Keeping a sling on the shoulder?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Keeping a sling on the shoulder?

Post by Woodtroll »

Hello, friends!

I'm looking for ideas on how to keep a leather sling from sliding off the shoulder while hunting, and the more traditional the better. I hunt with my Sharps slung muzzle-down from my left shoulder, but when hunkering down, passing through brush, etc., it tends to slide off my wool coat. I'm tempted to put a "bachelor's button" on the shoulder, but was afraid the sling might actually slide up under the edge and hang when I'm in a hurry, and was wondering if y'all had any better ideas? I guess a strip of non-lined neoprene or something similar would work great, but I just can't bear to put that on a wool coat.

What have you tried that has worked well for you?

Thanks,
Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Keeping a sling on the shoulder?

Post by TedH »

I've sewed a large button on a couple of my regular hunting jackets. It works great for keeping the sling from sliding off my shoulder. I've never had a problem getting the sling off my shoulder when I wanted.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like the button but I don't bend over with slung guns. When bending over the muzzle should be better controlled so I carry them then. You could put the neoprene on the SLING instead of the coat. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Thanks, guys, I'll probably try the button, unless someone comes up with a better idea.

Hobie, you're right, I woudn't bend over relying only on the sling. My left hand is always on the gun (unless I'm digging out a sandwich or something!). I find that with my left hand on the rifle's forend, I can swing it up and around onto my right shoulder without ever changing left hand position, making for a pretty fast shot on the rare occasion I need one. Plus, the 28" barrel makes it mandatory that I control the muzzle when bending too far over, lest I plow a furrow with it! It's this sliding around the shoulder that most often makes the sling work off. I understand your point about safety, though, and it is well taken.

Thanks again!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Put a piece of skateboard tape on the inside of the sling where it touches your shoulder. A small piece will grab like vise-grips. You don't need much.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

86er wrote:Put a piece of skateboard tape on the inside of the sling where it touches your shoulder. A small piece will grab like vise-grips. You don't need much.
Do you have to stitch it to keep it there or will the adhesive alone do the job?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

I would try slipping the sling through a piece of bicycle inner tube, the rubber should do a good job of keeping it in place, and when your out of the woods you can just pull it off. When I use a sling, I have found that the only one that would stay put is an Uncle Mikes Mountain sling, it has a length of rubber sewn on the inside about 18" or so long to catch your shoulder.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

For keeping you sling on your shoulder you might want to look at a narrow sling. In Europe many use a sling with a width of 3/4 of an inch and some even use a half inch sling. This digs into the fabric of the jacket and keeps it from slipping free. I have tried it and it does work. The big cobra shaped slings seem to always want to slide around. Just a thought.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I like the Butler Creek Neoprene slings. They hardly ever slip and slide on me and don't make your shoulder tired at the end of the day.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I'm looking for ideas on how to keep a leather sling from sliding off the shoulder while hunting]

No offense, but my $0.02:
NO gun should be slung on one's shoulder while hunting - it should be in the hunter's hand(s).

That's why QD swivels are available - to take the durn brush hook off, and put it in a pocket or haversack while using the gun.

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The skateboard tape will adhere to the leather. If it starts to peel up in the corners, a dab of fabric glue will fix that and not leave any signs of it on the leather sling.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Have you thought about just carrying the gun?

If you must, instead of slinging it, use a fabricated belt loop (kinda like a holster) to slide the gun into when you must have the use of both hands.
ED
Yer never too old
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pete44ru wrote:[I'm looking for ideas on how to keep a leather sling from sliding off the shoulder while hunting]

NO gun should be slung on one's shoulder while hunting - it should be in the hunter's hand(s).

That's why QD swivels are available - to take the durn brush hook off, and put it in a pocket or haversack while using the gun.

Depends entirely on the terrain, sir. You won't get far in some places I hunt trying to hold onto your rifle all day long. You need "both" hands to assist in forward locomotion, either up or down.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That's exactly why QD swivels work so well - climbing and busting brush isn't hunting.

Whenever I've had to traverse terrain tough enough to require the use of both hands, the sling goes on the rifle, which then gets slung securely across my back until I'm in a better position for actually hunting/shooting.

If any animal's dumb enough to stick around while I'm stumbling through some briars or scrambling across/up a slope, then it's just their day to die, pure & simple. ;)

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Pete44ru wrote:[I'm looking for ideas on how to keep a leather sling from sliding off the shoulder while hunting]

Not al hunting requires or is aided by having the gun in your hands. Sure your idea has metrit if you are doing a slow walk thru the woods for deer or small game but that's about it. What about coon hunting? What about spot and stalk in the prairie or mountains? What about when walking back to the truck or camp? You recommend QD swivels and keep the sling in your pocket and thats great. But does that mean you want your rifle sliding off after you reattach the sling?

Having hands free while hunting is a good thing and I like slings. Even have one on my bird 12ga. To each their own.

A button on the top of the shoulder is great. Have one sewed onto my coon hunting jacket.

LK
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

Finn Aagard had a piece in Rifle years ago about some oddes & ends. One of them was to use something like ShoeGoo to make some "dots" on the inside surface of the sling for better traction.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

mine slides all over the place; I hate it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

For a carry sling I prefer the old Brit '08 pattern web version. Inexpensive and less inclined to slippage in my experience.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't think I've walked afield with any gun I've owned more than once or twice without giving in and putting sling swivels on it. Personal preference I guess.

Many times I don't need the gun 'at ready' and may have a wheelbarrow (no wisecracks - it's usually full of weeds for the compost or tomatoes to bring to the house - or manure) or something else busying my hands. Ever try to push a wheelbarrow with a slung firearm? Gotta have a non-slip sling...!

The crossways over-one-shoulder-behind-the-back way does work, but is uncomfortable and then the gun is really slow to bring to action, if that is important (rarely is for me - I mostly sling coming back from the deer stand or sometimes if doing chores and there's been feral dogs or coyotes about).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Thanks very much to the folks that answered my original question. I am glad to see that some folks here are able to see that hunting technique, and situations, may differ depending on where you live or the type of terrain you hunt in.

Regardless of what some think of the way I hunt, I will continue to carry my rifle slung when I see fit. I seldom snap shoot, prefering to shoot game that doesn't know I am there, with one single sure shot whenever possible. Y'all are welcome to hunt, and carry your guns, as you see fit in your own situations, as long as the muzzle is always pointing where it should be.

Thanks,
Regan
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I have a leather sling that adjusts in length very easily and quickly.
Thusly, I alternate between carrying the rifle barrel pointed up and
down and right shoulder and left shoulder and sometimes across
the back with the adjustment to a longer length. I'm talking
about around over my head on one side with barrel pointing
up and the stock sticking out on the other side behind me.
No way that can slip off. In fact that is I think what was referred
to as where it needs to be when using both hands to climb up
a steep hill etc.

When walking back to truck or through open fields and not necessarily thinking
about hunting. I sometimes place the sling around my neck and carry
the rifle sideways across the front of my belly. That is pretty relaxing
to me.

An 11 pound rifle is just too heavy to purely carry on a 20 mile hike.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Here's an another idea, that I don't think has been mentioned...

With cheap nylon 1" webbing and a quick-disconnect connector for the same, you can make a 8" or 12" loop of webbing. Make it too long, and you can adjust the loop for size as needed. Run one end through a button hole on your jacket or vest (I do it on my blaze camo vest), go out to and around the sling, then back to the other end of the QD -- snap it, and the sling is now held tight to the center of your chest.

You DO have to remember to disconnect that when you're expecting immediate "action" -- but for those long walks to/from the trailhead where you want the rifle secure, this trick works great for me.

Just don't forget to unclip it before you really need it... :wink:

Old No7

ps: I had the opportunity to hunt in Bavaria earlier this fall; not only do they favor skinny slings over there, most of the ones I saw were double loops -- with one loop going over each shoulder, really securing the rifle well to your back. Where I was we make BIG hikes out to the actual hunting grounds (all controlled by leases), so having the rifle secure was fine for all the the walking.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I cant really picture in my mind how the double loop works.
I understand backpacks with double loops but where and how was
the rifle situated when the double loops were being used ?
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I went on a Google search for a European double loop sling like Old No7 described but I could not find it. I did come across this website for the crossfire sling. It looked interesting. I wonder if anyone here has experience with it.

http://www.crossfiresling.com/home

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"I went on a Google search for a European double loop sling like Old No7 described but I could not find it."
This sling works just like the ones I used in Germany, but the webs are thicker -- which may actually be more comfortable on a long hike.

Check out the "Outlaw Sling" on this website:
http://www.timberbutteoutdoors.com/

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH