OT - Smokeless Powder Storage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Smokeless Powder Storage

Post by lthardman »

I am quite new to reloading, and while I don't have an abundance of different powder varieties in the basement (yet), I am starting to wonder how others store their powder. I have seen powder storage chests for sales through Cabelas, but before making that $300 leap was wondering what others do to store either black powder or smokeless powder. I want and need to do the right thing as I start getting more powders in-house, so to speak.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Hobie

Re: OT - Smokeless Powder Storage

Post by Hobie »

I use a shelf...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

I'm new to it also., but like Hobie, mine sits on a book shelf. If falling over were a huge danger, it wouldn't be haphazardly scattered all over the shelves at the store, or even out where you can touch it without supervision.

The only thing I wonder about is the threads on the lid. I know I always heard about people killing themselves by screwing shut pipe bombs without Vaseline on the threads, but I guess if the manufactures ship it that way it must be safe.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I beleive that some states require you to store blackpowder in a storage case of specific size and material.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What Hobie said.

It's on a shelf up away from the floor, electrical wiring, or the furnace. I've always stored it that way. No problems.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

oic0 wrote:I'm new to it also., but like Hobie, mine sits on a book shelf. If falling over were a huge danger, it wouldn't be haphazardly scattered all over the shelves at the store, or even out where you can touch it without supervision.

The only thing I wonder about is the threads on the lid. I know I always heard about people killing themselves by screwing shut pipe bombs without Vaseline on the threads, but I guess if the manufactures ship it that way it must be safe.
Steel pipe bombs using black powder. The smokeless powder containers are safe which is why you should leave the powder in the factory container.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

My propellents in 1, 3, or 8lb cans are all on 2x12 shelves bolted to the studs built into a closet in my loading room. The doors are thick and give ample protection against heat transfer. There is a ton of goodies in there. All the large kegs, 30 to 50LBS, are out in the back workshop.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

OT from...Re: OT - Smokeless Powder Storage

Post by 3t- »

I just have to say Mr. Murbach, your posting in lower case has got my center of gravity all wacked out. I can't seem to concentrate and lately I walk with a slight list to the left. I sure hope that you get well soon, recover from this malady that has afflicted you of late and return the earth's magnetic field back to its proper poles. If this has come about due to some disturbance in the FORCE caused by the fallout from some S&W dustup, well sir I'll be sticking with Rugers thank you very much.

If there is anything that me or mine can do for you please write at your earliest convenience...in caps i hope...
regards

3T
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Hmmmm,.... Terry M,... posted?

Nah,.... you must be mistaken, haven't seen him post in quite awhile!

:lol:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That can't be Mr. Murbach in lower case! :o As for powder storage, I just use a shelf about 6 feet off the floor so little kids can't get into my powder supply. I've been using a shelf for more than 40 years.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Lazy, I forgot I had this to say. I still use a shelf.
Sincerely,

Hobie

lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Thanks for the tips, and thanks for the links, Hobie. I feel better about the whole subject, and know what I will do to minimize risks.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

If you want to neaten up and use a locker or trunk for powder storage, a good one can easily be built.

A friend constructed a nice locker using 3/4" plywood, the box being completely lined with sheetrock. The lid can be secured to keeep kids and the curious out, but is not so heavily constructed that it would ever create a bomb; and the sheetrock provides a substantial amount of temporary protection from flame in case of a fire.