Who says a 30-30 won't kill deer!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Who says a 30-30 won't kill deer!!!

Post by Dastook »

Well, here is my annual contribution to the forum for deer hunting. I killed this one with my Marlin 336 and LeverEvolution ammo at about 80 yards. I was hunting him on a farm we lease in Eastern North Carolina in a spot we call the pines. It is an area that was clear cut about ten years ago and then replanted in pines. We cut shooting lanes in it and put up stands. It holds a lot of does and come the rut the bucks move through looking for hot does. I was sitting in the stand just before sunup and saw a buck move across the lane and start to head into the pines on the other side. The lanes are only about 15 ft. across so you have to be ready and shoot fast. By the time I was ready to shoot he was already about half way into the cover. I yelled YOOO BUCK loud to try to stop him, we do this regularly and found it works very well to stop them and get a shot. When I yelled he stopped all right but still had his front half of his body in the pines. Then to my surprise, from the other side, where the first buck came out another buck came out walking right toward me as though he was trying to find out who was yelling. I lined him up in my sights and broke the shot. He flinched and took off with the old goat hop and headed into the pines. I sat and listened intently and heard him crash. I gave him a few minutes and climbed out of the stand. I walked down to where I thought I had hit him and found a large blood splatter, went into the pines and found him about 20 yrds. away. He weighed 176 pounds and had 18 in. spread. Not real big for whitetail standards, but pretty good for Eastern North Carolina.

I will post better pix later as I took this one with my cell phone. My hunting buddy took more pix with his camera with me and my rifle but hasn't emailed them to me yet. I killed another six point and took two does for the freezer. My wife is making jerky as I write this. We use all of the game I kill and try not to waste anything.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who says a 30-30 won't kill deer!!!

Post by kimwcook »

Good job! Meat for the table and freezer. Excellent.
Old Law Dawg
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

WOW, the 30-30 still works, impossibly! :shock: Congrats on a nice deer, good shooting!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Congrats! It was probably the extra killing power of the yelling, that's the only thing that explains this!
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

nemhed wrote:Congrats! It was probably the extra killing power of the yelling, that's the only thing that explains this!
The farmer that we lease the land from has been telling us for years to do this to stop the bucks in these quick lane shots. I had been skeptical about it until about two years ago when I started trying it. It really works. I have never had a buck instantly run when they hear you yell. They either just keep walking at the same speed or more than not they stop and take a look. They don't stand long though. When you yell you better be ready to shoot.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice deer, congrats!
NRA Life Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

What??!!? :o No .300 mangle'em loudenboomen stainless steel fiberglass stocked modern day wonder with a 500 dollar scope? How is it possible we see that deer lying there? Did you actually just hit him with your truck? Everyone knows the .30-30 is totally inadequate and obsolete. :shock:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Congrats. I was out all day yesterday, saw three, no shots.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Nice buck..Do you think he's old? He has alot of gray on his face.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Thats a great buck....congrats....
the only thing i have seen so far this year are spikes....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The 30wcf is a peach on allsorts ,well done :D

A whistle works too :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Just finished reading how a 32-20 dropped a doe and now you come along and say you killed a deer with a 30-30. Now we all know both of your are full of it because everyone one of those gun rags has said that neither of the rounds you two have claimed to use will stop a deer, not even if you are within inches of them.
So you must have used one of those large magnum cannons to do the work and just claimed to have used what you said.
Now if we could only get more real stories like this maybe some of the lies about the cartridges used could be put where they belong in the garbage.
Great to hear of your good fortune.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

The old saying up here is, the 30-30 has tagged more deer than any other cartridge....except the .22 rimfire....it has POACHED more deer than the 30-30!...............Sorry about that sad attempt at humor.....

Thats a beautiful buck!!!!!! Great Job......
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very nice.....couple years ago, DeerZilla dashed in front of me on a narrow skidder road....forgot to yell :oops: I've been carrying a 45-70 for years, just might graduate to something smaller next year.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Dastook wrote:... He weighed 176 pounds and had 18 in. spread. Not real big for whitetail standards, but pretty good for Eastern North Carolina.
Funny, that would be a HUGE deer down here in Central Florida. I don't know if it's the food supply or the heat or what, but they don't often get that big down here. They are around I suppose, but very sparse. They seem to be larger as you get into North Florida. Maybe it's just Whitetail envy on my part ... the grass is always greener, etc.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I obviously have a total misconception about the 30/30, but since it was the "only" rifle I had when growing up, I had nothing to judge it against. Lately I've read numerous articles that the 30wcf is only good for small game. Funny, all those mule deer and a couple of elk I've taken must have died from fright. I carried a 30/30 for years as a guide in Wyoming and was told more than once by a client I needed more gun. I guess I haven't learned much in the last 50 years.

Nice buck !!! Sorry you were so under-gunned.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

It is so nice to see that so many of us don't know a thing about what the 30-30 can do. I guess being old and having had a 30-30 in the house for more years then I want to admit to I never did get the proper training on how it was just a varmint caliber.
Glad I missed that training and also that it is only good for 150 yards as I think it more like a 175-180 yard limit as I don't see that good anymore.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV