OT: Star Trek, the 2009 version

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Star Trek, the 2009 version

Post by J Miller »

The 2009 movie version of Star Trek just came out on video last Tuesday.
My wife bought a copy on DVD.

I found it very enjoyable and entertaining. There is enough twists and turns to keep any Star Trek fan mesmerized. It is an alternate reality version that changes some of the old traditional time lines but that's not unusual for Star Trek. The actors they used to portray TOS characters were well chosen. Especially Spock. I've seen every episode of every series and every movie, and I found this one to one of, if not the best of the movies.

The special effects were done by George Lucas' Industrial Light and Majic and were just about incredible. There is even a cameo of R2D2 in there if you can find him.

I give this movie 2 Leverguns up. Go buy it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Star Trek, the 2009 version

Post by Thunder50 »

Gotta wait, suspect that its going to be in my Christmas stocking.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

We go see maybe 2 movies a year (always at the 1/2 price matinee)...

The new Star Trek was one of this year's. (Don't remember the other - therefore it was unimportant & not worth seeing...)

I agree with Joe. I give it a Full Tube. (Leverguns Rating scale: No Ammo, One Round, Half Tube, Full Tube)

Though it's gonna be tough on Spock for this Timeline to manage "Amok Time"... :?
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

It was indeed worthy of the title and legacy.

I watched more than half of the movie on the big screen, which really brought in the special effects. The guy next to me told me that at the last moment he decided not to wear his Star Trek suit. He was a nice enough fellow; but could not stop talking and gushing over the movie.

He went on and on how he and James Doohan (the original Scotty, the engineer, recently deceased) were good friends because he met with him at several conventions, etc. He and the many old-time Star Trek devotees, some in uniform, roared at appropriate moments in the theater (and perhaps a bit too much, at times), as when a man turned around and you saw that it was an old Leonard Nimoy (original Spock); or when the first doctor quip was heard - "I'm a doctor, not a...". Now, that was indeed funny and nostalgic.

My wife had more than she could stand and so she up and moved, apparently thinking that I saw her. I didn't; I thought she was going to the ladies' room. After 20 minutes I got worried - searched the theater, had the management search the ladies' restroom, and so on. Made a sweep of the theater in the dark. My next move was to ask the management to turn up the lights; but I found her sitting blissfully in an aisle seat, watching the movie (which she tolerated; she's not a hard core fan like I am).

I admit to being ticked off after having been worried. I took her by the arm and said, "Come on - we're going!" since I was too angry to enjoy the rest of the movie after wondering about her having had a serious health incident or having fallen to foul play. Fresno has more than its share of losers, nuts and gang-bangers, so that is a real concern. Yes, with the carjackings that go on, I carry a concealed piece to the movies.

OK - so.... I watched the whole movie with a Netflix rental just two days ago and I really enjoyed it. But the theater screen had brought out so much more detail that I would recommend watching it at least on one of those new-fangled big screen TV's. Just don't invite somebody over who wants to tell you about what he does at Star Trek conventions.

The DVD's Special Features has a clip that describes the way that the Producer - "JJ" Something - used some novel techniques to add depth to the move. He physically banged on the camera during several action scenes, which added some realism with the jolting of the frames. And he had the gaffers (or whatever they are called) reflect light from big mirrors into the sides of the camera lenses during several shots to add flares of light and texture to many scenes. Although the opening scene of the ship had heightened drama because of this technique, it was overdone in the movie, and I found the frequent flares of light to be a little annoying and distracting after a while. But it was innovative.

There was a good blend of the old Star Trek traditions and lore, keeping the faithfuls happy; but there were a few non-sequiturs. For instance, in one scene the Enterprise fires several cannons along the top of the saucer in machine gun mode at the bad guys. These were not in existence in the original series or previous movies, and they fired quite noticeably faster than is seen in previous movies and TV episodes.

Another major departure from the original series is a clearly defined love interest that develops between leading characters that never existed or was even hinted in the original Star Trek episodes or earlier movies. I won't spoil the plot and reveal who - but I thought that it was inappropriate for the sake of that fairly large segment of fans who have created a cult out of the series - they won't like this change in the lore at all, I don't think. I met a few of these folks that day at the theater, and they take this stuff very, very seriously. Why spoil their dream? It would be like John Wayne saying, "Please don't hurt me, I'm a married man" in a bar brawl.

The change to more action, special effects and a faster pace can best be summed up by what "JJ" Something said: Moviegoers of today expect more action; Star Trek might be likened to classical music and Star Wars to rock-n-roll; he did his best to blend the two. I think he accomplished his goal masterfully, since I really enjoyed both Star Trek and Star Wars for what escapism they allow.

All in all, this was a well done movie that should satisfy new, younger sci-fi fans (for the most part) and should please the Trekkies and old geezers like me.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

I didn't find the love interest issue to be a deal-breaker, though it was somewhat suprising.

If you know the Lore about the differences between why the Shipyards/Starfleet moved from SaFran to the landlocked middle of nowhere (Iowa/Arizona amalgam?), there is certainly enough theoretical social shift to create those possible interactions.

I found it Fascinating how they mixed themes from the 1980s comics / Mirror Mirror Lore & the Nero meme to create a "middle way" that made the Earth/Federation have aspects of both to create the whole "new" feel. (Which would also explain the differences in weapons, to include the "gatling phasers", somthing otherwise only seen in ADBs "Starfleet Battles" game...)
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That's why I said: "It is an alternate reality version that changes some of the old traditional time lines but that's not unusual for Star Trek."

Matter of fact the love interest between the two characters was just a minor twist that I found enjoyable.

I kind of liked the green girl Kirk was in bed with, she was cute.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Wife bought it this last Tuesday and we watched it. I really liked it as I grew up on Star Trek, but the love interest between Spock and Uhura kind of blew me away. Spock was always portrayed as being so Vulcan and not showing any emotion other when he was going through the Vulcan rut (don't remember what it was called).
Old Law Dawg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see it again.
I suspect it will a b-day present that's coming shortly. If I can wait another week. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

kimwcook wrote:Wife bought it this last Tuesday and we watched it. I really liked it as I grew up on Star Trek, but the love interest between Spock and Uhura kind of blew me away. Spock was always portrayed as being so Vulcan and not showing any emotion other when he was going through the Vulcan rut (don't remember what it was called).
Pon Farr ... Like I said, Hard to do the "Amok Time" episode remake now...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thunder50 wrote:Gotta wait, suspect that its going to be in my Christmas stocking.
I saw it in the theater, and on a plane. One of the kids will get this for me as a stocking stuffer!

Joe, I liked it too. By changing the time line - with reason/an explanation - it opens up all kinds of possibilities. No limits on future installments.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I just watched it again. After it was over I punched up the commentary.
At the end of the credits they sort of hinted they're considering a sequel.
If they do make one, it should be very interesting.
I think I'll have to watch the whole thing with the commentary on.

Joe
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

J Miller wrote:I just watched it again. After it was over I punched up the commentary.
At the end of the credits they sort of hinted they're considering a sequel.
If they do make one, it should be very interesting.
I think I'll have to watch the whole thing with the commentary on.

Joe
I'm going to have to buy one when they make it to the Rental House $10 rack...

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

watched it today, i laughed alot more than i was supposed to, i think.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

pokey wrote:watched it today, i laughed alot more than i was supposed to, i think.
Anyone,.. who watche(d)(s). Bill Shatner. act Laughed.

So... what, IS, yourpoint? Why Shouldthis be, different?:lol:

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

kimwcook wrote:...the love interest between Spock and Uhura kind of blew me away...
Well, the cat's outta the bag! :lol:
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

OI phones in... wrote:
pokey wrote:watched it today, i laughed alot more than i was supposed to, i think.
Anyone,.. who watche(d)(s). Bill Shatner. act Laughed.

So... what, IS, yourpoint? Why Shouldthis be, different?:lol:
i was supposed to have a point? i didn't get the memo.

really i figure they were trying for serious, more than campy like the old show.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Just watched it for the first time.

I'm a Star Wars guy, but I enjoy Trek. The new one......it was worth it.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I think that therere have been several brilliant retellings of cheap or lousy original movies or series in the recent past.

Superman, Batman, The Hulk, Battlestar Galactica, Transformers, AND Star Trek.

The newer versions are vastly superior. Not so much in the story-line modifications, but due to the advancements of special effects that add to (mostly) known story-lines.

I still like a good western.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

FWiedner wrote:I think that therere have been several brilliant retellings of cheap or lousy original movies or series in the recent past.

Superman, Batman, The Hulk, Battlestar Galactica, Transformers, AND Star Trek.

The newer versions are vastly superior. Not so much in the story-line modifications, but due to the advancements of special effects that add to (mostly) known story-lines.

I still like a good western.

:)

Me too. But did you know that when Gene Roddenberry pitched his idea of Star Trek to the industry mogles in the early 60s he described it as a space western??? Don't make sense to me either.

I have the complete original series on DVD. When we got that three year set I sat down and watched each and every episode in sequence.
It was a treat for me. I was like 14 when the OS was first broadcast and never watched the first season. Buy the time I finally got to watch they were in second season reruns. I watched the third season and was really depressed when the show was canceled.
Add to that the fact we never had a color TV till decades later so until I got the DVD set I had not seen every episode in color. Wow, some of the colors were a bit much.
But it was the acting and the cohesive work of the cast, directors, writers and crew that made that series what it was. The actors, yes even William Shatner, made up for the lack of special effects or big budget.

I'm 57 years old, there has been Star Trek for almost 43 years of my life. From when the last aborted series "Enterprise" was canceled to now, I was going into withdrawal.

I feel better now.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

In the ads today Wally-World is advertising the new "Star Trek" DVD for $9 on "Black Friday". May be worth fighting the crowds to go pick up! :wink:
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Ysabel Kid wrote:In the ads today Wally-World is advertising the new "Star Trek" DVD for $9 on "Black Friday". May be worth fighting the crowds to go pick up! :wink:
Maybe so... I may need a break from packing the U-Haul...