids, give updated information, etc. Standing on either side of a pair of running generators trying to work out power distribution problems was possible without going horse.

So, now we've gotten way off track!

I once asked if we had any deaf shooters on the forum and got no replies. We do have two deaf shooters who come into the shop. One does absolutely NO ASL. Both are quite involved in the sport and I would call them advanced reloaders.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes, Sighthunter staill has trouble with English. The sentence structure is completely different. Don't feel bad for not knowing, and she has been very good about not becoming mad when someone doesn't understand.
D. Brian Casady
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Otto wrote:
piller wrote:Otto, that is a very common misunderstanding. ASL actually uses no helping verbs, and almost half of what is to be expressed happens by expression or where the hands are placed. Many hand shapes mean differen things just from there they are placed. It was really hard for me to learn, but as Sighthunter went deaf very young from ear infections, she learned it easier than I did. Young people can learn easier most of the time. If in sign language I would say I am going to the store, I would sign "Go store I." I might not even put in the "I" based on whether I was with someone whose primary language is ASL. To them I would just sign "Go store" and move my eyebrows up to indicate that it is me going.
So, forgive me, but do native ASL speakers have difficulty understanding other languages (such as English)?
Otto,

Any ASL user who can read and write is effectively bilingual. However, I think every user of ASL is different. I have met a couple of people with cerebral palsy who are either deaf as a result OR can't speak and so use ASL. One hears the spoken word but has to respond in ASL. In years past, even today, there is in the deaf community a sort of cultural conflict over becoming oral to mainstream with hearing people or being militantly ASL oriented. Whichever path is chosen by the parents of a deaf child would obviously affect their English language skills.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

piller wrote:Yes, Sighthunter still has trouble with English. The sentence structure is completely different. Don't feel bad for not knowing, and she has been very good about not becoming mad when someone doesn't understand.
Well, if Sighthunter won't get frustrated with my now poor signing skills... :wink:

There are many multi-lingual people on this forum and I'm sure some have felt the frustrations inherent in communicating with others when either they aren't up to it or the other person isn't up to it. It is all part of the learning process.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Sighthunter - Welcome to the forum. Don't be shy. Post as often as you like and as often as you can.
ED
Yer never too old
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Hobie wrote:There are many multi-lingual people on this forum and I'm sure some have felt the frustrations inherent in communicating with others when either they aren't up to it or the other person isn't up to it. It is all part of the learning process.
Actually, I have studied three other languages myself, though only at the high-school level, so I understand exactly. More than once have I tried to strike a conversation, and then stood there like a deer in the headlights, going, "uh... yeah. Have a nice day..."

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Since we all have a love of leverguns and most things outdoor related, we all have at least a good start on understanding each other.
D. Brian Casady
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Welcome Sighthunter!!!! It's good to have you posting here. Look forward to reading what you have to say.
Ricky

DWWC
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Heck, we get confusion between two parties who both think they speak "english".

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Welcome aboard Sighthunter!
NRA Life Member
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Welcome Sighthunter!! I'm sure tall tales about exciting hunts trancend the language difference! When the time comes for you to relate your latest adventure, we'll be "all eyes"!!
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

ASL is one of those things I have taken course on and I get to practice a bit at my church. I will have to get up to speed again.

Sighthunter, we are blessed to have you at our camp fire. I hope you enjoy it. We have enjoyed hearing of your exploits in hunting. Blessings to you.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Welcome!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the fire. Hope you enjoy it.
Old Law Dawg
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Thank you for the comment, Amanda and I will be posting the video ASAP. The second video may need a bit of editing..someone jumped all over the place when I shot the pig, so we will try to add pics of phantom pig after the end of the video or something. Note to self camcorder and tripod next time. No problem understanding, I just hadn't realized it was to me till I got the PM now it all makes sense. Now that you've joined the forum, maybe we'll all run into each other at the next event.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

WELCOME SIGHTHUNTER
post often...
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

Had a guy that worked for me a while back. He couldn’t hear and I didn’t understand “signing” so I just wrote down what I wanted him to do. Unfortunately, he had an adversity to showing up for work and I had to let him go.

Then he gave me a sign that I did understand ! :lol:

True story.
Levergunning & Handloading
Yeah, I roll my own pilgrim
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

444Hal wrote:Had a guy that worked for me a while back. He couldn’t hear and I didn’t understand “signing” so I just wrote down what I wanted him to do. Unfortunately, he had an adversity to showing up for work and I had to let him go.

Then he gave me a sign that I did understand ! :lol:

????Thumb's up????

:D

That's USL - Universal sign language.

Welcome Sighthunter. Where is the picture of that elk?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Big Sarge
Levergunner

Post by Big Sarge »

Hi. I hope you'll be able to understand my typing. The older I get, the more my spelling declines. LOL
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

My daughter started taking ASL this year in high school. She really likes it. She is taking ASL 2 next year, then advanced ASL. She says she wants to teach at a deaf school. This is the first time she has actually thought about what she wants to do for a career. Any info or advice for her would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
Sighthunter
Levergunner

Post by Sighthunter »

DAVE. THAT IS GOOD FOR YOUR DAUGHTER. I LEARNED BY ASL FOR 21 YEARS AGO. THANKS AGAIN.

SIGHTHUNTER09
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Welcome sighthunter, Glad to have you.(just started to practice my finger spelling after reading this post might come in handy, cause God knows I can't type) Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The history of Sign Languages is really fascinating. Most of them started out as pidgins developed by the Hearing, but as more and more children learned the pidgins, they redeveloped the whole system(s) into a unique grammatical structure(s).

Nowhere is this more noticeable than the shift from LSN to ISN.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Welcome Sighthunter. Your interest in leverguns is all you'll need here.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Welcome Sighthunter!!!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

Smithing, Reloading, now all about sign language!! Is there nothing you can't learn something about on this site?? :-)
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Sighthunter wrote:Good Shooting hunt the wild pig hog.
It's pretty obvious that if this were made into a bumper sticker, it would sweep the nation.
Hmm... I $ee dollar $ign$...

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Welcome to the fire Sighthunter,alot of good folks here. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

good site,
http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

i wanted to make it say, welcome home, but it won't stay on that
selection. oh well, nice try. :roll: :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just a quick note from Dad, Sighthunter is getting an upgrade to her processor for her cochlear implant. It is called the Harmony and is made by Advanced Bionics. Here is their website.
http://www.advancedbionics.com/index.cfm?langid=1
We had to talk to the insurance company several times and finally got the acceptance for the upgrade.
D. Brian Casady