OT - Cougar kills dog in Gypsum, CO

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Cougar kills dog in Gypsum, CO

Post by don Tomás »

Stupid people and poor Bubba pays the price for their stupidity...

“I felt hopeless when I couldn't find any bullets, utterly hopeless,” she said. “And I still feel hopeless.”
Lady, I would say "useless".

Cougar kills dog in Gypsum
(link)
GYPSUM, Colorado — Tara Haymond woke up at 2 a.m. Sunday to the sound of Bubba, her 150-pound Great Pyrenees dog, crying.

“I thought I better tell him to be quiet so he wouldn't bother the neighbor,” she said.

She opened the sliding door next to the bed and discovered a mountain lion on top of Bubba.

“There is nothing in anybody that would prepare them to find that,” she said.

The 47-year-old grabbed a shotgun but couldn't find ammunition, so she started hitting the cougar with the gun.

“The cat didn't even flinch,” she said. “Then I realized the cat might hurt me so I stopped. I guess I might be lucky in that way.”

Her husband was home and she also called a neighbor and Eagle County Sheriff's deputies to the scene, which is near the Sky Legend neighborhood at Gypsum's Cotton Ranch development.

The cougar was still on the dog when they arrived and didn't move until the sheriff fired on it several times, Haymond said.

Bubba was still suffering, however, so the sheriff put him down as well at the owners' request.

The deputy was unavailable for comment.

According to John Grove with the Colorado Division of Wildlife, the mountain lion was young — about nine months to a year old — and it was very skinny. Probably it was sick or starving or both, which could result in such atypical behavior as attacking an animal in a populated area. Since this was an anomaly, residents shouldn't be overly worried about any more “aggressive” animals in the area, Grove said.

The town of Gypsum is encouraging residents to be alert for future mountain lion encounters.

The large cats are considered to be nocturnal animals, so it is ideal for dogs, house cats and other domestic animals to be brought inside from dusk until dawn. Additionally, small children should not be left alone outside after dark and should not be left to play outside in more remote areas at any time.

Though the number of mountain lion/human interactions has increased in recent years, the number of fatal attacks on humans remains very small. There have been less than two dozen fatal attacks in the last 100 years. Most of the attacks were by young lions, forced to hunt on their own. Young mountain lions may key in on easy prey, such as pets and small children. They can be attracted to pet food and trash left outside, especially in cold temperatures.

Haymond feels that residents in her area should've been more vigilant about alerting each other to possible danger.

“A little advance notice could've prevented this,” she said. “I believe it's really important that neighbors tell each other when they see a cougar in their driveway. People had known the cat was around and didn't say anything. There are kids in the area. Fortunately this [victim] was a four-legged kid and not a two-legged one. If I had known I might've had a round in my shotgun.”

Haymond is also appreciative of the neighborhood's show of love for her dog, which she described as sweet and shy.

“Everyone — the whole neighborhood — happened to show up at just the right time and we buried him,” she said.

Besides Bubba, Haymond and her husband also have three dogs and three cats, but the third cat has been missing for a few days.

Haymond expressed despair.

“I felt hopeless when I couldn't find any bullets, utterly hopeless,” she said. “And I still feel hopeless.”
Last edited by don Tomás on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Cougar kills dog in Gypsum, CO

Post by Buck Elliott »

"Anomaly," "atypical...?" Not hardly... Always expect the unexpected. If you live in wild country, you have to be on guard at all times. Just how it goes, folks.

Couldn't find ammunition...? How dumb can you get?

Have to feel sorry for the dog. It paid the price for human failings.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I agree with Buck shame dog paid the price for owners not being prepared.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Gee, if only I had expected an emergency, I might have been prepared.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Buck Elliott wrote:"Anomaly," "atypical...?" Not hardly... Always expect the unexpected. If you live in wild country, you have to be on guard at all times. Just how it goes, folks.

Couldn't find ammunition...? How dumb can you get?

Have to feel sorry for the dog. It paid the price for human failings.
Except for the dog sentiments, I thought the same things while reading this article. I would add though, always expect the unexpected, wild county or not. Imagine if that had been a two legged predator. No one would be lamenting the loss of the dog, they'd be reading the statistics of the owner.

It's all wild country. "Yo, saddle up, lock n load." (Sgt. Barnes).
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

How do you not have ammo handy?
Paternal negligence?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ahhhh, that's the life. Running in Condition White. Totally oblivious to anything. Heads firmly planted up their @$$es.

In my opinion idiots that have guns and no ammo handy should be punished by public humiliation.
What do they call those things they put the people in in the 1400-1500s where they'd have their heads and hands locked in a big wooden thing and the rest of them stuck out the back side. Right out in public for ridicule. That's what I think needs to be done. With the rotting body of their dog right under their noses.

Poor dog.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Joe,
Don't hold anything back, tell us how you really feel :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sounds like the husband is a bute too! Suppose they were out of Bleach/ or oven cleaner also!

My Dog?? Even with no gun/ a large glass of pure chlorine Bleach and a Big Knife will do.

If she got close enough to hit him with the gun,a large glass of pure bleach in the eyes/face would do!

That's where the large pitch/hay forks are handy hanging on porch!
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

If cougars dislike water as much as my house cat, even a garden hose would have been a formidable weapon. If you turn the water spigot on while holding this cat, you'll come away a bloody mess.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good grief!
The poor dog was crying (living until the cops got there?????)

Let's see????????? Don't like the bleach??????????
How about a BIG meat slicing knife taped to end of a broom handle.(bust off broom end)
walk up and shove that behind the front shoulder?????????????
Simply amazing! :roll:
I suppose no broom/knife/duct tape either?

Don't worry darling/cops will soon be here just turn up the TV??????????????? WT????
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Ever had a hunters safety course?
"Guns should be kept under lock and key. Never loaded. Ammunition should be kept elsewhere also under lock and key"
Personally though, I keep a loaded .357 mag in the top of my closet. Maybe I should keep some in the rifle too, stinking loading spring is a bit too stiff.

We've been having predator issues here too lately. Hawks. Eating my chickens and worried they going to eat my little dogs. $10,000 fine if I kill one but if it is on my dog it is getting a .22 subsonic and a quick shallow grave.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

For the quick stuff----I use a Digital finger Pad pistol safe with 4 loaded handguns inside.
.32 auto,9mm,40 S&W,44Mag
Takes about 3 seconds to open!
Since I love my Dogs so ------That Cat would have ate a 44Mag in the head!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Just another example of how we've got too many people.. My buddy in Michigan blames the situation on Seat Belts... save too many lives..now we're butt deep in stupid people.. and all these stupid people breed.... just a mess!!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

J Miller wrote:Ahhhh, that's the life. Running in Condition White. Totally oblivious to anything. Heads firmly planted up their @$$es.

In my opinion idiots that have guns and no ammo handy should be punished by public humiliation.
What do they call those things they put the people in in the 1400-1500s where they'd have their heads and hands locked in a big wooden thing and the rest of them stuck out the back side. Right out in public for ridicule. That's what I think needs to be done. With the rotting body of their dog right under their noses.

Poor dog.

Joe
I couldn't agree more...
Les Staley wrote:Just another example of how we've got too many people.. My buddy in Michigan blames the situation on Seat Belts... save too many lives..now we're butt deep in stupid people.. and all these stupid people breed.... just a mess!!
Pard...my sentiments exactly...I'll add that they vote too. Witness our current (illegal) administration. I think Joe has the right idea to stop this stuff. Poor dog...owned by a moron.

LB
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I guess thats why people think I am a looney when they come over to visit and see in every corner and by the doors of my house is a loaded firearm. You never know which direction an "emergency" can come from. The other reason is that if a crook came around when I aint there, it should give them at least an hour to find them all.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Les Staley wrote:Just another example of how we've got too many people.. My buddy in Michigan blames the situation on Seat Belts... save too many lives..now we're butt deep in stupid people.. and all these stupid people breed.... just a mess!!

Your buddy in Michigan is right. The safer our world is to live in, the less enjoyable it is to live in it. To many breeding morons.

I don't have a loaded gun in every corner of the house ( don't have enough guns for that ) but I have one close in case I should have need of it.

Hunter safety courses have no business telling folks how to store their guns in their homes.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

All I could think of, when reading that she grabbed a shotgun, was that she was probably going to wound the cat and kill the dog with it. :lol: If she didn't know where the "bullets" for the shotgun were, did she know how to load and aim it?

No, it was easier on all involved to let the nice deputy put the dog out of his misery. (sarcasm....)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION... ! ! !"
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

J Miller wrote:...What do they call those things they put the people in in the 1400-1500s...
Those were "the stocks", Joe. They would be just the ticket today for current members of Congress. :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Man that's sad. And disgusting!

Oly

P.S. My 11 year old just read the story and said, "Too bad they didn't run out to video it. That way the sheriff would have found them dead with a video record of their stupidity." :D
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I feel sorry for the dog. My wife would have stepped out with her .30-30 and then come in to tell me that I needed to skin a mountain lion and clean up a mess. She probably would have got the shovel herself.

Several months ago, a friends horse was attacked by a mountain lion within the city limits of one of the Dallas suburbs, Ferris, TX. The horse lived because the friend came out with a loaded gun and shot it. The cat was not killed and it ran off. The Ferris police waited so long to finish and to notify the State Dept. of Parks and Wildlife that the cat got clean away. Or at least that is the way the friend remembers it. She was pretty shook up.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Yup!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

These people breed more people who see things the same way they do. Our education system will make it worse, and our current government (and the media) will make sure of it.

I know that on my property that cat would have been full of Chesapeake punctures, followed by a .41 magnum "GOODNIGHT".

One more thing; had it been my daughter, that cat would have gotten blasted. Had it been my wife... well, that one's up in the air. As accepting as she is of firearms, hunting etc., she personally has no interest and so might not immediately come up with the right answer to "Now, just where is that loaded GP100?".
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bogie35 wrote:
J Miller wrote:...What do they call those things they put the people in in the 1400-1500s...
Those were "the stocks", Joe. They would be just the ticket today for current members of Congress. :D

bogie
+1! Oh how I'd love to see Pelosi, Reid, and Obama in stocks for a month - right before deporting them! :twisted:

As much as I hate the heavy hand of government, here is a good example of someone too stupid to be trusted with legal firearms ownership. For that matter, they should have had their other pets removed - for their own safety - as well! :roll:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bogie35 wrote:

bogie
+1! Oh how I'd love to see Pelosi, Reid, and Obama in stocks for a month - right before deporting them! :twisted:

As much as I hate the heavy hand of government, here is a good example of someone too stupid to be trusted with legal firearms ownership. For that matter, they should have had their other pets removed - for their own safety - as well! :roll: