Winchester 1886 bolt mounted peep sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 1886 bolt mounted peep sight

Post by Palmtreee »

I would like to install one on a USRA Winchester in 45-70 instead of lyman or marbles receiver sight. Does anyone know if re-production is currently being made or a good place to find one?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1886 bolt mounted peep sight

Post by 86er »

Turnbull has them. They charge $575 installed. You have to machine the bolt to adapt it.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Thanks for the reply! Great news.
Regards
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have a 71 bolt with 98A sight and I'd like to get my Browning 1886 bolt milled to accept it. If that's too expensive, I'll sell the 71 bolt and sight to someone who can use it. I tried to adapt the 71 bolt to an 1886, but it was a no-go.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Does anyone know if re-production is currently being made ]

Montana Vintage Arms makes/markets them, even though they're no longer on their website.

AFAIK, the sight alone was either $250 or $350, but I can't remember if they'll machine the bolt for you.

IIRC, another levergunner, RANISbet, has reverse-engineered M1886/86/71 type bolt peeps, and has the plans available to those who wanted to make one.

Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Thank you Pete44RU, I called Turnbull and they do not sell one or make one. So I will give MVA a call today.
Gotta have a peep sight!