Police Shoot Bad Guy....Almost

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Police Shoot Bad Guy....Almost

Post by Bullard4075 »

81 shots..................2 hits.

Let me write that again.

81 shots..............2 hits.

Jeeeeeezzzzz !
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Police Shoot Bad Guy....Almost

Post by mescalero1 »

Phoenix female cop,
bad dog
17 shots,
no hits.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Wow, that's a lot of loose projectiles bouncing around a business/commercial district.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

That's what happens when you hire young, liberal, lame-brained sociology majors to fill vacancies in the department...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Can you post the story.?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When Jr. and I go to the range I take my M28 S&W and he takes his Glock since the .40 short and weak is the issue gun of all the local departments he'll be trying to hire on to when he gets out of school. I put my 6 rounds in the 10 ring while he puts his all over the black. Not too bad, but not as tight a group as mine. He looks at his group and says not too bad ehh? I say yep you can miss a lot more and a lot faster than I can.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Some years back, LAPD made the 9mm an option. The officer bought their own, either a Beretta or a Smith. I was at the local police range when a female officer decided to try her had with her new pistol. She drew, and emptied the magazine. The only place safe on the range was the target. Standing there shaking his head was the range officer. Now they all carry (except for a few oldtimers) high capacity autos. Just gives them more chances to miss before they reload.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Buck Elliott wrote:That's what happens when you hire young, liberal, lame-brained sociology majors to fill vacancies in the department...

Yup. When I used to be a cop I'd take common sense over a college degree any day.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Folks, I have seen highly trained soldiers who could barely fire their weapons in combat, let alone hit what they might be shooting at.

Anything can happen when the balloon goes up.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

jeepnik wrote: Just gives them more chances to miss before they reload.
A pretty good rule of thumb is that if you see a cop in his 50's that's carrying a wheel gun you probably shouldn't try him on for size, he probably shoots that antique very well.

They just dropped the mandatory expert qualification with a revolver on the old PPC course from the LEO firearms instructor course in my state. You used to have to shoot that BEFORE you could even get into the class. If you want to be an instructor you should at least be a shooter first. You'll put in a lot of time and rounds down range to shoot expert on that course. All of us older instructors argued against it because that's where you put the polish on an instructor and drive home all the basics. It was done because virtually no one carries a wheel gun anymore, economics, and mainly due to fact that the police chiefs in the state got tired of their people failing to get into the class because of it.

Very sad day for LEO training when the cost of ammo and a few hurt feelings lowered the bar for becoming a firearms instructor. Hopefully they won't be making up the cost in officer and innocent bystander lives with that decision.:(

Rob

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Can you post the story.?
I'm with you Deerwhacker. Pfffffft! Pffffft! Pfffffft! Is this thing on? :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

The story should be up tonight . We all stood around at work watching it on Fox News.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I forget the particulars, but a retired LEO locally was talking about the annual 'qualification' they had to do, and while I'm no great pistol shot, it seemed pretty lame - something like 75% hits on a pie-plate size target, standing, at 20 yards, if I recall, and the time was NOT rushed at all.

Is there a commonly used 'standard' for qualifying that most city or county departments use...?

I'd like to know what it is, just to see if I'm anything close to that level of ability. (...and NO, I don't want to 'take on' a cop, of any age, nor do I have what it takes to be one. I'm too old, and too much of a chicken, to be a cop... :oops: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Mediocrity: The New Perfection

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

When I was a kid, the only pistol shoots were the border patrol shoots, and I was darned proud of myself when I beat those guys.
Those trophys were not handed out at whim!
You EARNED it!
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Yeah, but they had high cap Glocks. So everything they did was perfection................

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I'm just guessing but is this about the shooting at the Fed building in Vegas?

From the reports I read 7 guards showed up and unloaded on the shooter. Seems to me at least 3 of them should have been looking for a second shooter just in case...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

No,
We all shot double action wheel guns, reloads, and against REAL shooterts.
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Manoman. I thought the same thing when I saw it. 81 rounds. Like someone else said, who knows what you will do when the balloon goes up. One great problem I have seen is the lack of qualifaction with firearms in several LE agencies. Our county deps had no qualification until a couple of years ago. Back when I shot PPC with/against local LEO's, there were a couple of state troopers and two deputies that were hard to beat. All the rest were pretty mediocre. I also remember one Kentucky trooper who shot a perfect score with his 4" model 28 at our yearly match, and that never happened for me with a full "game gun" by Fred Schmidt.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

AJMD429 wrote:. Is there a commonly used 'standard' for qualifying that most city or county departments use...?
That varies from state to state. Until about 4 years ago there was no state requirement for police qualification where I live. The state finally stepped in a developed a mandatory minimum qualification course of fire on a particular target. It took almost 2 years to develope it due to police chiefs crying about the amount of ammo required for quals, you're not going to believe this because it was only 50rds per person, it finally settled on a 20 round course that wasn't all that bad, but certainly not great. They then changed the course because of whining about having to shoot 2 rounds at 50yds and developed an entirely seperate course that's easier for admin and investigative personel. The present course of fire is shown on the bottom link.

This is the old standard that was modified and used by many PDs across the nation, it was found to be much too difficult and costly to suit city attorneys and coin counters: http://www.eohc.ca/ppc.asp

Although this course didn't deal with tactics much, it did produce excellent marksmenship, which should be the base for ALL firearms training. Tactics should be taught for sure, but after the base or foundation is laid.

This is the new Oklahoma standard: http://www.ok.gov/cleet/documents/Firea ... ne2007.pdf

Individual PDs can certainly add other training, but this course MUST be fired once a year and turned into the state.

There are major problems with any course that the final approval rest with the coin counters. Training suffers and instructors get frustrated because they're turning out recruits with a false sense of security in their abilities. One of the standard admonissions to all students at the academies is that these are BASIC skills and that the officer should take the responsiblity to improve on them during their career. IMHO one of these issues with this course is that it has no reloading under time requirement. The recruits training includes it as well as malfunction clearing drills, but there is no test for either in the qualification course. The coin counters theory on this is that with 13-17 rounds in the original load..who needs to worry about reloading under fire? :roll:

It's a sad thing to say but most good, even decent, IPSC or IDPA shooters will eat the AVERAGE cop for lunch.

Rob
Last edited by firefuzz on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:47 am, edited 6 times in total.

Because I can!

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Firearms qualification courses seem to run in cycles. No need changes to immediate requirement when a constituent is killed, more so if it is a child. The requirement fades over time under budgetary pressures until the next "tragedy". In today's world, lawsuits accelerate the cycle.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

And they all worry about "excessive penetration" of the bullets that DO hit the bad guy. They might hit bystanders.

Bruce
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Kinda seems to me that if you are trained to hit the target in a very timely manner whenever you practice, it might just carry over to the real world. The last several years the only place I could practice was at ranges which would not allow the shooter to stand, or even hold the rifle freehand. And rapid fire to practice what is called a double-tap, that will get you kicked off the range. Hogan's Alley with firecrackers or some type of noisemakers might just be what would help prevent this scenario from being repeated.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"The last several years the only place I could practice was at ranges which would not allow the shooter to stand, or even hold the rifle freehand. And rapid fire to practice what is called a double-tap, that will get you kicked off the range. "

I continue to be amazed at some of the rules you gentlemen suffer under.

To not allow double-tap practice solves what problem ?

To not allow freehand practice solves what problem ?

Some should consider moving to Montana. We don't have silly rules.

But then I might have to use my elbows alot.
Jeff Cooper
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Devils advocate here, someone had to do it :evil:

I've never been in a shootout before but I have played a LOT of paintball. I may fire 50-200+ rounds per match and only hit 1 maybe 2 people. Sometimes none. Why? do I have horrible accuracy? It is a few factors.

Suppression fire: You can keep someone pinned by occasionally reminding them that you are there. If you have a buddy that needs to move this is a must. Not to mention it keeps YOU safe. If the enemy is pinned behind a wall he isn't shooting at you.

Not me but this is how it usually plays. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqqdd2Z52Xs . That is a firefight where people are relatively stress free (compared to having your life on the line) and just plain trying to win. (Also the ammo doesn't penetrate anything and no worries about bystanders).

Throwing lead does work though. That is why our government has been moving that direction with military guns (A study they did said the side that fired the most rounds typically won the encounter). That said... it really isn't suitable for a city area full of bystanders!!!!!
jp
Levergunner

Post by jp »

Same thing happened here in Florida, Orlando, Sheriff's fired 100 rounds at a young man seated in a stolen car. The deputies had blocked him in fore and aft. He had about 2 ft. to ram either cruiser. Sheriff in an interview said he didn"t think an excessive amount of shots were fired. The people in the neighborhood suffered 3 shattered glass doors, and numerous broken windows. One woman said she picked 4 bullets out the wall of her living room. Sent this story to my son, a police chief in Ohio, his reaction was, Orange county needs a new sheriff.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

And here I was feeling pretty depressed for only scoring a 95 on our G17 qual...

'course if'n I were the whining type I'd blame the lost 5 pts on the light 30mph Rawlins cross-breeze and 15deg temps... but I'd rather blame it on the ancient surplus DEA gen-1 Glocks & Level 3 retention holster... ;)
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!