OT (kinda)- Gun Show reports

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

OT (kinda)- Gun Show reports

Post by vancelw »

Went to the "big" gun show in Paris Texas today. I've never found any gun bargains there, but have made a few good sales and trades.

Saw some leverguns, but they were all overpriced. I sure did drool over a BLR in .450 Marlin, but I like my 1886 better.
94AEs with pitted and rusted receivers had asking prices of 350 or so. I didn't bother looking at the bores. :roll:

Today I lucked out and found a guy selling bullet casting equipment.

I bought a Lyman 450 Lube sizer, two 4-cavity Lyman pistol bullet moulds (each with handle and matching sizer die/top punch), and a cast iron lead pot for 80 bucks.

I already have a 4500 lube sizer, but now I can set them both up and not have to swap dies so much. I usually don't lube and size until I'm ready to set the bullet on top on the case and seat it.

Oh, and as I was about to leave another interesting thing happened. :shock: :o

I've been going to guns shows several times a year for 25 years now. Today was the first time I ever heard a gun go off in one :shock: :o :shock:

Some moron was looking at a .22 and "dry" fired it, causing a negligent discharge. Good thing he had it pointed to the ceiling.
I left shortly thereafter, and the off-duty cop working security was headed his way. I hope he hooked him up good. :evil:
Last edited by vancelw on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gun Show report

Post by Pete44ru »

[Some moron was looking at a .22 and "dry" fired it, causing a negligent discharge. Good thing he had it pointed to the ceiling.
I left shortly thereafter, and the off-duty cop working security was headed his way. I hope he hooked him up good.
]

That's exactly why I check EVERY firearm for "empty", that I look at/handle at a gun show (anywhere, really) - even though the FFL's give me the "fish eye" as I do so, acting like I insulted their intelligence/capabilities.

I'd rather insult them, than have an AD.

BTW - the trigger snapper was a badboy, for sure - but the seller ought to get banned from the show IMHO.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

So, how was the beef jerky? :D
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Pete44ru wrote:
That's exactly why I check EVERY firearm for "empty", that I look at/handle at a gun show (anywhere, really) - even though the FFL's give me the "fish eye" as I do so, acting like I insulted their intelligence/capabilities.

I'd rather insult them, than have an AD.

BTW - the trigger snapper was a badboy, for sure - but the seller ought to get banned from the show IMHO.

If it insults them, so be it. I can watch you unload a gun and then check it 5 times, I'm still going to check it again when you hand it to me. Been around guns my whole life and was taught not to touch them unless an adult was around (now I are one) and that every gun was loaded-even if it was empty.

I have only been present for 2 negligent discharges in my life. Both involved .22s. People empty the magazine or remove the clip, then work the action. Lots of folks don't visually check the chamber like they should have been taught. A very dirty .22 will often leave around in the chamber because the extractor can't get under the rim.

The gun had to of come off of the dealer's table, because it would have been checked by the cop if it had come in the front door.

My first instinct was to hit the floor, but in a fraction of a second you realize it's too late to duck.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT (kinda)- Gun Show reports

Post by Mac in Mo »

I do the same thing(checking guns) at shows and get about the same reaction. That is why I really don't handle too many guns at the shows, unless I really am considering buying that gun. How many times have you turned your head to be looking down the barrel of whatever the moron next to you happens to be handling. I duck and if its in reach I'll push the barrel upwards. Last year at a show I had to grab my young son and pull him backwards, some pinhead had a rifle pointed right at him. I really had to restrain myself that time. I don't get the thinking that safe gun handling rules go out the window at shows.

Kevin
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Round here it's not just the gun shows but the gun shops that I cringe at goin into at atimes. Maybe it's a good thing that the nearest big 5 doesn't sell firearms anymore. More than once I have seen a barell pointed in the wrong direction in a gun shop. :(
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I unloaded a new Ruger .357 I brought home to show my friend. I guess I missed one while unloading, but handed him the gun with the loading gate open so he could check it. I know he knows proper firearm safety, and assumed he would check the gun again before handling. Well, my assumption was wrong, and he shot a hole through my fireplace chimney, and 5 other walls in my house. I was an idiot for not checking the gun myself, but told him the next time he picks up a gun, he better check and double check to make sure it's empty before pulling the trigger. Bottom line, NEVER ASSUME.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jnyork wrote:So, how was the beef jerky? :D

Not ignoring you :!:

Maybe you didn't understand when I put "big" in quotation marks. :lol: I was being generous.

It is a small show, but at least it's mostly guns. There were more coin and jewelry tables than i've ever seen before, but still not to bad.

I did find one decent buy on a pristine Model 70 in .243, but I sent another person to look at it so he'd buy it and keep me out of trouble.