Deer are getting better in Texas all the time.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

Deer are getting better in Texas all the time.

Post by ScottT »

Some guys went on a deer capture in Uvalde county about 2 weeks ago and netted this deer, Heart Attack. He scored 248. He has 21 points, an inside spread of 32 ½ inches and an outside spread of 34 ½ inches. He is only 4 years old. If you hunt, that means something to you. If you dont, this will. They put a price tag on him of 1 million dollars.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's some animal. I really don't approve of what passes for rich man deer hunts these days, tho....... But, did I understand correctly? They found this deer in the wild, captured it and are now going to sell it to the highest bidder? Seems like poaching, almost........ :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I have to agree with you. I know nothing more than what I posted.

But the important thing is that this is UVALDE COUNTY! In the 1980s such a deer would have been unheard of in Uvalde County.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

They sure as heck are. That's a beaut!!! :D
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Hmmm...

Money changes everything I guess.

If I could afford a large parcel of land and high fences, I'd certainly be trying to capture deer like this to stock it.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

THis deer was apparently not behind a high fence.
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

I don't believe he was a wild deer. I think it was raised in a pen. Check out this link:

http://deerantics.dnsalias.org/?page_id=7

Notice the pic where he's in velvet. There is a tag in his ear.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I HAVE HAD THAT DEER AS MY BACKGROUND FOR SOME TIME.
HE IS A WHOPPER AND HE IS A HIGH FENCE DEER...OR AT LEAST ON
A VERY LARGE REMOTE RANCH....ITS AMAZING WHAT SUPPLEMENTAL
FEEDING WILL DO! WE HAVE BEEN FEEDING OUR DEER IN FLORIDA
AND WE HAVE SEEN OUR DEER GO FROM SPIKES TO 8 & 10 POINTERS.
WE HAD 1 DEER THAT GROSSED 135...BUT THE GUY NEXT DOOR SHOT HIM...
BUT I DONT THINK WILL EVER SEE ANYTHING CLOSE TO 1/2 THAT
TRUELY A TREMENDOUS DEER..
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I guess that there will always be someone with big bucks who is willing to fork it over and drop that buck as he is hobbled the way game farms do it. Nothing more than slaughter and the rack should be a NO SCORE! Pre-paying for a record book buck is unethical and the practice ought to be outlawed. :?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Bitmap wrote:I don't believe he was a wild deer. I think it was raised in a pen. Check out this link:

http://deerantics.dnsalias.org/?page_id=7

Notice the pic where he's in velvet. There is a tag in his ear.
That is sure enough the same deer! I wonder if my buddy is playing tricks on me!!!! If so, it may be that this deer did not come from Uvalde County and if so, I am sorry for passing something on that was inaccurate. I received the e-mail this morning.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

A few years ago a dentist from Portland (Oregon) shot a monster mulie on public land. But that's all he did - shoot. A guide found the buck and patterned him, then sent pics to the dentist along with the price for the hunt.
I'd rather shoot a forkie my own way than a monster that way. But that's just me.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Try hunting them with stick and string. Then they all become trophies no matter what they score. :)
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Bitmap wrote:Notice the pic where he's in velvet. There is a tag in his ear.
That doesn't necessarily mean he was/is raised in a pen or high fence.

I've hunted S. Texas once before myself and this is how it works. Most of the ranches have thousands of acres...the ranch I hunted on had close to 50K if I remember correctly...so many of the deer on these ranches are born, live, and die on the same ranch. The ranches and various plots are typically separated by 4' tall cattle fencing. After the season is over, some of the ranches catch (by shooting nets over them) deer for tagging and study in conjunction with colleges such as Texas A&M, etc..
It's a way of studying their habits, nutrition, etc......it's how they learn to grow 'em so BIG down there.
The deer I shot on my trip even had a "tracking" collar on him, but that was only used after the season was over by someone at the university. We certainly didn't have access to it....I low-crawled over 500 yards in an hour's time to shoot mine at 230 yards....and never saw a fence the entire trip that I couldn't have hurdled over without breaking my stride (all-conference hurdler in high school).

By a "price tag of 1 million dollars", this is how that works:
On my hunt, I was allowed to shoot a "cull" deer of 140 points or less for a total cost of $2,500 (graciously paid for by my wealthy cousin). Anything over 140 points, I had to pay out more money...in tiers, i.e. from 140-150 points was an additional $x/pt...once you reached 200 points, the cost skyrocketed. The guides are very adept at judging the score and often times have many of these deer captured on game cameras over the year so they can accurately estimate many of them.
I saw one deer that was very nice, but would've cost me an additional $3,000. I decided to let him walk on home.
BTW, mine scored 139 points.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I don't have the fact, but I would bet this mega-deer was a breed from genetic controled stock. He would be captured on somebody's high fence ranch and now he is going to be put in a breeding pen and his semen is going to be sold for really big bucks. That is where the million dollar figure comes from.

I find this scientific breeding of deer for big racks to be close to disgusting, but as long as folks are willing to pay $10 to $20 thousand dollars to shoot in of his offspring, these things will continue.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Nice looking deer for sure,,, but I think Charles is right, its been made.
I wouldn't spend $2000 for a deer hunt, let alone 10 or 20 grand. Kinda baffles me. Not even sure how you could own a deer. Here theyre basically the property of the state, even if theyre on your land. You can get free landowner tags in many places but I dont think you can rope them & breed them. Just dont seem right.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

I dont eat horns.
If he's worth a lot, show me the backstrap. :D :D
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

ScottT,I know how you feel,I have passed on items only to find out later they were false. I always tried to make it known when I found out about it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
hornetguy
Levergunner

Post by hornetguy »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Try hunting them with stick and string. Then they all become trophies no matter what they score. :)
so.... you whip the deer with the string until it gives up?
"at that point, I had the right to remain silent... but I didn't have the ability" Ron White
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I can understand a BIG deer. But where I come from, you have to find him. If there is any question of maybe being fenced in that is not a wild deer om my opinion. I am lucky in that I hunt where my grandfather hunted on nonfenced completely wild area. I guess I can't understand a fenced in area because that wouldn't work here.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

JerryB wrote:ScottT,I know how you feel,I have passed on items only to find out later they were false. I always tried to make it known when I found out about it.
Hey, I'll be the first to admit it when I screw up. :oops:
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

gon2shoot wrote:I dont eat horns.
If he's worth a lot, show me the backstrap. :D :D
I hear you there, my friend!
I enjoy myself much more when hunting does than I do pretending to be a trophy hunter. The money and time that some folks spend to bag a trophy buck baffles me.