OT:soldering shotgun barrels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

OT:soldering shotgun barrels

Post by fordwannabe »

Hi all, I know some of you guys have worked on shotguns extensively and I was given a Manton muzzleloading shotgun for our anniversary by my wife. The problem is the barrels need to be resoldered(if it is to be used it's pretty rough) it was a nice gun in it's day but it has seen better days but something in me wants to get it up and shooting again so How big(and expensive) a job is it to resolder shotgun barrels? nipples need to be drilled out too. Thanks for any advice or comments and if I am out of my mind and should just use it as a wall hanger please let me know that too.Thanks Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT:soldering shotgun barrels

Post by 86er »

I suppose the barrels are damascus. In that case, the right way to do it is to pull the ribs and separate the barrels to examine any corrosion, etc. Next would be to join the barrels and re-lay the ribs. That about a $1200 job. If a small section of barrel is loose from the rib only, it could probably be addressed for $400-$700.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It may be worth having an expert do the rework, considering that Joseph Manton doubles are valued anywhere between $1K - $12K, depending upon condition/gauge.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pete44ru wrote:It may be worth having an expert do the rework, considering that Joseph Manton doubles are valued anywhere between $1K - $12K, depending upon condition/gauge.

Please stop posting pics of nice M/L shotguns :cry:

Nath :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If I had a Joseph Manton double I'd be looking around for Saint Peter as I KNOW I'd be in heaven.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson