OT: How do I tighten a snap?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: How do I tighten a snap?

Post by J Miller »

I have a thumb break holster that has a loose fitting snap. When the pistol is in the holster the strap tilts the snap a bit and then it will pop open with the least pressure. Matter of fact I can put the gun in, snap it, and then pull the gun out with little effort, the snap just won't hold.

How do I tighten the snap? I'd rather not try to replace it I can get away with it. Too much chance of me buggering up the leather.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: How do I tighten a snap?

Post by alnitak »

Here are two ideas:

"If they are metal snaps, YES, you can tighten them! Put the garment on a hard surface, like the floor (tile or the like) with the protruding part of the snap facing up. Gently tap it with a hammer. You'll flatten the tip somewhat, which will also flare it out a little and it will hold better."

"...take some pliers and gently (so as to not mishape) push the edges of the female end of the snap to tighten it"
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Yup....tiny little taps....if you go too far, yer SOL. (short on luck, for the delicate)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey Joe - They are very simple to replace. They are essentially a rivet. Get a snap kit from your local leather/fabric store. The snaps come in various flavors and you can get older looking ones or shiny nickle/brass. Take about an 1/8th inch drill and drill out the little "rolled" area in the center of the snap. There is a point when the two pieces will come apart. Put two new pieces in the same hole and use the "punch and socket" that came with the kit to roll the center piece over again. Doesn't take much pounding and I "wobble" the punch around initially to get a good roll started. It's a snap!! Hope this helps. Wind
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

If the snap itself is loose on the leather, look in the center and you will see the rivet-like rim that can be tightened with a flat punch. To prevent marring the rounded, out-side face of the snap, make a seat for it by striking the end-grain of a piece of hard wood with a ball-peen hammer .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

765x53 wrote:If the snap itself is loose on the leather, look in the center and you will see the rivet-like rim that can be tightened with a flat punch. To prevent marring the rounded, out-side face of the snap, make a seat for it by striking the end-grain of a piece of hard wood with a ball-peen hammer .
No the snap, both sides, is good and tight in the leather. It's just that it won't stay snapped.

Wind,
I'd really like to avoid replacing the snap if I can. This holster is really nice and I don't want to mess it up.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Wind wrote:Hey Joe It's a snap!!
:lol: :lol: hah :lol: :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wind is right, though - they are just 'rivets' and we got a kit from Tandy Leather years ago that we still use on occasion. Very inexpensive if I recall.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tried this on a leather jacket with the hammer the protrusion down method. Did it judiciously in about 8 steps and indeed it did the trick. :)
Last edited by Old Savage on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Joe you got some good advise on this, poor folks have poor ways, but they do get the job done. Just do like they say a little at a time till you get what you want.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

If you rather not do it yourself, shoe repair shops will replace the snap for very little money. I had the snap on my Buck sheath replaced and a belt seam retied all for $7.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Yeah, a few taps should do it. In order to ensure uniformity, tapping on the male end with a rounded punch (say, the end of a little CO2 cartridge) might work well.