Why your choice of 12 gauge or 20 gauge.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Why your choice of 12 gauge or 20 gauge.

Post by Gobblerforge »

Well Old Savage got me thinking about shotguns and shooting and loads with his "Best Gun" thread. Thanks, O.S. I have been a shotgun shooter for 40 of my 49 years. Yep, I'm from Ohio. The state that only allows shotguns for deer hunting and not center fire rifles. Oh, don't even get me going on that one. But the fact remains that it made me a pretty good shotgun shooter. I started with the .410, like many, but my first gun was 20ga. Dad bought it for me back in 69 when I was 9 years old. You see he had kept me home from school for opening day of rabbit season and gave me his 20ga. side by side for the day and he had to carry the Ithica model 37 12ga.. Well at the end of the day, he told Mom that I needed my own gun so he could have his 20 back because that darned 12 was too heavy. I kid you not, that night they found a used 20ga. double for sale in the paper, made a call, an appointment, and a purchase. And just like that, I was the very proud owner of a Dakin 20 gauge double. Still have it of course. I carried that gun for the next dozen years or so for everything. Rabbits and pheasants didn't stand a chance if my swing was smooth. Dad and I shot trap a lot in the early 70's. Twice a week for almost all of the 1972 season, and by age 12, I could pull 8 out of 10 with regularity. Then I got into sporting clays in the 90's. Heck I don't think I've actually aimed that gun for over 25 years. I just shoulder it and look at the target. The gun does the rest. The other guns that I've shot the most were the Ithica 37, and 870 Remington. Dad gave the Ithica to me in the early 80's but I have used it for deer from the start. Harvested my first deer with it in 1977. Still hunt with it at least one day each deer season just because I think the old girl can still dance. It's the only time I use a 12ga. The other is the Remington 870 Express in 20ga. I use the stock barrel with the full choke insert for clay bird and small game. I change chokes to Improved for slugs for deer hunting and a Turkey Choke for turkey season. With these three guns I have managed to do the bulk of my lifetime of shooting and have proved to myself that the 20ga. Is very capable and all the gun that I could possibly need. On average, the 20 gauge is lighter and has less recoil than any of the 12ga guns I've owned. Recoil is a major consideration now later in life too. My shoulders a stuff and I am recoil sensitive, so I always go back to the 20 of choice.
These are my reasons for prefering the 20 over the 12. I read a lot of folks like the 12 better and I wanted to hear your choices and why's.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Why your choice of 12 gauge or 20 gauge.

Post by KirkD »

Well, I'd never shot a 20 Ga until about 12 years ago. Then my father-in-law passed away and I got several of his guns, including a single shot 20 Ga and a bag of cartridges. I started hunting groundhogs with that 20 gauge and was very surprised to find that it seemed to be just as effective as a 12 Ga. I've killed a lot of groundhogs with that 20 Ga, usually at about 25 yards. Works just fine. I do have an old Clabrough 12 Ga double hammer gun, but if I were to buy a spanking new shotgun, I'd be leaning toward the 20 Ga.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I started using Winchester S/B 20ga. while working as a gamekeeper and found it killed just as good as any of my 12ga. shotguns.
Since then I tried the little Rossi S/B 28ga and boy what an eye opener that was! Real sweet little gauge. I then bought a Remington Express in 28ga but GK jr got that for graduating university. :roll:

If I had to have just one gun as per OS's thread, I'd have to go for a 12ga. just because in "bonkers Britain" 12ga is the only legal shotgun for Deer and the ammo can be had in every shot size just about everywhere. Plus there are a lot of light loads for the 12ga. now.

My only shotgun at the moment is my Russian 16ga Hammergun, I have a .410 gaugemate for rats and such..
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have both and each has its place. I really like the 20 gauge for bird hunting and small game and I the .28 gauge is one of my special favorites for dove. Something about the 28 gauge seems to just work, throwing the perfect patterns. But for an all around gun, the 12 gauge is the one for me. It can do anything that a 20 gauge can do but better, except loose weight.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I grew up with a 12 gauge but over time switched to the 20. I use it for small game and the 12 is just too powerful for squirrels and isn't really needed for doves. A lot of times I would have to hiss at a squirrel and get it to back off so I could shoot it with a 12 without dusting it. I bought a CZ side by side 20 gauge and love it for small game. I think a 12 is good for ducks since they are bigger and farther away, but overall the 20 is plenty.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The 12 ga. is all I grew up with and really all I know. I've never had anything else. I might be missing out by not trying, using, owing something else, but it's worked for me whenever I needed it.
Old Law Dawg
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Unless you're hunting geese, it seems to me a 20 can do anything a 12 can just as well. The big advantage of the 12 over the 20 is the variety of ammo and reloading components available. For instance, I just got into reloading shotgun slugs and there are a lot more components available in 12 ga than 20.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I was a "yout", I used a 12ga exclusively for all fur and feathered game - then as I got older/fatter/lazier, I became enamoured with smaller/lighter/svelte guns, and started using a 20ga.

Today, I no longer own a 12ga, but have a few 20's & .410's.

My 20ga Ithaca Deerslayer has never lost me a deer yet, and I still get just as many feathers with a 20, as I did with a 12ga.

gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Got them all and will be fine if I never fire a 12 again. Shot them for years at tournament trap and that is enough . I use my 20 Beretta for ducks and geese, and upland birds one of 28's kills them graveyard dead if I'm doing what I should be doing.I will on occasion take 410 but over the years use only 3" for dove because just haven't got the performance out of 1/2 oz. shot that I want and I really hate losing a bird that is hit to any degree so I just throw in a 28 and be done with it. I load 3/4 oz. 28 ga. loads for a ruger O/U , 870 express , and a H&R 28 single barrel. Last few years I have found that I usually take the single barrel because I shoot much better percentages with it and that is how I was raised .Went a few years w/ the "can't get anything if you don't get some lead in the air " theory :D , but any more I much prefer to shoot the best percentages that I can .I may take 28 and start shooting ducks over decoys , they darn sure will kill a duck...... 28's for me .......plenty of gun and I really love shooting them ,over all the others.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

12 ga in 870, 37 and 11-87 but the handiest and most natural pointing is the 20 ga. 870 Express. It does everything I need to do with a shotgun. I don't hunt ducks or geese.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

What with the improvements made in 20ga ammunition (i.e., deer slugs, shot) over the last few years I can see why a guy/gal would go to the 20ga for most of their shotgun shooting to include dove, pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, and other such small game to include deer too. Heck even a 410ga will do for those purposes except maybe deer. However, the 20ga let alone the 410ga isn't worth a toot for duck and geese and some pheasant hunting. I don't hunt duck and geese much anymore (the old bones can't take the cold and wet anymore) but that was my prime use for a shotgun back in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s when I would hunt every day of the duck and geese season. Although I've had a few different brands shotguns over the years, I now own only three shotguns -- all 12ga Remington 870s. I use them mostly for what I and some of my shooting friends call a "jump gun" which entails walking through the sage brush perhaps along the railroad tracks and jumping jack rabbits or whatever else we happen to scare up.

Now another reason for the advantage of a 12ga over a 20ga is in my opinion is "Coyote Hunting" and I still do a lot of coyote hunting/calling. A 12ga 3" #4 Buckshot shell contains 41 pellets which is far more than a .20ga shell of any size holds. Also the .12ga 3" BB shell holds quite a bit more pellets than a comparable .20ga holds. Heck, I'm not even sure you can get a .20ga shell with BB much less #4 Buckshot but since I don't use .20ga, I really don't know. One of you guys that knows please chime in here.

A growing fad seems to be Turkey Hunting and the .20ga sure as heck is effective as far as I've been able to see when out and about during turkey season. One of the daughters of a guy I hunt with used a .20ga this past year (a Mossberg) and got two turkeys with it. One during the Spring Season and one during the Fall Season.

Lastly, a .12ga is what I grew up with as a kid during the 1940s and 1950s when getting my teeth wet or is it feet wet while trailing my Dad, Uncles, and friends through the fields and duck/geese blinds.

To sum up, I think a .12ga is most desireable for duck, geese, long range pheasant, and coyote hunting but I think the .20ga is enough for all other game including deer as the deer slugs for the .20ga on the market today are greatly improved even over the slugs of 8-years ago or so.

A more perplexing question is -- Whatever happened to the ole "Sweet Sixteen" 16ga?

One last thing. I'm not recoil sensitive so that is not a factor in my choice of gauges; however, I will say those danged 12ga 3½" shells push the envelope a bit. They're nasty!!!!
ED
Yer never too old
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Mossberg 500 20 guage, ghost ring sights, Vang comp, lengthened forcing cone, side saddle ammo carrier, for social occasions.
High Standard Flite King for birds ( in 20 guage ).
LC Smith 12 guage double ( gift from unk )
Double barrel hammer gun 12 guage for cowboying
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I could be happy with a 20 except for one thing. Coyote hunting as Modoc Ed pointed out. Also, the worst kickin gun I have ever fired was a 20 double a freind used to hunt with 25 years ago. He talked me into pulling both triggers at the same time. Being young and foolish I did and guess what? It hurt!

LK
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Me shoot both many years.

12 gauge bigger more pellets.

Me like 12 gauge.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

For 12 ga. I only have two left. My Handi/12 ga. barrel & the Savage 311 SXS.

The rest are all 16 ga. It only took me 40 years to decide the 16 is the best of all.
16's will do eveything a 12 will do and will exceed a 20 ga. in every respect.

"Hits like a 12, shoots like a 20"

http://www.16ga.com

BTW; the 16 is not dead, and ammo is available from Winchester, Federal & Remington.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Lefty Dude wrote: BTW; the 16 is not dead, and ammo is available from Winchester, Federal & Remington.
The 16 gauge is a sweet shooter; I used one as a boy. But you don't see it much anymore. A relative uses one for turkey hunting, but he complains that it is expensive to load, because of the price of the hulls in today's market.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

12-gauge.

Some of my neighbors are grizzly bears. Others are wolves.

I can shoot light, 'universal' target/game loads, or 3 1/2" shells loaded with 600-gr. slugs or 000 Buck, and everything in-between.

Pheasants, grouse, chukars & sage hens never complain about being gunned by a 12...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Well I started with, and still own, a Mossberg 500 12ga. Rugged, solid, durable, and works every time I pull the trigger or rack that slide. I use it for Nevada chukar, since it has a sling and already has a lifetime of dings/dents, waterfowl with heavy loads, and for the occasional sporting clays shoot. A few years ago, I started pining away for a fine 20ga O/U. Wanting an American-made piece, I went with a Ruger Red Label. Best $1400 I ever spent...well almost. Carries like it's not even there, swings beautifully, and has been just as reliable as my Mossberg. However, it is so darn pretty, I'm afraid to scratch it so I keep it confined to the pheasant, quail, and trap fields. Plus the reduced recoil is quite nice as well.

Now I'm keeping my eye out for a nice Belgian Browning A5...I'd prefer a 16ga just for the heck of it, but a nice 12 would do nicely thank you.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

My 16 Ga side by side Baikal is my grouse hunting choice, and it does OK on trap as well. It's lighter than its 12 ga big brother, and handier than my 870 express 12 ga. But I like all 3, and shoot the 12's on clay birds more than the 16. Too bad more people don't use the 16-it's a great guage.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have a rem 870 20ga Wingmaster that belongedto my Dad. I bought it from him a long time ago. I bought it because that way it was mine, not a borrowed gun. If I had of borrowed it Dad might of sold it to someone else and that wouldn't do. Most of my partridge (ruffed grouse) are shot with that gun. Points like a finger. I also have a coach gun in 20 ga real good in the dirty stuff. I only use my 12 ga for geese now as ducks don't really turn my fancy any more. If I was to hunt ducks though,a quick 20 ga with #4 steel would easily do the job.
I have never used the 20 for deer, but I know it shoots slugs close enough to do the job.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

the 12 can do anything the 20 can do, and more . the 20 can't do the same. if i wanted a truly lightweight upland game double i'd go with a 20. otherwise the 12 does it all. i have a savage 20 guage 3" over a 22lr. that makes a sweet fall season turkey gun, especially with the extremely expensive HEVI-SHOT loads.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

20 ga for everything you cant beat a gentlemen's shotgun for upland birds works for ducks and geese to, would love to find a small frame 410 sxs for fools hens maybe a spanish made 410. danny
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

Given the choice (and I have the choice), I prefer 16. Shoots like a 20, hits like a 12.

Now, given the TEOTWAWKI scenerio theorized, then, unless I had a BUNCH of primers for a bunch of 16ga brass hulls, I'd say 12ga because it is ubiquitous as a combat gun in Govt and will always have more OEM ammo available - including SIM & LtL munitions...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

Lefty Dude wrote:For 12 ga. I only have two left. My Handi/12 ga. barrel & the Savage 311 SXS.

The rest are all 16 ga. It only took me 40 years to decide the 16 is the best of all.
16's will do eveything a 12 will do and will exceed a 20 ga. in every respect.

"Hits like a 12, shoots like a 20"

http://www.16ga.com

BTW; the 16 is not dead, and ammo is available from Winchester, Federal & Remington.
Well, I guess I should have read Pg 1 first... I'm glad I'm not the only 16er...

Ammo is also available from Estate and Polywad (especially important if you have a 2.5" gun...)
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

When going for upland birds, my Winchester Mod. 12 20ga is the one I reach for. I can pack it all day without my arms getting sore. :D
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dawei

Post by dawei »

I use my 16ga SxS and a 20ga SxS for all of my upland work; Grouse, Pheasant, Quail, and Rabbits. I use a Mossberg® Mdl 500 20ga pump for Turkey & Waterfowl. That 20ga w/Hevi•Shot™ is a Goose & Turkey killer Supreme!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I have 12 and 16 guage guns. The 16 is my favorite because it is really quick to the shoulder and on target. Years ago, when I was in college, a buddy and I were hunting pheasant and both had 2 birds. As we were driving down a road, we spotted a rooster out in a field. My pal said, " I'm going to get my limit before you!" We parked, let the dog out, and approached the birds location. When the bird got up, I shot fast, the bird dropped, and I turned to my buddy and saw that he was still trying to get his 12 guage to his shoulder!

On longer shots, a 12 is nice because of the increased amount of shot, but if shooting over a dog, a 16 is fine, albeit a little more spendy to buy ammo for. Around here, it isn't easy to find shot shells for the 16.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KirkD wrote: I started hunting groundhogs with that 20 gauge and was very surprised to find that it seemed to be just as effective as a 12 Ga. I've killed a lot of groundhogs with that 20 Ga, usually at about 25 yards. Works just fine.
Around here, we eat the groundhogs, so we use .22's or such so as not to pick out all the pellets. :wink:

I prefer 12 gauge only because I'm NOT a shotgun-hunter or afficionado. We had a pinpoint-accurate heavy barrel breakopen 20 gauge back before IN went to 'rifle' deer seasons, and it was a good 'deer' gun, though. The only other 'purpose' for our shotgun is home-defense, in which case a 18" cylinder-bore pump Mossberg does fine (or at least, supposedly does, thank God we've never had to fire it in such a situation).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I like both the 12 and 20. The 20 is great for birds and other small game, and it will certainly do well with slugs for deer. It's definitely more sleek and nimble. It's my choice. However, as in the other thread, if I only had one gun it would be a 12 gauge. It can just do a little more.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I started with a 20, and when I went to the 12 shortly thereafter I noticed that I broke more clay birds and killed doves more consistently. That and I always thought it's what the cowboys and lawmen used in the Old West so I was prejudiced in that way. It gets the job done and gives you a little more room for error.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

I presently have 2 12s and 2 20s. My grandfathers old Ithaca sxs 12 gauge and a mossberg 500 12 gauge with 3 barrel(the 30" it came with,a 20 " cylinder bore and a 27" with adjustable choke) in 20s i have a Winchester 1500 auto and a savage model 24c campers special with a 22 lr barrel on top. I find I use the 20s more these days because i don't like the kick of a light 12 any more
GIT 'R done
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

This has proved very interesting. It would seem a lot of us stick with what we started with and some prefer bigger, better and some smaller, lighter. This is my take on some of this. When shooting shot, the load reaches X fps. Now we all know that 12 and 20 can and do shoot the same fps on a given load, the 12 just has some more pellets. Once the pellet leaves the barrel, they don't care what they were shot out of or how many Buddy's they left the barrel with. Each pellet has X energy. So a 12 ga., shooting at say 1200fps, has the same energy per pellet as a 20ga. shooting the same 1200. Now it's down to pellet count. This, to me, is the only real difference between the two shells. The 20 field load averages 7/8oz. to 1oz and the 12 field load averaging 11/8oz. to 11/4oz. This is where I go off the beaten path in logic. In my world I use the full choke almost exclusively. Why? Because I have shot the shotgun so much in my life that I am confident enough in my shooting ability to want the tightest pattern possible. If I miss, I want it to be from poor marksmanship and not holes in the pattern from too wide a spread. I have stood side by side with enough 12's at the trap line to know that my 20 in my hands will shoot with most any 12 in another's hands. So it's not the gun. For slugs, the 20 averages about 350 grains and the 12 averages about 440 grains. The concept that a 20ga shooting a 350 grain slug at 1500 to 1600fps [over twice the mass of a 30-30] is inadequate for bigger game is not realistic. Huge amounts of energy there. Heck, even the .410 shoots 240ish grains at 1300 to 1500fps. In the end the 20 still reigns supreme for me but from time to time I still pick up a 12.
Click Click Boom
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I bought my Rem 870 12ga when I was 18, about 38 years ago now. It is still the most used shotgun I own. Its been used on everything from squirrels to deer, it does it all.

I like the 20 too though, I recently picked up an old Stevens 5100 SxS 20ga double. Even older than me. No finish left, but it locks up nice and tight. Don't know a lot about it, the barrels are not even marked for choke but I think mod and full. Look forward to giving it a try this weedend.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

It does my heart good to see the almost-forgotten 16-ga. get its due from so many posters. Much as I love and rely on my 12, the 16-gauge was and is my first love, when it comes to shotguns.

For many years, I hunted pheasant & chukar with an old Meriden Arms 16-ga., damascus-barreled double. I loaded black-powder ammo for the little beauty, and it never failed me. Finally decided to retire it with honor, and have had several 'working' guns since, but I'll never forget the fun I had with that old double.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Having never shotgunned, I still won a raffle in the Navy and was the new owner of a Remington 870 Express in 16 guage. I probably should have kept it, as it's likely a collector's piece. But on the advice of some "old salts", I went back to the Navy Exchange and swapped it for a 12. Thought about a 20, but again, on the advice of some "old salts", they said the 20 would actually kick harder than the 12 due to size of the receiver and the shot charges were the same.

After I ended up with two doubles, one each in 12 & 20, I feel they were right. Which is why when my son got his first shotgun for cowboy action shooting, it was a 12.

The twelve can do everything a 20 can, and more. I can load it up with everything from 3/4 oz loads to 1-1/2 and from 1-1/2 dram to 3+ dram equivalents.

@ 6' & 210, any recoil from a 12 is ok, and whether it be my Marlin 1897 30" pump, or the 20" Stoeger coach gun, they point and swing fine. Used a Ruger Red Label in 20 for skeet and really liked it... might find one someday, or... will gladly accept contributions. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

I have no real preference between 20, 16, or 12. It is the gun that determines what gauge I use. If I still had an 870, it would be a 20. However, I had 2 SxSs a few years ago. One was a 5lb 14oz 20, and the other was a 6lb 8oz 12. The 12 is what I use today. The 20 was not enough gun. Not in ballistics, just not physically enough gun for me to shoot well. What the heck, I still don't shoot well.

I shoot "20 ga" loads in my 12, BTW: 7/8 or 1 oz quality shot at about 1200 fps unless steel or bismuth is indicated. However, for larger shot payloads, the 12 would offer the ballistic superiority, even though it may not be really noticed in the field under most hunting conditions.

My opinion (worth about two cents max) is: Determine the gun that fits you best and you shoot best. Then, stick with it, practice, and lust for no others.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I grew up shooting a very light little Frenchi 20ga semi-auto. It did work pretty good, and was light to carry, but it kicked like a mule. I once owned a sweet little 20ga singlebarrel, samething it kicked like a mule. I had a nice, light 20ga over and under, years ago, and it kicked like a mule. Now, I have shot several heavier 20's that did not kick bad at all, but they were as heavier then my light 12gages. However, the right twenty does make a sweet handling gun.

The sweetest handling gun I ever had was a sleek little 28ga side by side, and it killed about as good as a twenty. I used it for one season on pheasant, and it killed all out of proportion to it size as long as the range was not much more then 25 to 30yds, but I finally gave up on it, because it was worthless, when it came to backing up someone else who missed, due to range limitations.

I had a Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen for a while, and it was a fine gun, which I liked much better then the twenty. One thing I really liked was the fact that 16 gage shells are slightly bigger and eaiser to load in a tubular magazzine then the 20ga shells. The other thing I don't like about the 16 is ammo is harder to find, and usually more expensive.

I would rather have a light twelve gage double of better then average quallity, then about anything. Shells can be found in more variations, and in better price ranges, then anything else. And if you run out, most usually someone else always has some extra twelve gage shells. And I really thing the 12 gage is softer shooting, for the payload, then the Twenty. The shot collumn is bigger, and I believe that is the key. I now probably own over a dozen shotguns, and they are all in 12 gage. But if the right, 16 or maybe 20 side by side came along, and I am not talking about cheap $500 dollar junk, then I just might buy one, but it's got to be proportioned correctly, and most are not.
NRA Life Member, Patron
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have all 12's a Franchi 612 3", a 870 Express Magnum with 20" barrel and 24" rifled barrel, a 1897 Winchester made in 1907 and still makes regular trips to the field, a Baikal SxS 12ga for cowboy stuff an home defense, a Mossy 835 with 24" barrel, and 24" rifled barrel, and finally a Win. 1400 that my grandpa gave me (it's semi-retired)
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Lets not forget the loads available for the 12ga, everything from the 1 3/4" Aguilia Mini-shells to the 3.5" all of the fun ammo like the shredder and others and slugs to take anything from crickets to T-Rex!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

i have to say 12 it is the most common so you can get ammo any place, and now they have light recoil loads and slugs, and for dangerous game they have some very potent loads now, so for versatility sake i say 12ga.
kurra_hunter
Levergunner

Post by kurra_hunter »

I grew up with the sweet ol 16, so that's my pick. From about 7-8 years old I think I was I carried that gun around everywhere around the prairie where we lived and it was always there for shooting or hunting. Lots of good times with that shotgun. However, these days I like the 12 gauge as well as the 16. But my grandfather's old 16 gauge single-shot break-open shotgun was the first gun that I received as my own when I was a young kid, and it served me well for years and years until I finally got a 12 gauge Rem 870 Wingmaster pump when I was 18 or so. I didn't even have a .22 or a rifle back then, just the 16, and didn't start rifle shooting till I was quite a bit older. Since then I've been through a couple 12 gauges and there seems to be more ammo availablility for the 12 these days but I still like that ol 16 gauge.