Rossi 92 Hi-vis sights?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Rossi 92 Hi-vis sights?

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I just picked up a .454 Rossi carbine and want some high visiblity or 3 dot sights that would fit the factory dovetails and be adjustable for windage/elevation (drifting the sights is acceptable for windage). Am I asking for too much? My Rossi pump .22 and Navy Arms/Rossi carbine have some strange dovetail that is larger than the standard 3/8". My eyes aren't what they were and I need help in the woods on cloudy days and late & early in the day too. I'm loosing a half to a full hour a day and I'm going to have to retire my old 94.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi 92 Hi-vis sights?

Post by AJMD429 »

I really like the Marble's 'Bullseye' sights for FAST work and can do 1-2" at 50 yards if I do my part.

They don't block much field of view at all, and for 'snap' shots the outer ring is a huge 'ghost ring'...

Here's a regular 'open' sight (factory one was same width and height was same as I didn't change out the front sight) for comparison to show how much view they block (the 'three-dot' ones would block just as much).

Here's the sight - MidwayUSA "Marble's Bullseye" sight

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

AJMD429, that is an ingenious sight and might help, I'll be looking into it closely. I am guessing that Brownells has it, hopefully with an oversize dovetail that can be fitted to the Rossi. That might solve part of the problem but its the front sight that I can't see. If it were a square, wide blade rather than a post and bead I could probably paint it and at least get by.

Pokey, that is exactly what I had in mind however the first problem is that the only ones I could find are the ones for a Winchester or Marlin, both of which have smaller dovetails than the Rossi. Its possible to put a shim in the dovetail and drive a sight in but it looks kind of makeshift. The second problem is that both the front sights are intended to be installed on a ramp and would be too short. The answer there is to install a ramp but that sure does ugly up a good looking lever gun.

I can fit an oversize sight to an existing dovetail but drilling & tapping a barrel or reciever means a trip to the gunsmith and the gun is out of action till after the season ends which negates the reason for buying it. I was hoping the guns were popular enough that there would be an off the shelf sighting system avaliable but it doesn't seem so. Williams does make a traditional semi buckhorn sight for the Rossi and it has an unfinished base that you file to fit the barrel dovetail. I have one on my cowboy action carbine but it has a square post front sight on the barrel band and that combination works fine for me in broad daylight.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The use of a very thin (I used soft drink can aluminum) shim underneath the sight will be practically invisible, unless you make it too big or allow it to shift out one side during installation.

Front-sight-wise, I used a dremel to make a hole front-to-back in a plain 'factory' Rossi blade (used a round tiny 'burr' bit) at an angle matching the top of the sight's downward slope. I then notched the top of the sight with a round file then edge of a square one so that the notch ate into the channel. Then I inserted a piece of fiber-optic (you can buy just the fiber from MidwayUSA), thus having my own 'firesight' without any other mods.

Here's the link - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21648

It worked fine with the Marble's Bullseye rear I showed above, although only took the photo with the original rear open blade.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If this weren't a 454 I'd suggest a tang sight, but I wouldn't want that with such a kicker - I'd suggest Steve's Guns safety replacement elevation adjustable aperture sight for the rear and one of the red-dot front sights that he sells for Rossi carbines. You may want to get his other improvements too - like the steel mag follower and sight slot blank.

But the combination of an aperture sight (nearer to your eyes IMHO) and a brite, fiber optic front sight bead would be about as good as it can get for open sights in the woods. Since you're only focusing on the front sight and letting the rear fuzz-out, its also very quick and old eyes like em. ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I figured it was worth a try and called Braztech/Rossi in Fla. this morning to see if they had the factory high visibility sights avaliable as parts. I got through to customer service without too much trouble and a girl answered identifing herself as customer service. I told her I had a Rossi 92 carbine and did they have any high visibility sights for it: "no sir"....(pause).... Are you aware of any aftermarket sights for the gun? "No"....(another pause) Thank you, have a nice day (that was me). Needless to say I wasn't impressed, if I need parts for my 3 Rossis I hope Brownells or Gun Parts has them.