How to remove Lyman 56 from Win 94?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TooTech
Levergunner

How to remove Lyman 56 from Win 94?

Post by TooTech »

I recently acquired an nice old Winchester 94 that has a Lyman 56 receiver sight mounted. The sight and the area of the receiver around the base are a bit grungy, and I'd like to remove the sight and give everything a thorough cleaning.

Does anyone know how I remove the sight elevation staff from the sight base so that I can get at the screws that hold the base to the receiver?

Thanks!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

TooTech,

You'll have to loosen and remove the locking knob and probably the screw in the center of it, that goes through the left (vertical) side of the aperture bar, into the sight base. Then using the elevation knob raise the elevation till the aperture bar is free.

Under that you'll see two small screws. Remove them and the sight base will come off the receiver.

Be very careful, they maybe LocTited or otherwise grown on there.

Joe
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think if you loosen the locking knob on the elevation, then push it in, the upright can simply be pulled out the top.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

After removing that old junker sight just send it to me and I'll send you two nice filler screws for the holes. :wink:
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Listen to J Miller
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

Thanks to all who responded - especially those kind souls who were willing to "adopt" this poor Lyman.

Loosening the locking knob and then elevating the staff until the base screws were accessible did the trick.

I got the oil-turned-varnish cleaned off the receiver and the sight, gave everything a squirt of Rem-Oil, and got everything reinstalled with a drop of Lock-tite on the base screws.

Ready to go hunting!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

One last caution...

Post by John in MS »

Just be careful not to over-tighten the locking screw in the center of the knob on the left side of the sight. If you over-do it (significantly) it can cause noticeable headaches until you get it straightened out... Don't ask me how I know this... Just snug is good, not even approaching "gorilla" tight -- but you do have to have it tight enough to make sure it can't get lost, as it would be very hard to locate a replacement.
Hope this helps,

John