hard cast bullets for a 30-30 question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
donniedee
Levergunner

hard cast bullets for a 30-30 question

Post by donniedee »

what kinds/brands of hard cast are you guys using? where are you buying them from? fav loads? looking to get into reloading mild 30-30 loads for 100yrd shooting deer thanks
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: hard cast bullets for a 30-30 question

Post by Terry Murbach »

WE MAKE 'EM OURSELVES.
"MILD 30-30 LOADS" ARE NOT WHAT YOU SHOULD BE THINKING OF SHOOTING DEER WITH EITHER.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hi donniedee, I am not a real fan of "hardcast" lead bullets myself. They don't always work very well (without leading). First I am a caster so I don't buy them but the hardest I use is straight wheel weights with a small amount of tin added. Depending on the gun I cut the wheel weights with a little pure lead to soften the alloy up a bit. The biggest thing you need to know is bore size in your gun, this helps make the decisions easier. I have dealt with Montana bullet works and he is a good guy, get your bore size and then go talk to Dave@montana bulletworks and he'll set you straight. Good luck. Tom
Do you know how to slug a bore? go to you tube and there is a very good video of it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Lots of variables reloading & shooting cast bullets.
I would suggest you buy and read the "Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook".
You may decide to stick with jacketed bullets. :o
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

in a win 94 extra hard bullets are not needed..or wanted :D .keep the BHN round 14-15 use a quality lube and the bullet sized to your barrel.you can push them as fast a jacketed bullet if you want.just work up your loads and find a sweet spot.AA5744 is a great powder in the 30/30 with cast loads.

marlins are a different story with those MG barrels they need to be FAT to be accurate and the harder the better.it took some work to get mine to shoot worth a hoot.

pete
DAV life member.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Donnie...listen real good to Pete...he's right on. Fitting cast boolits to bore size is a chancy endeavor. Better to cast them hard & learn to harden them thru water dropping or the oven method. Fit them to the chamber, regardless of the gun.

Most 30-30's like a boolit about .310 in diameter & don't forget to order a Lyman 'M' die for the case neck expansion & flaring. You'll be set to make anything you need for any purpose.

Best to you & yours...

LB
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I've always cast mine with wheelweight mixed with about 10 percent pure lead. I use a Hornaday gascheck. I don't have a chrony, so I've never checked velocity for sure, but if I believe the load data, I'm loading them to about 1900 fps. I've done this since the 1970's and have yet to experience a leading problem. I use the same mixture for 45-70 as well as 44 magnum--both with gascheck bullets and out of leverguns. These actually have been chronied at a local gunshop that has a shooting range. Those loads clocked right around 1950 fps. Again, no leading problems. I don't see any reason to try to push these any faster since those loads all are accurate and shouldn't bounce off any game found in my hunting areas. I don't think that slower lead bullets (1200 fps and up) would bounce off any game around here either. The main thing would be shot placement and accuracy--and I think that this would hold true for any firearm used in a hunting situation.