Favorite Mid-Power Level .44 Mag Loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Favorite Mid-Power Level .44 Mag Loads

Post by DixieBoy »

Howdy guys - I didn't want to hijack the "Since everybody's..." thread, but that one prodded me into posting this. I've got a friend who shoots .44 Mag pretty regularly and I want to make up some reloads for him. We're both mid-50's in age and don't need huge fireballs coming out of the muzzle to know that we're having fun.

I've got zero experience loading for .44 Magnum. What are you guys' favorite mid-power loads ? Loads that are fun to shoot, accurate, and in that mid-range area between full power and the cowboy shooters.

Thanks in advance for any help on this. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Favorite Mid-Power Level .44 Mag Loads

Post by 2ndovc »

I've found in "My" .44s that 10 Grns. of Unique and a 240 gr. SWC is a fun, non-abusive and accurate load.
I shoot more of those than just about anything else.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yep, 9-10 gr. of Unique with a 240 cast bullets is a good one for me too.
NRA Life Member
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

2ndovc wrote:I've found in "My" .44s that 10 Grns. of Unique and a 240 gr. SWC is a fun, non-abusive and accurate load.

jb 8)
This is my mid-range load as well.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

2ndovc wrote:I've found in "My" .44s that 10 Grns. of Unique and a 240 gr. SWC is a fun, non-abusive and accurate load.

jb 8)
^^^^ Ditto
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Does anyone use Bullseye?
ED
Yer never too old
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

We are all in agreement. I have been useing 9.5 grains unique forever. Yes, I also have used bullseye. I also had good results with it but it seems I shouldnt have. Thats a mighty small charge ratteling around in a huge case, and it would be easy and disatrious to double charge. I could tell you I used 6.0 grains, but without getting off my butt and turning things upside down in the garage, I am NOT going to tell you that!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

My all-time favorite handgun load, bar none. It is cheap, deadly accurate, easy on the gun and I can shoot it all day with rapid followup shots in a 6.5 inch .44 Magnum (Taurus Model 44SS):
My Load Nr 0001 , in a 6.5 inch .44 Magnum (Taurus Model 44SS)
Magnus 240 gr. #701M SWC-BB Moly (0.43 caliber)
Unique (Alliant) 9.0 gr.; Win Brass; CCI 300 Lg Pistol primer
MV: 1078 fps Actual ME: 619 ft. lbs. COAL: 1.610 in.
Hard Cast and moly lubed, Brinnell 18-20.
Ruger Super Blackhawk 10.5 in. bbl. is 100 fps faster (1171 fps);
25 fps per inch gain.

In a pinch, this would provide more than adequate stopping power as a defense handgun, even though the bullet won't expand.

I have loaded up a prospective new load that looks promising, but as of yet not tested in my firearms as another favorite mid-range load:
Mt. Baldy 250 gr. SWC-Keith, BHN 11 (fairly soft), Unique 10.0 gr., Fed 150 LP primers
QLoad software estimate: MV 1135 fps for 715 ft. lbs. ME
Per Frank at Mt. Baldy - bullet will handle 1200-1300 fps w/out leading
This bullet is too long for rifles; COAL 1.710.
Closer to original Keith formula for .44 Spcl in a Mag case, should provide some hunting expansion. I won't be able to test it until next week or so, at 9.5 and 10.0 grs, initially (that's what I loaded up).
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Unique is a wonderful Mid-range powder for the 44's. And I also use the 9-10 gr. W/ a 240 gr.
For more giddy-up I use 296/H110.

Bulleye is a little to quick for me, also has more muzzle flip.

WW231 would be a better choice than BE, again has more recoil & Muzzle flip.

I always have an eight pounder of Unique under the reloading bench. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Modoc ED wrote:Does anyone use Bullseye?
In .38spls and .45 ACP. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever used anything else in those two cartridges.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Mine is 12gr of Blue Dot and a 240gr Hornady LSWHP. Out of 5 1/2" barreled SBH, this load is very accurate, low recoiling and not so loud as to bust your ears if if you have to fire without earplugs.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My 240 grain bullet and anywhere from 19 to 21 grains of 2400 has worked out well, once I found a crimping die I liked (a .44-40 Lee FCD). 19 grains is very pleasant; 21 not exactly 'hot' in terms of blast or recoil, although it seems to duplicate Winchester 240 JSP factory loads.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

16.3g of VV N110. Just like using 2400, but without the flash, blast, and residue.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

With a 240g LSWC bullet, I generally use 19-21 grains of 2400 like AJ. I also find myself using AA#9 virtually interchangeably with 2400, at 19.5-20 grains for my standard, under max loads. However, I also use 17.5 grains of AA#9 or 10.5 grains of AA#5 for milder loads for plinking. I really like the AA#5 in this application, and it is very accurate.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Most everyone who's posted thus far seems to prefer bullets of around 240 grains. Long ago, when I first acquired a model 94 Trapper carbine, I obtained a 215 grain Lyman mold, #429215. It's a little gascheck, semiwadcutter number that has always fed fine for me, through my trapper and later through an EMF model 92 rifle (pre dorkylawyersafety). I use 2400 powder, between 18 and 21 grains. This little bullet is accurate, doesn't produce as much recoil as its bigger brothers, and doesn't seem to bounce off game at reasonable distances. Accuracy? I mostly use it to plink at clay pigeon fragments found on the 100 yd berm at my range. With the trapper, no problem hitting these orange specs with every shot. I don't have a paper target for "show and tell", but I've been plinking as described with this little load since the late 1980's. I have to admit, the longer EMF rifle seems to do a bit better with the 240 grain loads others have described, but my Trapper likes the little bullet and felt recoil is minimal. Good luck.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I never reloaded many 180 grainers, but the factory loads are sure nice and downright 'pleasant' vs. the 240 grainers.

I always thought they'd do well on deer, seeing as the 180 grain .357's do so well. Bigger hole, too. OTOH some say lower cross-sectional density vs. the 240's makes them 'inferior' for deer, despite the wider meplat.

Me thinks they'd do just fine. It's nearly always shot PLACEMENT first, bullet construction second, and all the other MVsquared stuff later... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

180 grain bullets are for sissies!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The 44/240 gr. bullet is longer, grabs the rifling better for stability. Thus is more accurate, than the lighter weight bullets.
This is why we use them. Do some testing beyond 100 yards, you will also be a believer in the big 240/250.
SASS# 51223

RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

I'll second Unique. Ranier 240gr fp ,10 gr. Unique
Nice pleasent load .
Ron
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

Cast 255 gr. sized .430 with 9 gr. Unique, Federal std. primer. Works for me!
Happy Trails!
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Oh yeah, a 240SWC ahead of 10gr unique, my favorite load in my blackhawk. For and even lighter plinking round a 200gr RNFP cowboy bullet ahead of 8gr unique is accurate and a lot of fun.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Wow ! Thank you all. Something I've noticed in the responses: it seems like you all stick with the standard large pistol primer, not the magnum primer.

This seems to make sense in a mid-range load. Is that the thinking there ? - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

DixieBoy wrote:Wow ! Thank you all. Something I've noticed in the responses: it seems like you all stick with the standard large pistol primer, not the magnum primer.

This seems to make sense in a mid-range load. Is that the thinking there ? - DixieBoy
Simplistically speaking, it is almost always best to match the primer, or at least the primer type, with the well established loads, and a lot safer. This will help assure consistent ignition and velocities and prevent pressure problems.

Checking with any number of recipe books from the powder manufacturers, bullet makers, and other well established sources, you will see that some slower burning powders like Win 296 will frequently call for a magnum primer in a handgun load; but not Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot or other relatively fast burners.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

TedH wrote:Yep, 9-10 gr. of Unique with a 240 cast bullets is a good one for me too.
That's my load too.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

My favorite lighter load is this:

8gr POWER PISTOL
240 cast
44mag cases
950 fps more or less from a 4" 629

TECH NOTES:
This is a max 44Special load in the Alliant handbook.
I seat the bullets deep, crimping over the front of the first driving band.
This takes up the extra room the 44 Mag cases causes, giving a more efficient burn, ala MacPherson.
Very accurate, and at 950fps, I'd use it on a deer within 50 yards.
Recoil is similar to a 1911 with hardball. Enough to know you've shot a gun, but can do so all day long and not have to soak your hand when you get home. That and your hand will work the next day too.

You can cut back even more on powder if needed.

- Brian
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I use one Large Pistol Primer for all my 44 reloading. The Winchester LPP is a standard/Magnum Primer.
SASS# 51223

Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

8.5grs of Unique, Laser Cast 240gr SWC, with Federal LP primers. It works well in my Wrangler .44 or my 4" 29-3.

I also use the Mt. Baldy 250gr Keith bullet in the 29-3, with 19.5grs of 2400. Too long for the Winchester, though.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Lefty Dude wrote:I use one Large Pistol Primer for all my 44 reloading. The Winchester LPP is a standard/Magnum Primer.
Ditto. Sure makes it easy without any lack of performance.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Idiot wrote:
Lefty Dude wrote:I use one Large Pistol Primer for all my 44 reloading. The Winchester LPP is a standard/Magnum Primer.
Ditto. Sure makes it easy without any lack of performance.
Yup. Winchester LPP primers are all I've ever used in 44 mag reloading.