Looking for first lever action rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Looking for first lever action rifle

Post by MrV »

Newbie here. Looking for my first Lever Action Rifle Chambered in .357. I like the looks of the Puma & Rossi but really don't know much about the company and the quailty of their product. Any one care to share their opinion? Henry was my first choice but a Gunsmith suggested to steer clear of Henrys.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Looking for first lever action rifle

Post by Old Ironsights »

Nothing wrong with Henry's other than the Weight.

I have a Stainless 20" Rossi .357 imported by EMF. It is my #1 Gun.

Nothing wrong with Browning 1892's except the $$$$$$ required for them - but many say it's worth it.

Nothing wrong with Marlin 1894's in .357 - many CAS types prefer them. I am not a fan for aesthetic reasons.

I know nothing about Cimmaron or the other imports.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the forum. OI pretty much summed it up. Good luck in your hunt.
Old Law Dawg
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Welcome.
It is not the critic who counts
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

Thanks for the reply. Christmas money is burning a hole in my pocket but I don't want to run out and buy just anything. The Marlin is just to plain looking for me.
IF YOU DON'T STAND FOR SOMETHING, YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MrV wrote:Thanks for the reply. Christmas money is burning a hole in my pocket but I don't want to run out and buy just anything. The Marlin is just to plain looking for me.
Here's mine:

I'm kind of a nut when it comes to wanting Stainless in a "Go-To"/Working gun. Too much time around Salt Water/Humid areas I guess.

I've killed 4 deer with it, out to ranges as far as 110yds (about what I consider Max).

If you like the treatment, Nate Kiowa Jones did it for me along with his "race ready" tuneup when I bought it from him.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings & WELCOME MrV
I have 2 Rossi's (45L Colt). There is nothing wrong with either. One is an older Interarms mark & the other has no other markings. Both shoot straight and digest my reloads with no fuss.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

Like the Stainless! I live in South Jersey and humidity can be relentless in the summer months. Most of our handguns are stainless just for that reason. S&W 686+
Like the Rossi but really want what ever I decide on to have a Large Loop again it's all about the look.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

OI's rifle is a slick shooter. He has been kind enough to let me shoot it and it is a nice handling gun. He loads every thing in it from hot and heavy loads to full cases of Black Powder and the gun is a shooter with every thing I have seen him put threw it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I've been looking at the Henry .357 Lever Rifle. My local gun shop has a couple and they look to be well made -- very nice fit and finish and the action when cycled with the lever is very smoooooooth.

I haven't heard or read any negative writings on them.
ED
Yer never too old
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Nothin wrong with the Marlin and presafety models can be found if you look around.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

Sore Shoulder....The gunsmith said that if I was looking for a Lever Action to go with the Marlin. I would like the best of both worlds looks & function not sure if I am going to be able to cover both those bases.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MrV wrote:Sore Shoulder....The gunsmith said that if I was looking for a Lever Action to go with the Marlin. I would like the best of both worlds looks & function not sure if I am going to be able to cover both those bases.
There are (a few) Stainless Marlins in .357 IIRC... but they are hard to find.

You can get Large Loops for the Rossi if you want them (didn't Rossi sell some with LLs a while ago?)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

Old Ironsights wrote:
MrV wrote:Sore Shoulder....The gunsmith said that if I was looking for a Lever Action to go with the Marlin. I would like the best of both worlds looks & function not sure if I am going to be able to cover both those bases.
There are (a few) Stainless Marlins in .357 IIRC... but they are hard to find.

You can get Large Loops for the Rossi if you want them (didn't Rossi sell some with LLs a while ago?)
Both Rossi & Puma have 92's with LL's and I am leaning that way.
Even if I could find a Stainless Steel Marlin living in Jersey and trying to buy a used Rifle or Handgun is like pulling teeth with the paper work required. We need a permit for every hand gun we want to buy and to purchase a used firearm to have to go to a FFL Dealer. The state wants to keep track of were every firearm is in the state.
crystal river charli
Levergunner 1.0

Post by crystal river charli »

I have a Rossi in 357 I dearly love it. 16 inch in stainless.
Just ordered a 44mag 16 inch stainless to keep it company.

Charlie
I'm getting old. In my old age I find I long for the guns of my youth.
Revolvers and 1911's were the handguns of my youth.
I know them and I trust them.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OI has it right. I too have a ss rossi in .357 with a 20 inch barrel and its my favorite, go to rifle. Excellent choice.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

crystal river charli wrote:I have a Rossi in 357 I dearly love it. 16 inch in stainless.
Just ordered a 44mag 16 inch stainless to keep it company.

Charlie
Rossi in .357 & Stainless 16 in BBL. Can I get that with a Large Loop? What model Rossi is it? That would be just what I am looking for.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

mine was also done by NKJ with an action job and he added the large loop for me. Mine is two tone SS and I had the receiver sight added too. It functions with every load I have given it.

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

rjohns94 wrote:mine was also done by NKJ with an action job and he added the large loop for me. Mine is two tone SS and I had the receiver sight added too. It functions with every load I have given it.

That is one Beautiful Rifle, thanks for posting the photo!
Wanted to say thanks to everyone who replyed to my question today they were all helpful and informative.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

All the ones mentioned are good, and you'll "warm up" to any one you get, most likely.

If you want to scope the gun, go with a Marlin or Henry due to the flat top and pre-tapped holes.
If you want stainless steel, Rossis are easier to find that way except Marlin 44 Mags are fairly common.
If you like the octagonal barrel, all those three are available that way.
If you like the brass receiver, Henry is the one to get.
If you want a detachable box magazine but don't mind a non-traditional look, Rugers and Savages both fill the bill.
(Savages are available in 'bottleneck' rounds like .308; the Ruger is only available in .22 LR and .44 Mag).
If you like peep sights, the Marlins fit the Williams FP sight with no gunsmithing at all.
If you like tang sights, count on spending $120, but I think any of them accept a tang sight.
If you like the Marble's "Bullseye" sight, it just replaces the rear barrel sight but needs a shim on the Rossi.
(it is a really fast sight for action shooting or 'hogs' and so on)

I have Marlins and Rossis and Rugers only, except a Henry .22 (my son's), so can't speak with experience about real Winchesters, centerfire Henry's, or Savage's.

For me, it mostly boils down to "Scope = Marlin" and "Williams FP = Rossi", and I hunt with the Ruger mostly, because it is easier to load and unload when I cross roads or get in and out of a vehicle.

Eventually, you KNOW you'll want both anyway... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

All the ones mentioned are good, and you'll "warm up" to any one you get, most likely.

If you want to scope the gun, go with a Marlin or Henry due to the flat top and pre-tapped holes.
If you want stainless steel, Rossis are easier to find that way except Marlin 44 Mags are fairly common.
If you want a detachable box magazine but don't mind a non-traditional look, Rugers and Savages both fill the bill.
(Savages are available in 'bottleneck' rounds like .308; the Ruger is only available in .22 LR and .44 Mag).
If you like peep sights, the Marlins fit the Williams FP sight with no gunsmithing at all.
If you like tang sights, count on spending $120, but I think any of them accept a tang sight.
If you like the Marble's "Bullseye" sight, it just replaces the rear barrel sight but needs a shim on the Rossi.

I have Marlins and Rossis and Rugers only, except a Henry .22 (my son's), so can't speak with experience about real Winchesters, centerfire Henry's, or Savage's.

For me, it mostly boils down to "Scope = Marlin" and "Williams FP = Rossi", and I hunt with the Ruger mostly, because it is easier to load and unload when I cross roads or get in and out of a vehicle.

It WILL be the next rifle I purchase and the info you have provided is more than I expected and it really is appreciated. I have spent hours on line looking at different makes. You have broken it down to a concise format for me. Thanks! Looking to purchase it chambered in .357. I am looking to start reloading and both of my hand guns are .357. It just makes sense to me to have everything chambered in that caliber.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thats what I did. Rossi lever, smith revolver, bond derringer, all in .357. I don't regret it one bit.
Mike Johnson,

MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

rjohns94 wrote:Thats what I did. Rossi lever, smith revolver, bond derringer, all in .357. I don't regret it one bit.
Well than I feel I am on the right path. As I said I am a Newbie to this forum and guns. Purchased my first hand gun last year S&W 686+ and a week ago picked up a Colt King Cobra. Now is time for the Lever Action Rifle. Also interested in a Lever Action Shotgun but it seems the only one I came across is a Charles Daily and I have not read anything good about them. Maybe I should save that for another posting :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MrV wrote:

It WILL be the next rifle I purchase and the info you have provided is more than I expected and it really is appreciated. I have spent hours on line looking at different makes. You have broken it down to a concise format for me. Thanks! Looking to purchase it chambered in .357. I am looking to start reloading and both of my hand guns are .357. It just makes sense to me to have everything chambered in that caliber.
+ a bunch. Especially on the East Coast.

Your .357 rifle is a great "replacement" for an urban combat "EBR" but doesn't draw the
same attention.

My Rossi is paired with a Ruger SP101. One .357 for Personal Carry, one for Truck Carry... one set of ammo for both.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Having a ".357 'Family'" isn't a bad thing, at all... 8)

For "CCW" the Ruger SP101 is hard to beat.

For "Farm/Chore gun - is there anything sturdier than a Ruger Blackhawk...?

And for general 'duty' as a homestead and farm gun, what can out-do the Marlin 1894-css...?
(even as a 'tactical' gun..._

Finally, what in the continental US is there that a .35 Remington XLR Marlin can't really put down...?

Gotta love the ."35" caliber guns...! 8) 8) 8) 8)

If you want a "tactical" .357. try this... - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... c33a9b4ea7

"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

Doc nice family photo :D
Your article on the tactical conversion of the 1894 put Lever Action Rifles in a whole new light for me. Necessity is the mother of invention!
I was leaning towards the Rossi M92 but after seeing your Marlin 1894 I have climbed back on the fence.
I really am happy with my 35's and have always like a revolver, the family including my wife are all over the 9's. To each his own. The one problem I am having is finding ammo, it is almost impossible to find .35 ammo here in NJ and when you do it is expensive. So I am looking to start reloading but primers are scarce here also. NJ is not a friendly state to gun owners. They will not issuse any CC permits here, you can put an application in but 99.9 % of the time it is rejected. We are looking to relocate west in the near future looking at AZ, less crime & taxes and better weather (30 years in construction these bones are tired of the cold)
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I have to wave the flag here (Stars and Stripes) since I haven't seen it mentioned. The Henry and Marlin are made in the U.S.A. The Henry rifles don't do anything for me and I sure don't hear many people bragging about them on this forum. I own 2 1894 Marlins, one in 44 and one in 357 and love them both. I also love the 92 as designed by Mr. Browning. I may bite the bullet so to speak and buy a used Rossi (Puma) someday, but I still feel it's important to buy American when possible.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I would make my first lever gun a Marlin 336 in the classic 30-30 caliber. Possibly the stainless version.
It is a high quality firearm that will out last you, and everyone on this forum.
And the 30-30 will kill much better that a 357 at farther ranges. You cant go wrong with a Marlin. :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

win38-55 wrote:I would make my first lever gun a Marlin 336 in the classic 30-30 caliber. Possibly the stainless version. It is a high quality firearm that will out last you, and everyone on this forum.
And the 30-30 will kill much better that a 357 at farther ranges. You cant go wrong with a Marlin. :D
I agree with the 'stainless' in terms of maintenance, and perhaps even 'looks'.

I'd still side with the .357 Magnum to minimize the 'inventory and supply' issue, though. The performance under 100 yards is great on game, and would be fine for a 'home defense' gun, with the plus that it holds typically TEN rounds vs. SIX.

THEN, when I wanted to break the 'common ammo inventory' rule, I'd step all the way up to a .444 Marlin, .45-70, or .308, which will knock the snot out of whatever is way 'out there' and do it way better than a .30-30 or a .357 Mag.

Mostly I'm thinking this way because I'm anticipating severe ammunition supply issues due to the political, economic, legislative, and social climate we're in. The more guns that function on the fewer types of ammunition, the better.

MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

nemhed wrote:I have to wave the flag here (Stars and Stripes) since I haven't seen it mentioned. The Henry and Marlin are made in the U.S.A. The Henry rifles don't do anything for me and I sure don't hear many people bragging about them on this forum. I own 2 1894 Marlins, one in 44 and one in 357 and love them both. I also love the 92 as designed by Mr. Browning. I may bite the bullet so to speak and buy a used Rossi (Puma) someday, but I still feel it's important to buy American when possible.
Made in American is another determining factor and one that would close the deal. I was a union pipefitter for 30 years and try to buy as many things we can that are made in the U.S.A. Looks like the Marlin has moved to the top of the list. Henry is a pretty gun but I just can't seem to find anyone singing it's praise.
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

AJMD429 wrote:
win38-55 wrote:I would make my first lever gun a Marlin 336 in the classic 30-30 caliber. Possibly the stainless version. It is a high quality firearm that will out last you, and everyone on this forum.
I agree with the 'stainless' in terms of maintenance, and perhaps even 'looks'.

I'd still side with the .357 Magnum to minimize the 'inventory and supply' issue, though. The performance under 100 yards is great on game, and would be fine for a 'home defense' gun, with the plus that it holds typically TEN rounds vs. SIX.

THEN, when I wanted to break the 'common ammo inventory' rule, I'd step all the way up to a .444 Marlin, .45-70, or .308, which will knock the snot out of whatever is way 'out there' and do it way better than a .30-30 or a .357 Mag.

Mostly I'm thinking this way because I'm anticipating severe ammunition supply issues due to the political, economic, legislative, and social climate we're in. The more guns that function on the fewer types of ammunition, the better.
Doc, I have to agree with you on staying with the .35 for now. We are already seeing the supply issue here in NJ and the other issues you mentioned are not going away any time soon and I fear are only going to get worse. From the start I wanted our guns chambered the same, it just makes sense at this moment in time .
reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

win38-55 wrote:I would make my first lever gun a Marlin 336 in the classic 30-30 caliber. Possibly the stainless version.
It is a high quality firearm that will out last you, and everyone on this forum.
Thanks 38-55 I was going to suggest this myself.iFeel why put that much money in a 100 yd (Maybe) gun, buy the 336 in 30-30
GIT 'R done
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Don says here: (http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=23761) that there's a short run of New Winchester (not Browning) 1892s out. Still a Miroku it think tho.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MrV wrote:Doc, I have to agree with you on staying with the .35 for now. We are already seeing the supply issue here in NJ and the other issues you mentioned are not going away any time soon and I fear are only going to get worse. From the start I wanted our guns chambered the same, it just makes sense at this moment in time .
I guess the other option that at least shares CALIBER (bullets) would be a .35 Remington...

Or maybe a bolt gun in .358 BOS Magnum... :mrgreen:

papajohnabi
Levergunner

Post by papajohnabi »

I recently got a Marlin 1894cs and really enjoy it! No feeding problems so far and it's a lot of fun to shoot -- bought it for small game hunting, plinking, and home defense!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Patriotic has nothing to do with selecting goods that you are going to shell out your hard earned cash for.
If USA makes a 100% product for $500 and Brazil makes a 100% product for $500 dollars or even 500 and a bit then by all means be patriotic, hell I would be.
Fact of the matter is that the American product is slipping in the QC Dept and the Rossi isn't.
I own a Marlin .357 and if I had to make the decision again now that I made 2 years ago I would choose the Rossi.
Mind you, if you choose the Rossi today you need Nates help to get rid of that butt @ ugly safety thingy they put on top. ( little bit like a WART on the nose of a princess).
As for the large loop lever, unless you have a valid reason for wanting one, like wearing really big furry gloves, I would give it a miss. The large loop is strictly Hollywood, made famous by John Wayne in the movies, not the hunting fields.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 on the Rossi and all the comments about Nate. He can either set you up with one--with a little or all his fixin's, or another fine gent to buy from is Philip (Joel) Rezak, who sells the EMF (aka Hartford) 1892 variant. Rezak goes by Ultona or Ultoona (forget which) on GB, and his name in Gunsamerica. I've got plenty of the EMFs (pre safety) from him and he's a great guy.

EMF was the last hold-out on the stupid safety/wart (2006) and most of the them I've had are more nicely finished (wood, saddle rings, buckhorn vs cheap stamped sights, etc) than newer run-of-the-mill Rossis, including the Legacy Sports (LSI) Puma models (til they went Italian *confusingly with the same "Puma" name* in joining Cimarron and Taylors importing the nice (but pricier) Chiappa 1892s).
Like Legacy (LSI) already has, EMF seems to be terminating their Rossi relationship bit by bit--last I checked on the website, they still had *some* mention of limited available models. But the EMFs still abound online--with Rezak and a few others...grab 'em while you can.

Nate was an advisor/consultant on the side for EMF and their 1892, and is also advising Chiappa on their new '86s--and wouldn't be surprised helping them iron out their few glitches on their new(ish) 1892 too.

Good luck on your choice. Marlin's a good one too. I've noticed a "semi" large(r) loop on some models--I think designed for gloved hand??--but probably not the ones mentioned for this thread--dont know how interchangeable between their models.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

MrV wrote:Newbie here. Looking for my first Lever Action Rifle Chambered in .357. I like the looks of the Puma & Rossi but really don't know much about the company and the quailty of their product. Any one care to share their opinion? Henry was my first choice but a Gunsmith suggested to steer clear of Henrys.

You can't get just one. It's a ManLaw.

I vote for Rossi.

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/189 ... s-c123.htm
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

gundownunder wrote:Patriotic has nothing to do with selecting goods that you are going to shell out your hard earned cash for.
If USA makes a 100% product for $500 and Brazil makes a 100% product for $500 dollars or even 500 and a bit then by all means be patriotic, hell I would be.
Fact of the matter is that the American product is slipping in the QC Dept and the Rossi isn't.
I own a Marlin .357 and if I had to make the decision again now that I made 2 years ago I would choose the Rossi.
Mind you, if you choose the Rossi today you need Nates help to get rid of that butt @ ugly safety thingy they put on top. ( little bit like a WART on the nose of a princess).
As for the large loop lever, unless you have a valid reason for wanting one, like wearing really big furry gloves, I would give it a miss. The large loop is strictly Hollywood, made famous by John Wayne in the movies, not the hunting fields.
Well now you have me howling with the "BIG FURRY GLOVES", and you are right it is a Hollowood thing. No valid reason for wanting the LLL maybe it's about taking me back to when I was a kid and watching TV and not thinking about the fuctional aspect.This is one reason when I found this fourm I registered, great info and input. What better way to gather info than to talk to people who own & use this rifle regardless of what make it is.
MrV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MrV »

Nate C. wrote:
MrV wrote:Newbie here. Looking for my first Lever Action Rifle Chambered in .357. I like the looks of the Puma & Rossi but really don't know much about the company and the quailty of their product. Any one care to share their opinion? Henry was my first choice but a Gunsmith suggested to steer clear of Henrys.

You can't get just one. It's a ManLaw.

I vote for Rossi.

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/189 ... s-c123.htm
I was wondering how long it would take before someone would call "ManLaw".LOL! And I agree BUT I need to get the first one. Thanks for the link.