OT...MERWIN HULBERT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

OT...MERWIN HULBERT

Post by 4t5 »

Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these now that they are being made again? What did you think? good,bad,or otherwise.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: OT...MERWIN HULBERT

Post by Doc Hudson »

Who is making them?

Are they actually on the market or is it just another glittering promise?

Last time they were announced we were invited to pay in full, in advance, and be patient for a couple of years.

Which models are supposed to be available?

Don't keep me in suspense, you've got me salivating!!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Same company Doc and I don't think they've shipped. What they have done is come up with some computer renderings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Thanks hobie.

i don't know about anyone else, but I ain't about to lay down serious cash in hopes of eventually getting a new merwin hulbert.

I'll just continue biding my time until they are actually on dealer shelves. Who knows, I might even run into a deal as good as the one I stupidly passed up 20 years ago while waiting.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I am not laying out money for a non-existent product either.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Caramba!
That thing is uglier than a mud fence.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Investment castings and CNC machiing would make a MH possible but I doubt that we will ever see anything beyond requests for $$ so someone can finance their website. A large manufacturer with the equipment and a product line in place that could cover expenses might be able to bring them to the table but I can't see a small shop or begining manufacturer doing it. If they were avaliable I would grab 1 or 2 or ? but it doesn't look like I'll ever own one.
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

mescalero1 wrote:Caramba!
Ugly is as ugly does. lol
Read up on them .. Very cool guns . Quit change barrels .
Just cool well made guns in there day.
Hi Doc long time no see???
I'm a betting you do not even remember me??? :P
Well we had a fun day anyway . Trust me on that..

Hay you Doc you told me you had a gret shooting 38 WCF marlin.
Well I bought a old 1889 38 WCF off here . Shot like the guy told me.
Like stuff and come to find out barrel is slugged at .410 . Shoots ok now
I THINK. JUST A SHORT TEST.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The "new" MH is largely the effort of the same guy who made a splash in trying to "save" Winchester when the USRAC plant closed in New Haven in '06.
There was no chance of that, and for a while his newly-formed company was merely selling coffee cups on his website.

His outfit then became a "gunmaker" in search of a gun to make, and settled on the always-in-development Merwin Hulbert.

I've emailed back & forth with him, and finally told him to get with me when he has a production piece I can handle.
In the meantime, while I'd like to see them succeed in the resurrection of a neat old revolver, I would not tie up any of my money on a CGI gun.

Denis
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hawkeye2 wrote:Investment castings and CNC machiing would make a MH possible but I doubt that we will ever see anything beyond requests for $$ so someone can finance their website. A large manufacturer with the equipment and a product line in place that could cover expenses might be able to bring them to the table but I can't see a small shop or begining manufacturer doing it. If they were avaliable I would grab 1 or 2 or ? but it doesn't look like I'll ever own one.
Gregg,

I'm afraid you have me mixed up with a different Doc Hudson. I've never owned a gun chambered for .38 WCF, of any type. I'm glad yours is shooting good for you though.

For most of the last 20 years I've been in exile in Mississippi but I am now back in Alabama.

But that doesn't mean i would not enjoy getting together to shoot and chew the fat.

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

DPris,

I think he was also going to bring back the Savage 99... Well, with the economy as it is I think the MH is going to be a tough sale as forecast prices were in the $1500 range and that might have been optimistic. We'll see. Mike Venturino said in print that there would never be a reproduction 1876 Winchester! :wink:

Speaking of other reproductions, did anyone ever produce the the cap-n-ball Adams revolvers? I thought Pietta or Pedersoli were going to but... The Starr did get produced. Now there is an ungainly, ugly duckling (although the originals I've handled were well put together).
Sincerely,

Hobie

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

their site says 1250 for the MH and they are asking for 20% down. Would the open top be ok with .357 loads? or would it be better in version 4 with the top strap? What calibers would you guys pick?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:their site says 1250 for the MH and they are asking for 20% down. Would the open top be ok with .357 loads? or would it be better in version 4 with the top strap? What calibers would you guys pick?
I'd love one in 44-40!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rjohns94 wrote:their site says 1250 for the MH and they are asking for 20% down. Would the open top be ok with .357 loads? or would it be better in version 4 with the top strap? What calibers would you guys pick?
Mike,
I told them I wanted the interchangeable barrel lengths, cylinders for .44 WCF and .44 Special, AND the grip frame shown in the CGI renderings. Price was somewhere above $1500 at the time. IOW I was SWAGging the price! Glad you had the gumption to go look it up.
Sincerely,

Hobie

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hobie, I'm not sure what the extra barrels go for or extra chambers. I just plugged in a 4 inch, 4th gen, with skull crusher in .357. I imagaine everything would add up to be quite the investment.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'd settle for a .44 WCF, but i'd rather have a .44 S&W Special.

I'd want a 5" and 3" barrel and a folding hammer would be nice too.

I remember reading Elmer Keith's comments about the Prohibition Agent he knew in the early 1930's who carried a Merwin Hulbert .44-40.

I still kick myself for passing up a shootable 3" Pocket Army in .44-40 for $395.00. And I had the money to buy it!! Last Merwin Hulbert I had a chance to handle was a small frame .38 S&W SA with a 6" barrel and near mint condition for $695.00

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rjohns94 wrote:Hobie, I'm not sure what the extra barrels go for or extra chambers. I just plugged in a 4 inch, 4th gen, with skull crusher in .357. I imagaine everything would add up to be quite the investment.
I wouldn't be surprised if the pricing was constantly fluctuating!
Sincerely,

Hobie

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

There was a company I belive in Sweden or Switzerland that made a copy of the Adams
percussion revolver back in the 80s .It was
a semi custom job and went for lots of money.The same firm made pricy underhammer target rifles as well.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Wow,
I like you guys, I really do.
But to see you guys Jonesing for a substandard piece of stuff,
it is profoundly disturbing.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

:lol: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is VERY COOL, but not at that price!!! :shock:
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Well I did get to make a few parts for a friends M/H 44-40 revolver, a 3 1/2" birdshead. I have shot it enought to get some insight having put a box of b/p and a box of smokless through the gun. These are about the finest machined guns ever made, but they are sure not suited for B/P. No wonder they didn't sell.
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

I don't think that gun can be made here in America for $1250.00.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I kinda like the looks of it. Interesting without the top strap.

I'd pay $400 for one, but not $1500! Nowadays, with CNC, no reason one can't be produced cheaper than that. It doesn't appear to be a complex weapon.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

alnitak wrote:
I kinda like the looks of it. Interesting without the top strap.

I'd pay $400 for one, but not $1500! Nowadays, with CNC, no reason one can't be produced cheaper than that. It doesn't appear to be a complex weapon.
I was thinking the same thing. $400 sounds resonable...
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

$400 wouldn't even get you cast parts & soft guts on that gun.
If it's ever done & done right, it won't be cheap.
Denis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Denis and I were part of a discussion about CNC and its affect on production (among other things) on another forum. The upshot is that people were told to expect great things from CAD and CNC as regards cost savings that just can't happen. BUT $1500 today is not what $1500 was even just 10 years ago.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

It doesn't appear to be a complex weapon.

Better take a second look at the barrel to frame interlocking and latch. With its twist & pull ejection system it is a complicated pistol and the ones with a top strap required even more machining. Any play developing here would turn the revlover into a paperweight fast. If it could be done in Italy for $700 I wouldn't be interested as I'm sure it would be a box of parts that wouldn't work well together. To produce a MH with interchangable barrels that would lock in place with a bore centered over a chamber and maintain a reasonable barrel/cylinder gap would require extremely accurate machining and very high quality control. I wonder if it could be done for $1200 and am willing to bet that a limited production (which is all a MH would ever be) "turnkey" or "plug & play" gun would be closer to $2000. Turnkey = out of the box with 3-6 lb. trigger, in time, parts interchangable with only minor hand fitting, NO fit/finish issues, 98% reliability.