just thinking out loud, bolt-action in .375 Winchester?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

just thinking out loud, bolt-action in .375 Winchester?

Post by new pig hunter »

Here's a topic for discussion that's been rattling around in my head for awhile, so I'd like to open up the floor to discuss the pro's and con's of a bolt-action rifle in .375 Winchester.

I have no understanding of what makes a good lever action cartridge, or a good bolt action cartridge, or a good semi-auto cartridge. For example, we've all seen the .223 and .30-06 and .308 round cartridge in bolt action and semi-auto, double duty so to speak in two different platforms.

So I had the wild idea: would the .375 Winchester cartridge be suitable/reasonable in a bolt-action rifle ??
My "hidden agenda" for asking this is "accuracy." Long story, the short version being I had the Marlin lever action (.375 Winchester) at the range the other day and was all over the target (maybe I'm not supposed to shoot 15 rounds relatively quickly because it gets too hot and becomes unstable ??).

Anyway, there it is: would the .375 Winchester cartridge be suitable/reasonable in a bolt-action rifle ??

Cheers,

Carl
Last edited by new pig hunter on Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

How dare you, shame on you :lol: :lol:
May have mag troubles with the rim!!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Like Nath said, the rim might give problems. If you found a model 54 Winchester Chambered for 30-30, that would be the easiest conversion. You could also perhaps look at converting a P14 Enfield, or a SMLE but that might get pretty expensive.

I get my hackles up every time someone talks about bolt guns being more accurate. If people were comparing apples to apples, the average shooter I bet couldn't tell the difference. Too many people stuff whatever cheap discount ammo they can find into a factory iron sighted (read crappy make-due sights here) rifle with a 6 lb creepy trigger and expect it to shoot equal to their Remington 700 BDL.

I'm betting if they set their triggers at 6 lbs on the BDL with plenty of creep, added the cheapest set of iron sights they could find on it, and bought the cheapest Yugoslavian ammo they could find, their shooting wouldn't be any different.

I'm not ranting here, but I don't think people give it a good honest try when it comes to making a levergun accurate. Folks will spend upwards of $1000 on a bolt gun after they put their Looey scope on it, but don't want to spend more than $250 on their 30-30 and then complain that it "just doesn't shoot accurate like my bolt gun".

Ed
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Like ed said, give it some more time and another load. They can be very accurate. Mine likes heavier bullets.

As for the bolt action 375, I'd suggest doing what Paco suggested (sort of) and take a 308 rifle and convert it to 308/375. More power than the 308 or 375 Win with a lot more bullets available.

There are a number of 30-06/375 versions out there and are very potent.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Pick up an old Savage model 340 (dime a dozen in pawn shops and 30/30 so same rim size as 375 Winny) and have the barrel rebored, best bang fer da buck in a .375 bolt gun. :wink:
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Aside from the feeding problems Nath mentioned, I don't see why not. But I might suggest a custom carbine barrel for a Thompson-Center Contender or Encore. They provide a platform agreeable to rimmed cartridges and have a good rep for accuracy. As I recall, TC put out a Contender barrel for the 375 (pistol length) years ago and Handloader Magazine did a story on the combo.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

encore 375 win and yes it does shoot :D goes well with the win BB94 375.
pete

DAV life member.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Sometimes gun folks just want to do it their way and come up with some notions of cartridges and actions, that were never designed to be wedded together. With enough time, energy, money and a top notch gunsmith many of the projects can be brought to life.

But, when you are finished you will have spent enough money to buy several off the shelf rifles, and will have a rifle with a value of a fraction of what you put into it, because nobody but you would want such a thing.

I see no reason why foks should not do this, if they see what is coming and are willing to pay the freight for the novel idea.

When and if the project is done, you will have a rifle that will be no more effective and probably less effective that a stock .358 Winchester or .35 Whelen. You will have laid out a sizable amount of cash with the only benefit is being able to say, you did it your way.

Your money..your time..your life.. have at it!
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

Why not a 375 Winchester on a nice box-lock double rifle??? Just think of the money you could pour into that.

Hartman
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I guess that is why we all don't drive chevy's around.that said I have seen people drop alot of $$ to rework a old K98K D&T scope mounts custom triggers,stocks and a heavy barrel and would have been well ahead of the game buying a sav 110 :lol: .different strokes for different folks.
pete
DAV life member.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Ganjiro hit the nail on the head. I picked up a savage 325 and was thinking of sending it off to Jess Uncompagh (sp?) and having it rebored, for a bolt .375 (To go with my 375 Marlin!!) :D
Last edited by Thunder50 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Get an old Husky 9,3x57 Mauser, and you vill have comparable prestanda. The old Potato-caster do the same job as the .375W with not too much job and alterations. Norma makes brass and bullets for it - a 286 grs RN at 2150 fps hit like a freight train. It is still a popular cartridge for moose and bear in Scandinavia. I bought my .375W to get the same prestanda in a levergun.

Old Sh.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

LOL, you guys are funny ..... already assuming that I've started writing huge checks ..... just because I'm retired doesn't mean I've gone simple ..... LMAO.

When I wrote that I have no understanding about this stuff, I wasn't kidding. So I have learned something valuable: I had no idea there was a bolt-action rifle in .30-30. And that that rifle could be a reasonable vehicle to make a .375W bolt action. Interesting stuff to remember if/when I hit the lottery and have more cents than sense.

Anyway, sounds like I need to get serious about incorporating Paco's accurizing recommendations and see how those will affect the situation.

Cheers,

Carl
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

What is wrong with a model 94 big bore?? I have one with a 26 inch octagon barrel and one that is still factory. Both shoot just fine with my lead bullets.
The gun writers had this cartridge all wrong and still don't get it.
Just for fun I shot my 26 inch 375 winchester at a clay pidgin on the ground at 200 yards at my club and missed it by maybe 6 inches and that was with open sights and 60 year old eyes. Now if that is a short range rifle I will take it. Now I need to see what I can do if I really try.
No the 26 inch octagon isn't factory as when they were making these they didn't even think of a longer barrel. Mine where made 79-80 time frame so they are both top eject.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I recently saw a No.4 Lee Enfield in 38-55 in a gun shop. It was still in its original wood and had some very minor owner made mods to the magazine.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Shouldn't cost much more than $325 for the setup. You can pick up the Savage guns sometimes for around $150 and I believe Jess does the reboring/rechambering for $145. Add shipping both ways and you should be set to go.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

can that old 30/30 340 sav. handle the operating pressures of the 375??52K cup iirc is just a tad more than 30/30.
DAV life member.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Thought about the same thing a while ago, I'm looking for a rem 788 in 30/30 to convert.Was thinking of just down loading a 375 h&h,but the guns and components are just so expensive around here.
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

txpete wrote:can that old 30/30 340 sav. handle the operating pressures of the 375??52K cup iirc is just a tad more than 30/30.
It was factory chambered in 225 Winchester. Don't know what pressure the 225 works at but probably a lot more than the 30-30.

Bruce
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

txpete wrote:Image

encore 375 win and yes it does shoot :D goes well with the win BB94 375.
pete

Txpete thats not funny as I was looking at your last picture I smacked the screen with the back of my hand,at least I didn't have to use a paper towel to wipe the knats guts off!

Bob :lol:
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Great now you got me thinking......A couple years ago a gentleman from Alabama that I got to know a little bit on another forum converted a Hungarian Mannlicher M-95 straight pull rifle from 8X56mm to 45-70 so I went down stairs and pulled a 8X56 cartridge and compared it to my 38-55 and 375 Win cartridges.

No reason it would not work. The rifle's barrel would have to be bored out or replaced but it certainly is doable.

Helluva a little powerhouse it would be!

Wm

P.S. I gotta see if I can find another one of these M95s cheap
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

375 bolt action.

Post by dgr416 »

I think the 375 winchester would be awesome in a Remington model 788 or a savage bolt action.I would really like a classy light weight double in it built on a 410 frame.The valmet over and under 375 winchester is a rare bird too as is the savage 1899 in the 375 winchester.I missed a Ruger #3 for $350 I should have bought.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I think a cheaper conversion is to pick up a new or used Handirifle :D (not me, I'm well used) in 30-30, and have it bored out to 375 Win. Can easily handle the 375 rated pressure (52K CUP) and you could get any type or twist rifling you wanted.

The 30-30 has the same base and case head size so you're set there.

I have the H&R Target model in 38-55, but the bore dia is too large for .375 bullets.

LOTS of possibilities there.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Here's my Ariska in 38-55. It has pushed 270 grains to over 2,200.

Picked it up about 8 years ago for little to nothing compared to what it should have cost for someone to build.

Loading the shells in the mag isn't any worse than if you've loaded a Swift. Just make sure you don't push the rim behind the one below.

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I seem to remember an article (in African Hunter, maybe) about a guy that made a .375 Win double rifle from a european over under double shotgun. It was very detailed and explained the regulation and such. He then took it to African and shot some critters with it.
Want me to try to locate that one?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Rhys.94.375
Levergunner

Post by Rhys.94.375 »

indeed CRS. would be a great read.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

txpete wrote:can that old 30/30 340 sav. handle the operating pressures of the 375??52K cup iirc is just a tad more than 30/30.
My .38-55 Winchester chambered Contender will do 255@2000 fps at .30-30 pressures. I think that is the way to go, i.e. chamber the Savage to .38-55. Whether or not it will feed I don't know. I think the .30-30 taper helps in that gun. Just my opinion, the .38-55 could very well work.

One could also rebore and rechamber a No. 4 to .375 NE 2½" which is actually just a bit better.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Another thought on this topic for those of us that exist here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, and who currently shoot a lever action caliber for which only lead bullets exist: the lead bullet ban when hunting.

A .375 Winchester bolt action using Barnes .375" all-copper TSX bullets, which are now made in 235, 270, & 300 grain:
http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/tsx-bullet/

Cheers,

Carl
Buckeye
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Buckeye »

I've seen a Savage 340 that was a 30-30 re-bored to 375 Win. by Jess.
I'd been thinking bout a bolt gun in 375 Win. or 358 win. but I ordered a stainless steel Ruger M77 in 350 Rem. Mag. I've got alot of .358 bullets laying around and a alot of H335 powder ..so what the heck.
that 350 Rem. Mag is a heck of a round.
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

Well guys, in my thoughts a 788 rem. would be a better choice than the savage 340 platform. Yes the 340 will handle the pressure when new, however, around these parts a like new 340 will run you about 300 bucks. And since they are a favorite "kids" gun around here they don't last long! Occasionally we find a 788 beater in the same price range, and in my opinion they are a far stronger action in any shape. And if I am going to spend money on a "special" project you can rest assured that I will shoot the heck out of it! As an aside to this does anyone have a smith they would recommend to rebarrel a 340 to 25/35 or maybe even 7X30? Due to the fire I have two actions that would work well for a project gun as they need refinishing and new stocks any how!
Everyday is a learning day!
Pain is good, pain is our friend, pain is the ONE TRUE constant in a changing world! Sargent David L. Meyers gone but not forgotten.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - just thinking out loud, bolt-action in .375 Winches

Post by arjunky »

Bumped from dead for awp101
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - just thinking out loud, bolt-action in .375 Winches

Post by AJMD429 »

Savage made a bolt-action .30-30 and I've known a couple folks who really loved them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: just thinking out loud, bolt-action in .375 Winchester?

Post by Thunder50 »

Convert a P14 enfield. I have such a critter in 38-55. More of a benchrest gun with its heavy barrel. However with the BRP 310gr cast boolit, I can hit a 7"x7" plate @500yds (assuming wind not blowing)about every shot. If it had a better trigger (military one now), I could probably go every shot.

Rebored 340/325 is the way to go.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

txpete lives on here - Ruger #1 is the way to go.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:txpete lives on here - Ruger #1 is the way to go.
I started reading from the top, and had a serious head rush when I saw Pete's handle 8) He's one of the good guys.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV