Tang Sight on new 1892.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EriCal
Levergunner

Tang Sight on new 1892.

Post by EriCal »

I have one of the new Winchester 1892 Rifles and would like to add a tang sight. The rifle has a safety on the tang so how do I mount a tang sight there?? Do I remove the button and disable the safety??? Or??

Tnx, Eric
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tang Sight on new 1892.

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire, Eric !

If you intend to use a vintage tang sight, or an "off brand" like the Taurus tanger, you're on your own; but if you intend to install a new tang sight on your equally new rifle, you might want to consider the more expensive Marble's over the Lyman #2, since Marble's already makes sub-bases for some of their soghts - mostly for Win Mod 86's and Marlins (serial numbers there) - that allow for the top tang safeties/serial stampings.

If you're interested, you could call Marble's customer service, to find out exactly what sight base you should order.

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Marbles makes their Tang sights with different bases to match the various lengths, styles & such for different Rifle tangs.
Midway has the list data, as well as Brownells.
They list the original 92, B-92 and new Winchester.

I have both of my 92's at my Gunsmith's for the installation of tang sights. I like the Marbles because of the windage adjustment. Lyman only has elevation.
I will also replace the existing rear sight with a Marbles hinged leaf sight.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

What Pete and Lefty said. I'd go Marbles. I have one on my tang safety '86.
Old Law Dawg
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

For aw few more $ ya can get aw Shaver tang, much better than aw marbles. he can make aw spacer to raise it...... go to lee shaver.com