OT - 35 Whelen and a Rem 7600

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - 35 Whelen and a Rem 7600

Post by 1886 »

I know its not a levergun but.... I have been enamoured with this combo for a long, long time. Trouble is or was that I could not find one. I guess those that had'em intended to keep'em. Well I solved the problem of finding one. I spoke with Mic Mc. about these rifles and he had nothing but praise for them assuming one could get one with a good trigger. He did say that Rem. made a mistake not offering the Whelen as a carbine or if they did they did not do it long enough.They do offer the gas gun as a carbine. I think mine is from a 2002 run through Grices(sp?) Gun Shop of Pa. where I am told it is known as the Amish Machine Gun. The trigger is about as good as a guy could hope. I ordered a Lee FCD thru their custom shop and Warne bases thru Lock, Stock & Barrel. I will take pictures when I pick it up. I welcome your experiences. Thanks. 1886.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I have owned 1 of these for about 10 yrs now, nice hunting rifle. Sierra 225 grn bullet's with Rel15 or Imr 4064 is accurate in mine. I have a receiver sight on mine, have thought about scoping it but figured it would take away from the handling. I havn't hunted with mine the last few year's because I bought a 7600 carbine in .35 Rem (made for grice's). I have heard them called the Pennsylvania machine gun and the Pennsylvania gameblaster. They are popular in Penn because you can't hunt with autoloaders, also the Benoit's from Vermont are responsible for their popularity. Let us know how your's shoot's.
Karl
copen
Levergunner

Post by copen »

1886.....Have had one since about 1988. Can't offer you anything about handloads as I came across a pretty good deal on factory ammo in quantity at a gunshow some years back. Very accurate and handy even in rifle configuration.
I believe Jeff Quinn did a article on the 35Whelen a short time back on GUNBLAST.
Cartridges Of The World also has good things to say about the 35Whln.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a Remington 760 back in the early 80's, mine was in .308. AS I remember it was kind of ho hum. I do remember always wondering what could be done with the rifle's trigger unit. I know dealing with 870's there are all kinds of things that can be done with them and their trigger groups for trap shooters to help reduce flinching. Since these units drop right out.
If you have a trigger on a 7600 that doesn't suit you you should be able to send off just the trigger group for work.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jtaylor1960
Levergunner

7600 35 WHELEN

Post by jtaylor1960 »

I bought a 7600 35 Whelen a few years ago.With a 250gr. Nosler and some IMR- 4064 it will shoot under one inch at 100yds.Most bolts won't do that .For a woods rifle it is hard to beat.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

That gun is a hammer on all sorts of game. You are going to enjoy it.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Some of the most devastating one shot knock downs I've witnesses on bears and moose came from 35 Whelens, some 7600's but all shooting 250gr ammo.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Have a Remington M6 308 Winchester with a Schmid&Bender 1.5-6x42 scope. Great rifle and very accurate. No problem to shot groups about 1".
Did have a bad trigger. Sent the whole trigger to Timney and the did an amazing job. Now I have a nice and clean trigger brake with a trigger stop.
Friend of mine bought a 7600 in 35 Whelen. This gun is a keeper also. Very accurate with factory stuff and reloads. The trigger on his rifle isn't that bad.
Last edited by Ravenman on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Double post sorry! Anyway I know you will like the 35 Whelen and the Model 7600.