MOVIES - Enemy at the Gates

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

MOVIES - Enemy at the Gates

Post by Hobie »

We're playing Enemy at the Gates in the shop today. Still no leverguns as we work through the assorted movies in our selection at the shop.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TexasTrigger
Levergunner

Re: MOVIES - Enemy at the Gates

Post by TexasTrigger »

Great movie. Incredible battle scenes. Particularly of the river crossing into the city.
Can you imagine one rifle for every two soldiers?!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Another one down for it being a pretty darned good war movie...I'm not one for special effects.. especially for the sake of special effects just cause they can do them to show them off, but when the story enhancing special effects Ju 87s come thru, bombs dropping, sirens screaming...Well, I got shivers, and made me wanna get real small!
You just about gotta agree any old Russian, is a tough one!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Good movie, good effects, not too hard to watch when you get past the point that it is very loosely based (well, the writer had a friend who knew a guy he met once who quickly read the original book) upon a true story.

What really sours it for me is the marketing people put a gratuitous sex scene in there just to magnify the 'love interest' and to marginally draw in the teenage audience. Bad, lazy writing, that. If it wound up on the edited room floor, it would not have changed the look/feel of the movie one bit.

I'm no prude, but I've no respect for the marketing and product placement prostitutes. (that last, substituted for another word.)

And yeah. Here's a couple of rounds, sorry you're the odd man out, just watch your buddies on either side for your chance to arm up.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

wecsoger wrote:Good movie, good effects, not too hard to watch when you get past the point that it is very loosely based (well, the writer had a friend who knew a guy he met once who quickly read the original book) upon a true story.

What really sours it for me is the marketing people put a gratuitous sex scene in there just to magnify the 'love interest' and to marginally draw in the teenage audience. Bad, lazy writing, that. If it wound up on the edited room floor, it would not have changed the look/feel of the movie one bit.

I'm no prude, but I've no respect for the marketing and product placement prostitutes. (that last, substituted for another word.)

And yeah. Here's a couple of rounds, sorry you're the odd man out, just watch your buddies on either side for your chance to arm up.
The movie was well done, although it missed in accuracy, per Wecsoger's comments.

Great review - of the movie and of the current generation's Hollywood, by the way - Wecsoger! I couldn't agree more.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I liked it and just read the story of the battle for the city.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Excellent movie.

A very good friend of mine was one of the technical advisors. He knows more about Russian/ Soviet hardware than anyone I've
ever known.

As far as what has been stated as "over the top" love sceens. I don't see the big deal.

One of my favorites.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent movie! Even better if you like Mosin-Nagant's! :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I really liked it. It's been a few years since we saw it, I may just have to go rent it.
NRA Life Member
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

The technical advice was fine, as far as I discerned. The advisor(s) appeared to do a good job with the genre, sniping technique, apparent military protocol and so on. But, let's face it - the facts and events in the movie were, in true Hollywood fashion, largely manufactured.

The story line was usually engaging, suspenseful and fascinating. But (as noted above) one should rarely take Hollywood's version of a true historical event or series of events very seriously.

For instance, Fred Harvey (http://www.historyplace.com) says correctly in his review of the film:
"So how much of this sniper stuff is fact and how much is fiction? Well, the film makers themselves admit they don't know for sure. There absolutely was a Soviet sniper named Vassili and he was very active during the Battle of Stalingrad. But his reputation was also greatly embellished by the Soviets for their own propaganda purposes. It is not known for example if there ever was a German super-sniper sent to get him, since there was no record of it found in Germany. The film makers have thus embellished upon the embellishment to come up with their script. So, what you have is a work of fiction based on a real character, about whom not much is really known."

Anyway, you got a good feel for those poor miserable Russian peasants who were thrown into the breech without adequate training, equipment, or even leadership.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Excellent movie! Even better if you like Mosin-Nagant's! :D
But - did you watch it with your Mosin-Nagant...? :? :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Read War of the Rats.

Same thing, better told.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

It is not known for example if there ever was a German super-sniper sent to get him, since there was no record of it found in Germany.
They prolly got the idea from the book about Carlos Hathcock
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC Some of the most effective snipers in the battle were women.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote:
YES!
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

....Great movie.

Makes me want to get a 'Nagant, real bad!
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
oldboot
Levergunner

Post by oldboot »

I love the movie. Yes Hollywood did make up some of the stuff, but it is still a good movie. Yes, I do watch it with my 1942 Mosin-Nagant.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

excellent movie.
pete
DAV life member.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Pete, that looks more like a ZF-4?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

JimT.good picture,pretty lady BUT the rifle in the picture is NOT a 91-38.It is a 91.The 91-38 was a short carbine made by cutting down a long model 91.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Great movie, but almost entirely fiction. The main character, Vasili Zeitsev, was indeed a sniper in the battle for Moscow, among others, but historians differ greatly as to his effectiveness. It is also thought by many that his becoming a national hero was a made-up affair for propaganda purposes. The truth will never be known. Here is a good article, Wikepedia to be adminstered with a grain of salt of course. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Zaytsev
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Here's a little accompanyment for you while cuddling your Nagant, this is the most stirring version, Red Army Choir with English translation. Turn up your volumn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLi_m656tQQ
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I am thinking thats a finn.note the front sight and it looks like a round reciever oh and the girl does look pretty good also :lol:
pete
DAV life member.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

AJMD429 wrote:
I know I do. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Yes I did...cradled my M44 ser. no. 117x. Know the history & yet I still enjoyed the movie.

LB
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

MrMurphy wrote:Read War of the Rats.

Same thing, better told.
Thanks for confirming I haven't totally lost my mind. I read it before EatG came out and when people started talking about the movie I was sure it was the same thing. Never saw the movie though (dunno why, just never have :oops: )
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
ab4ka
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ab4ka »

I liked the movie (I've got it on DVD, would have loved to have seen it in the theater). I really enjoyed reading "War of the Rats" as well. Reading this makes me want to get another Mosin-Nagant...I used to collect them but then switched to Mausers (then eventually they all went away). You can't beat a $79 rifle with a spam can of ammo for a good time :D