Kansas deer hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Kansas deer hunt

Post by Warhawk »

Just home from a Kansas deer hunt. I wanted to use a levergun this year, THe Marlin 44 with the red dot sight was tempting, but the stainless guide gun got the nod.

Using a 45/70 meant that I wasn't going to be sitting on big open fields where I might see deer a long way off. Instead I picked the thickest cover on the property.

Season opened yesterday, I hadn't hunted here in 5 years, but hunted here every year of the 15 or so seasons before that. My spot that I picked didn't look so hot in the daylight. It was so grown up that I couldn't see more than 30-40 feet in any direction. Then I spooked three deer while looking for a better spot.

I found one, I set up on one of the main funnels into the thicket. I had a shooting lane about 20 yards wide, some fairly open brush directly across from me, and trail behind me led into a big pasture. I made myself a kind of a ground blind inside a cedar tree, got setup with a comfortable chair and waited.

I saw two does last night, maybe the same one twice, I let them walk hoping a buck would be trailing behind. Went back this morning and got settled about 6:45 (shooting time was 7:18). About 7:30 a coyote came by, spotted me in all my blaze orange glory and lit the afterburners to get out of there. He came in from the one direction that had a clear view of my in my little "blind". About 8:00 I saw some movement through the heavy brush about 100 yards out, I could see that it was a deer, but couldn't see any horns. I watched that spot for a long time and decided that the deer had gone on, just then I saw more movement. This time it passed through a small opening and I could see horns, couldn't tell how big but I got ready to shoot.

When I finally got a good look, I could see that it was a nice buck, but I still didn't have a good look, and not much time either before he would get out of sight. There was still brush between us, but I picked out the lightest of it and when he passed behind it, I put the crosshairs on the point of his shoulder and fired. He made a big jump with a front leg swinging, and I heard a big crash off to my left.

The brush turned out to be just a few feet in front of him, and I don't think I hit any of it anyway. I looked around for blood but never found a drop. So I decided to see if that crash I heard was him going down. It was, I found him about 30 yards into the thicket, where he had crashed into a thorn bush.

I hope to have a few more pics later, but here he is in the truck.

The ammo was the Hornady FTX load. The remains of the bullet were under the hide on the off side. I haven't weighed it yet, but it certainly doesn't weigh anywhere near 350 grains. It did the job on his lungs though, they were literally pulp. Nothing recognizable of his lungs at all.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Kansas deer hunt

Post by TedH »

Nice deer, congratulations.

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the remains of the bullet, or at least how much it weighs.
NRA Life Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Good shooting Jim and nice buck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Congratulations...very nice buck!
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I just realized that you can see the entrance wound in that first pic. You can just about stick your thumb in it!

I've got quite a bit of the Hornady ammo left, I'll use it on deer but I don't think it'll be in the gun on a hog hunt.

I will get the bullet weighed and photographed ASAP.

Joe, That .300 Mag I got from you now belongs to a very grateful young Air Force Lieutenant in Oklahoma. I guess technically it wasn't a donation to the war effort, but he sure likes it, and now he has a deer rifle <G>.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice buck. Congratulations!
Old Law Dawg
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Good Job on the Deer and the Write Up! Looking forward to hearing more on the Hornady Performance. Sounds like it did a good job but I tend to prefer complete penetration with no slug to recover. Makes me more content to use the Corelokts or PSP bullets without a premium price!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

horsesoldier03 wrote:Good Job on the Deer and the Write Up! Looking forward to hearing more on the Hornady Performance. Sounds like it did a good job but I tend to prefer complete penetration with no slug to recover. Makes me more content to use the Corelokts or PSP bullets without a premium price!
I do too, I strongly prefer two holes to let the air and blood out! I'm sure glad that he piled up as quickly as he did, since there was no blood trail whatsoever.

I am slowly converting my revolver ammo, and levergun ammo to cast bullets (except for 30-30) but I have a bunch of jacketed ammo to use up, what a problem to have! :lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice, congrats!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Warhawk wrote:
horsesoldier03 wrote:Good Job on the Deer and the Write Up! Looking forward to hearing more on the Hornady Performance. Sounds like it did a good job but I tend to prefer complete penetration with no slug to recover. Makes me more content to use the Corelokts or PSP bullets without a premium price!
I do too, I strongly prefer two holes to let the air and blood out! I'm sure glad that he piled up as quickly as he did, since there was no blood trail whatsoever.

I am slowly converting my revolver ammo, and levergun ammo to cast bullets (except for 30-30) but I have a bunch of jacketed ammo to use up, what a problem to have! :lol:

I just started this year using cast bullets for my .44 mag. A little more lead left in the barrel than I prefer but doesnt affect my accuarcy much even when shooting off the bench for 30-40 rds. Sure wish I had your problem with all them jacketed bullets! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Horse Soldier, what part of Kansas? This hunt was near Coffeyville, and I lived in the Wichita area (Derby and Douglass) for many years.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Nice deer and hunt.

I, too would like to see the results/photos of the FTX remains. I've yet to recover a .458 FTX. They keep going through everything. I've been curious as to how they unfold.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Warhawk wrote:Horse Soldier, what part of Kansas? This hunt was near Coffeyville, and I lived in the Wichita area (Derby and Douglass) for many years.
I am near Ft Riley. I do have relatives in Coffeyville and hunt both Montgomery and Labette Co. on occasion. I am originally from Texas not to far from Azle. Family lives in Scurry just outside of Kaufman.
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

First off congratulations on a very nice buck! Just wanted to comment on the Marlin Guide Rifle for hunting deer. I have shot five now with mine including a buck this year using the Hornady 350 grain JFP loaded to about 1850 fps. Its accurate and I have used it out to 150 yards with the same results. Thumb sized intery and exit holes. I would not push the range any past 150 yards. I hunt in eastern Nebraska where there isnt a lot of open ground and most deer are shot at 100 or less for the most part. The little Marlin is a great rifle with plenty of punch and lots of fun to boot. I have included a pic from my stand that gives you an idea of the kind of set up it really works well in.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Nice buck Jim ! Congrats
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Thats a great deer!
They dont grow like that down here in florida!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Very nice deer, one day I want a nice white tail, congrats.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great going.! Nice Buck.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Some other bucks I've taken off this property in the past.

The only pic I have of this one, from 1999

And from 1993, taken 100 miles or so north of there

A Kansas coyote

This one isn't mine, it was killed by the big old boy in the plaid shirt he's 6'4" about 350#

My little brother with his best buck
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Very nice buck!
"That'll Be The Day"
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Here are the pics I promised of the bullet core that was recovered from the deer.

You can see the entrance hole in one of the first pics I posted, right on the point of the shoulder. The deer was about halfway quartering toward me, and the bullet was found under the hide over the ribs, about 2 inches forward from where the hide was cut for the cape. Looks like it retained just barely over 50% of the original 350 grains. I did not see any jacket fragments, but they are undoubtedly in there somewhere.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I was finally able to get the rest of the pics ... You can see how gray he was in the face. The "skinned" patch on his side is a mysetery, the hair was on the thorn tree he crashed into so my guess is that he crashed into that tree just right to "skin" that patch of hair.

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

VERY NICE! Congratulations
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yep. That's a very nice buck.

Without pinpointing your "sweet spot" what area of Kansas were you in? East Central West??? Just curious. I drive through Kansas about 4 times a year on my way back and forth to Montana and have sure seen some nice deer from the road. I guess I need to start looking for distant cousins to go visit....

I wasn't able to recover .458 FTX bullets from the two deer I shot last month, hit them both in the ribs. I'm a little surprised that you only had 50% weight retention. Since the "ballistic advantage" the FTX has is negated by my current sights and degrading eyes, I may just start loading a beefier bullet.

Congratulations.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

vancelw wrote:Yep. That's a very nice buck.

Without pinpointing your "sweet spot" what area of Kansas were you in? East Central West??? Just curious. I drive through Kansas about 4 times a year on my way back and forth to Montana and have sure seen some nice deer from the road. I guess I need to start looking for distant cousins to go visit....

I wasn't able to recover .458 FTX bullets from the two deer I shot last month, hit them both in the ribs. I'm a little surprised that you only had 50% weight retention. Since the "ballistic advantage" the FTX has is negated by my current sights and degrading eyes, I may just start loading a beefier bullet.

Congratulations.
Thanks, I was one mile north of the Oklahoma state line, near Coffeyville.

I've had very good results with bulk Remington 405 JSP's at about 1600 fps, I'll either go back to that or switch to hard cast bullets.

Whereabouts in NE Texas?
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

That's a nice buck! Congrats!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Warhawk wrote:
Thanks, I was one mile north of the Oklahoma state line, near Coffeyville.

I've had very good results with bulk Remington 405 JSP's at about 1600 fps, I'll either go back to that or switch to hard cast bullets.

Whereabouts in NE Texas?
Just a few miles south of Oklahoma state line in Lamar County. Anytime I go to Montana to visit my family of Ohio to visit the wife's family, I end up driving Indian Nation Turnpike, US 69, and Will Rogers Turnpike. See quite a few deer if you don't concentrate on watching the road so much :D I often drive US 69 from Galena KS to KC and have seen some really nice whitetails through there, especially in the early morning hours. Keeps me awake.

I've got some relative of relatives that live in the Independence and Pratt areas, but I don't think any of them have any land anymore. I'm kind of impatient. I can spend hours stalking something, but the only way I can kill something out of a blind or stand is if my snoring draws them in close :oops: