Here's a new years present for ya'll

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Here's a new years present for ya'll

Post by thornblom »

I have an 1897 vintage 1894 Winchester, 26" octagon barrel, straight grip, express sights, full length magazine tube, crescent butt plate and special order wood. This rifle is not the present. It is the load I shoot in it.

Case: Winchester .30-30 match prepped
Primer: CCI-Br2
Powder: 26 grains of IMR-4895
Bullet: Oregon Trail True Shot 170 grain .309" diameter RNFP/GC
Seated to crimp groove with medium crimp.

When I do my part, this old rifle will shoot 3 shot clover leafs at 100 yards.
Velocity is between 1600 and 1700 ft/sec. Mild and accurate load.

You are welcome.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Here's a new years present for ya'll

Post by Modoc ED »

What do you do to the case to "Match Prep" it?
ED
Yer never too old
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

Just full length size, trim all cases to the minimum length, chamfer case mouths inside and out, deburr flash hole, uniform primer pockets. Make sure all cases are from the same lot number and the same head stamp. I have been using the rcbs cowboy dies as they are set up for loading cast bullets. Each powder charge is individually weighed so that they are all the same. Wipe the lube off the bottom of the gas checks so that it doesn't contaminate the powder. You could weigh and segregate the bullets but that might wind up just being busy work. The idea is to try to make each loaded round just like the one before it and the one after it. It also helps your groups to single load the cartridges into the chamber. Sometimes loading them into the magazine tube and cycling them into the chamber can induce bullet run out which is detrimental to accuracy.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

how about some pics of that beauty?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

I have been wanting a digital camera for awhile. Santa couldn't afford one this year so I will just have to wait. Sorry.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom