OT: A New 22LR for my son......I need help.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

OT: A New 22LR for my son......I need help.

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey folks.

I want to get my son a 22 rifle for Christmas. He's almost 10 years old. I really like the basic Henry. My question is:

Is there a less expensive repeating rifle than the Henry that you would recommend? It doesn't have to be a lever, but I really don't want a single shot. And he would rather it look like a real gun instead of "kiddie colored".

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: A New 22LR for my son......I need help.

Post by Warhawk »

I bought a youth model Henry for my grandson, who turns six today. He's not quite ready for it yet, and I might not be willing to part with it when he is <G>.

The youth model Henry is a dandy little .22, "a trapper" with an inch shorter stock. The only 22 repeaters I can think of that might be cheaper would be a Marlin or Savage bolt gun, or a Marlin semi auto (Cabelas has a Marlin 795 for $99 in the current sale ad).
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

How about a Savage or Marlin bolt action repeater?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's not much out there, besides the H001 Henry .22lr, that you can buy new for less than $250 these days, and not have it colored like bubble gum.

If you'll check in the Henry section, over on http://www.rimfirecentral.com , it'll be plain to see that many adults (me included) just love them - and if you get your child one, it'll most likely be kept for life.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Savage's and Marlin's are excellent, and both are usually quite accurate. No lever-gun I know of sells for less than the Henry.

Don't discount the option of a breakopen, because you can get one for very little cost, and probably can get a 'combo' say in .410/22LR (where there are two different barrels you can quickly put on the frame without tools in a matter of seconds) for about the same cost as most bolt-repeaters.

Then the little guy would have TWO (or three) guns in one, because he then could for minimal cost add say a .243 Win barrel in a year or so. Rossi makes the little 'combo-guns' like that for VERY reasonable cost. As most breakopens are, they tend to be very accurate, too. Many 'standard' pairs and trios are available, and you can order add-ons pretty flexibly.

More on the Rossi combo guns - http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details ... umbseries=

This trio has a .22 LR, 20 gauge shotgun, and .44 Magnum barrel... 8) 8) 8)

If he's petite or not shot much yet, maybe do the .22LR/.410/.243 or just the .22LR/.410 set.

Here's a couple of nice articles on the Rossi's:

- http://www.womenhunters.com/rossi-wanda.html
- http://hunting.about.com/library/weekly ... edpair.htm

Budsgunshop.com has the .22LR/.410 for $145 delivered to your FFL - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/39687

Or in stainless for $162 delivered - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/51893

The .22LR/12ga/.44 Mag is $272 delivered - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/53835

And $240 for .223 Rem or .243 Win with 12 gauge... 8)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Thanks guys.

I saw the Savages and Marlins, but I've never handled them. :oops:
Are they of good quality for the price?

AJMD, that combo idea is something I haven't thought of. What do you think of this one?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/18965

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

How about this Mossberg Youth model?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/53813

bogie
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bogie35 wrote:What do you think of this one?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/18965
bogie
Yep = but they show 'out of stock' there. Could try TheGunSource.com.

The ones I added/noted in my earlier post show all 'in stock' at the moment...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I had my 16 yo neice (petite) try several types of rimfires.
Ruger 10/22 scoped.
Winchester M52 (1929) heavy target rifle with Lyman receiver and globe front.
Marlin 39 (1927) with a peep on the barrel and Lyman 17 up front.

She used a rest and prefered the M52. I bought her a Savage MKII GL (left hand)
as she is left eye dominant. I mounted a globe up front and a vintage Redfield receiver
rear (uses 22 dovetail).

She really shoots this well and I would endorse the Savage MKIIs

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My boys are 3 and 4 yrs old respectively and I got them both a Henry Youth Model. The big guy can shoot it - the little one just sort of points and shoots. Your son is bigger and should be able to handle it well. Mine is very accurate and reliable with plain ol' Federal bulk ammo. It's so good I'm gonna borrow it and temporarily scope it for late season squirrel hunting.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

There is always the Ruger 10/22. They are $200 new at WalMart here and you can find nice used ones at pawn shops even cheaper.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

AJMD429 wrote:...Budsgunshop.com has the .22LR/.410 for $145 delivered to your FFL - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/39687...
Thanks! That one didn't come up when I did my original search.

And thanks to everyone for your input. I'm getting excited now, so I'm headed out to Wal-Mart to see what they have on the shelf!

bogie
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought our oldest a Savage MKII .22lr at Wally world for $129.99 for Christmas just a couple years ago.

He's Autistic and mentally handicapped. He can't remember from one range day to the next how to shoot his
brother's 10/22 or my Marlin 39a but the little bolt gun makes perfect sense to him. He actually out shoots his
youger brother with his Savage.

I took it to the range one day and was stunned by what a great (and accurate) shooter it was!!

Great little rifles!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bogie35 wrote:I'm getting excited now, so I'm headed out to Wal-Mart to see what they have on the shelf! bogie
Unless your Wal-Mart is better than our small-midwestern-town one, you'll be lucky to find a couple boxes of ammo, let alone an actual g-g-g-gun. :shock: Ours quit selling those scary things a few years back...

If you come back empty handed, BudsGunShop will generally get what you order in the hands of your local FFL within 7 days maximum, assuming you have a debit or credit card to use. (I stoke up my debit card in advance and if I've been frugal with gas money, snack money, and so on, every few months I have enough to see what Bud's has for me... 8) ) Most FFL's charge well under $20 for such transfers.

wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

buy the henry !!!! american made and priced right. I hunt with it. check out rimfire central to see how incredible their customer service is...

buy american !!!
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I'd go for the Henry. I think it's one of the best dollar-for-dollar buys on the market today, and the company stands four-square behind its products. (I bought myself one for my 70th birthday back in May!)

Something to consider is the fact that the supervising adult can instaneously see if the rifle is cocked.

Repeating hammer guns are a good bet for beginners; there's no more fun than rolling a can or making multiple hits on some sort of reactive target. That's why I found a Model 62A Winchester under the Christmas tree back in 1950. (The rifle was stolen back in '76 - my Henry is kind of its replacement.)
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I saw a .22 semi-auto repeater at the Wally-World a couple months back that was just over a c-note! I think it was a Marlin or a Remington - can't recall for sure. I looked at it as I was thinking about picking up something for my nephew and originally thought about restoring something, but heck, at that price for a new gun, I'd be hard pressed to beat it.

If I could only have one .22, I hate to admit it, it wouldn't be a lever - it would be the Ruger 10/22. It's a bit more expensive but well worth it!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Fellow Levergun member Jeff Quinn had good things to say about the Rossi Combo over on Gun Blast.com
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Bogie, IMNSHO you can't do any better than to get him started with the NEF Versa pak you have listed from Bud's. Personally I love my Handi Rifles. But be careful they can be addicting. Purchasing just one has been know to turn someone into a Handiholic.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I looked at it as I was thinking about picking up something for my nephew and originally thought about restoring something, but heck, at that price for a new gun, I'd be hard pressed to beat it.
But you have to admit, a 'handmade' gun like the pink one you made for your girl just can't be beat!

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I too agre that the Henry is an excellent choice. But, if you consider a semi auto the Marlin Mod. 60 is a very good gun. It has a huge following similar to the 10/22 crowd (not quite as many accessories though). Check out rimfire Central.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I vote for a Henry youth model or large loop like I have. It has been just a great gun for me, eats everything I feed it and is about the smoothest lever out of the box I have ever shot. Good company with excellent customer service also.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

BOGIE, PM ON THE WAY TO YOU. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I still don't like to give 'kids' a semiauto until they have several years of shooting experience; part from a safety perspective, and part from a skills-learning perspective. If you have a single-shot you get to be a better shot, in my opinion, and value shot placement over 'volume'...

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I would opt for the Marlin 60 or a Ruger 10/22 carbine. He will never outgrow those. A single shot .410/.22 may become frowned upon in years to come. The Ruger 10/22 is awesome. I just took my 12 yr old daughter out this weekend with ours. BOTH OF US shoot it. It is even more fun when you top it with a REDDOT Scope. She can keep all 10 shots in 2" circle at 50 yrds.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Nanook
Levergunner

Post by Nanook »

I bought both my kids a Savage break open over / under 410 / 22 when they turned 10. I figured it was a safe gun for them to learn on and they could bird hunt and plink too! Just a thought.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I just read the flier for Dick's Sporting Goods. If you are considering the Henry, and have a Dick's Sporting Goods nearby, they have the Henry for $219 tomorrow and Saturday. That's as good as it gets here in SW Ohio. Might even check one out my own self!
Happy Thanksgiving to y'all.
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

What do you already have in your gun cabinet that might fit the bill? Perhaps down the road when the kid's grown, he might like to have a gun that was his Dad's-given to him by his Dad-and remember you on holidays like this one? Just a thought on family unity on Thanksgiving. By the way--I'd like to take this moment to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving today. :)
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

10/22's? Borrrring (Homer Simpson imitation). I can't get excited about a gun everyone has, even if the reason they have them is because they are good. I guess that's why I don't ride Harleys either. :)

Probably out of the price range you are talking about, but my boy's CZ 452 is the nicest .22 I've seen. Remember, this may be a gun your son has his whole life.
ab4ka
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ab4ka »

While I'd highly recommend the Henry, if you just want to try something the Mossberg 702 Plinkster is a good way to go. They are cheap and reliable, and actually pretty good shooters.
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

marlin m 60 petty cheap 165$
ruger 10/22 205$
or marlin bolt action 170$