Minimum battery?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Minimum battery?

Post by 2X22 »

Old Savage wrote:Pistols, rifles, shotguns for what you DO?
For what *I* do?

I pack a single action every day hiking in the hills around the house. My 1959 4 3/4" .44 Ruger Flattop. I use 9grs of Unique and a 255gr SWC. Gotta have this one.

Much of the time I also pack with me a 24" .44 Marlin Cowboy that I use the same ammo in. If the rifle is loaded with 12 rounds, 5 in my thumb buster and another 15 on my belt is enough for everything but the most aggressive of rocks :mrgreen: Since I pack it, target shoot with it, hunt with it, I gotta have it in my minimum.

I hunt elk mostly with a 24" .44 Cowboy with a 2-7X Leupold. I use heavy loads, 250's to 270's at 1750-1800fps for this one, and have to have it in my minimum battery.

I'm going with a 4th one just because I do so much grouse and upland game hunting over my GWP's. I also use it exclusively for trap and skeet shooting and is one of only 2 shotguns I own. A 28" Ruger RedLabel 20 gauge that I bought 30 years ago.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

My picks for a minimum battery are
.22 rifle
.44 Marlin 1894SS
12 gauge
.38 SPL M10 Heavy barrel

If I had to slim this down even more then the 12GA and .44 would go. I could easily get by with the other 3 if that were the case. I sure would miss my little S&W M60 though. I was thinking about adding my Ruger MKII but I don't shoot that very much as it is.

2x22 what is your usual elk load for your .44 rifle?, and how do those bullets usually hold up after impacting a big bodied elk?
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

Well, if I had to thin things down to a minimum battery I guess it would be something like this:

1911 .45......defense / ccw
Colt 5 1/2" .44 special..........general woods bumming
Ruger Single-Six .22.......hunting / plinking fun
Winchester '94 Trapper .44 mag.....hunting / defense
Browning '86 Carbine .45-70.......hunting / defense
Winchester '97 12 gauge......hunting / defense
Winchester 9422 .......hunting / plinking fun

Now.....Don't let my wife see this list............
:lol:
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

336A wrote:2x22 what is your usual elk load for your .44 rifle?, and how do those bullets usually hold up after impacting a big bodied elk?
I use a 260gr RCBS cast bullet (80/20 WW's+Lead) and 23grs of W296 with a very tight crimp. It gives me right around 1800fps and about 2 1/2" at 100 yards for 5 shots.

Don't know how they hold up after impact as I've never had one stay in the elk to recover! :lol: I have recovered a few gas checks though.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Marlin 39A 22lr with a few extra parts
Stevens 311 12 Gauge Double for camp/quarters
Winchester 356 Win. with a few extra parts
Ruger original Flat Top in 44 Mag.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

C. Cash,

As I was reading over this thread again, my quick response was a .22lr rifle, a centerbore rifle, a shotgun and a pistol. Then I got to your thread and there you go, that was your response. As I think about it all again, I guess my min now would be a CCW pistol, A shotgun and my 92 .357. The CCW would be my model 60 in .357 and the shotgun would be a 12 bore, though I'm not sure which one, probably my bird gun. With those, I could do all the hunting that I currently do and have the self protection role done with. Now, I will go back and see what I said originally. Funny how these things change.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pistol Mike
Levergunner

Post by Pistol Mike »

Pathfinder09 wrote: My minimum battery would be a good rifle and good pisotol.
I don't know if it was Karamojo Bell that said that he wouldn't be afraid of walking across Africa with a big bore revolver and a .22LR rifle.
So i must agree with both Pathfinder and Karamojo one good rifle and one good pistol is all you need.

Regards Mike
Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreamin'.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Minimum battery for what I do:
Rock River Arms LAR-15 223
Les Baer Premier II 45 ACP

Minimum battery for walking the woods:
Winchester '86 45-90
Colt SAA 45 Colt or FA 83 454 Casull (dependant upon the woods I'm walking)

Minimum battery for home:
Ruger single six 22 LR
Winchester 9422 22 LR
Rem. 700 PSS 308 WCF
Rock River Arms LAR-15 223
Colt SAA 45 colt or FA 83 454 Casull
Les Baer Premier II 45 ACP
Stoeger coach gun 12 ga. or one of two SXS's in 12 ga.
Old Law Dawg
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

rjohns94 wrote:C. Cash,

As I was reading over this thread again, my quick response was a .22lr rifle, a centerbore rifle, a shotgun and a pistol. Then I got to your thread and there you go, that was your response. As I think about it all again, I guess my min now would be a CCW pistol, A shotgun and my 92 .357. The CCW would be my model 60 in .357 and the shotgun would be a 12 bore, though I'm not sure which one, probably my bird gun. With those, I could do all the hunting that I currently do and have the self protection role done with. Now, I will go back and see what I said originally. Funny how these things change.
Twisted....er, I mean great, minds think alike! :mrgreen: Like alot of folks here, I knew folks that had been through a total system meltdown during the Depression/Dust Bowl. With a 22 or shotgun, they ate! No one pestered them too much either. Still makes alot of sense today. I like the idea of the takedown for backpack carry with the 22. Even the 94 Win. you can take the buttstock off and you can stuff it into a small ruck. The 44 Flat Top carries like a smaller single six, yet would be great for emergencies.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Due to financial difficulties :oops: I have had to sell four of my guns. I'm left with just three, A 16Ga Hammergun, Winchester 94 30/30 and my .22 Winchester 9422.
I also have a Gaugemate in 16/410 which works great.
The UK government say I'm not to be trusted with a handgun :roll: , so I reckon I can get by with what I have.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Minimum battery?]

At my age, I fear it's going to have to be a hearing aid battery. :( :roll: ;)

OK357
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OK357 »

I'm at my minimum, a Rossi .357 lever and a knife.
QuarterChoke
Levergunner

Post by QuarterChoke »

Why in the world would anyone want a "minimum battery?" This whole forum is a celebration of excess, no apologies necessary. Nearly 70 years ago my dad called me a gun nut. Guilty as charged! :D