Marlin 39A Texan

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin 39A Texan

Post by ceb »

I was in one of the local gunshops I frequent yesterday when I spotted this rifle in the rack. Dealer told me it was new in the box. 16" oct barrel. I thought Marlin had discontinued these some time back. Also, I haven't kept up with Marlin pricing lately, but they had this one tagged at $735.00, Ouch!! Nice little rifle, but I decided to pass.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 39A Texan

Post by JB »

I don't think they've made the straight stocked 39A since the 80's. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't buy it either, but that's probably not a bad price if it's truly NIB based on what I see used ones bringing.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IS THIS DEALER SAYING THIS IS A BRAND NEW CURRENT PRODUCTION 39A, OR IS IT A BRAND-NEW-NEVER-USED-NEW-IN-THE-BOX 39A FROM WAY BACK WHEN ??
I HAVE HAD MARLIN 39'S FOR A HALF CENTURY NOW AND NEVER HEARD OF NOR HAVE SEEN A MARLIN 39A AS YOU DESCRIBE IT.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The 1897 Texan was a 20" octagon barreled, straight stocked, special run rifle back in 2002-2003. $700 NIB is not of line. They made the 1897 Cowboy the year before. It was the same, but had a 24" barrel. These were both 39A's that had "cosmetic" changes.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have one of the straight stocked Marlin .22's
I like it.
It seems more " classy " to me.
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

If I recall correctly, there was a "Mountie" type 39 variant.....the Marlin 1897 Texan. The Texan is essentially the Mountie with a square lever, 20" octagon barrel, straight stock, Marbles sights and checkering on the forearm and stock handle.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Dan 444 wrote:If I recall correctly, there was a "Mountie" type 39 variant.....the Marlin 1897 Texan. The Texan is essentially the Mountie with a square lever, 20" octagon barrel, straight stock, Marbles sights and checkering on the forearm and stock handle.
Yes the Mountie had a round barrel and squire lever 20'' barrel too would love a oct barrel though.
03gringo
Levergunner

Post by 03gringo »

I have a Marlin 1897 Texan as others have described, with 20" octagon barrel, straight stock, etc. I have seen them sell for $700-750 so that price mentioned is not far off for this rifle.

Kenny
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Dan 444 and jdad described it perfectly and I thought that was about the years they were made. I guess it was a 20" barrel it just looked shorter that that to me. This dealer didn't say it was current manufacture, just said NIB and it looked it. I remember passing one of these up 4-5yrs ago for $550, thought it was too much then. I know this rifle has the crossbolt safety, does it also have the rebounding hammer?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

ceb wrote:Dan 444 and jdad described it perfectly and I thought that was about the years they were made. I guess it was a 20" barrel it just looked shorter that that to me. This dealer didn't say it was current manufacture, just said NIB and it looked it. I remember passing one of these up 4-5yrs ago for $550, thought it was too much then. I know this rifle has the crossbolt safety, does it also have the rebounding hammer?

It's post 1988, so Absofreakinloutly. :twisted: It has all the unnecessary stuff.

There is a fix, for both. Go to rimfirecentral.com, login to the "Marlin" section, and ask for "Gizzy's 39A fix".
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Try the following URL for Marlin information. I looked but saw nothing on a Model 39 Texan.

http://www.pmulcahy.com/lever-action_ri ... marlin.htm
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry