Feelin' old

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Feelin' old

Post by jnyork »

I guess it finally had to happen. Saw my first advertisement for a "vintage AR-15" today, on another board. Kinda gave me that "just swallowed a big rock" feeling like the first time a waitress asked me if I wanted the senior citizens menu! :shock: :D

Re: Feelin' old

Post by COSteve »

jnyork wrote:I guess it finally had to happen. Saw my first advertisement for a "vintage AR-15" today, on another board. Kinda gave me that "just swallowed a big rock" feeling like the first time a waitress asked me if I wanted the senior citizens menu! :shock: :D
If she asked you if you wanted one rather than just giving you one, then you aren't old enough yet to worry. :lol:

My wife and I felt old when we visited a museum recently that had a some common household 'antiques' displayed. We both kept pointing out items and saying, "Hey, we had one of those at home when I was a kid!" Now that makes you feel old. :roll:
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

It won't be too much longer before the BATF&E will be classifying me as a "Curio and Relic"!! :o
ED
Yer never too old
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You want a humbling experience?
Try cutting wood with your 83 year old uncle, and he can keep up with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hey, lighten up on the senior citizen menu crack. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I've had guys at work ask me about phone numbers or passwords and my standard answer is BR549. At least it used to be until I got tired of explaining the question marks away... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

awp101 wrote:I've had guys at work ask me about phone numbers or passwords and my standard answer is BR549. :lol:
Yeah you gotta love Juniors car lot, wish I had a few of them cars now, not to mention the salesladies he had :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I felt old years ago when my daughter asked me if we had color tv when I was a kid. I had to tell her we didnt even have black & white tv when I was a kid.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Old Savage wrote:Hey, lighten up on the senior citizen menu crack. :D
Hey, I was only 51 at the time!! :o :lol:
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

You know you are getting old when your arthritis stops you from doing stuff and your arthritis tells when the weather is going to change.
You know your old when the pills you take make you full and you don't need to eat your meal.
You know your are getting old when you can't remember what you did five minutes ago or why you did.
You know you are old when you see a pretty girl and wonder why all the young men druel all over her and will do anything she asks
You know you are old when you have to ask for a younger person to do a task you used to do yourself.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

COSteve wrote:
jnyork wrote:I guess it finally had to happen. Saw my first advertisement for a "vintage AR-15" today, on another board. Kinda gave me that "just swallowed a big rock" feeling like the first time a waitress asked me if I wanted the senior citizens menu! :shock: :D
If she asked you if you wanted one rather than just giving you one, then you aren't old enough yet to worry. :lol:

My wife and I felt old when we visited a museum recently that had a some common household 'antiques' displayed. We both kept pointing out items and saying, "Hey, we had one of those at home when I was a kid!" Now that makes you feel old. :roll:
My wife and I do that all the time. You don't really feel old until some REALLY old folks who happen to be in there with you nod and say, as if you SHOULD know, "weren't those great times?" I also felt old when a teenager asked me how it was when there weren't any cars and we had to ride around in "those". "Those" was a Conestoga wagon! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hobie wrote: I also felt old when a teenager asked me how it was when there weren't any cars and we had to ride around in "those". "Those" was a Conestoga wagon! :lol:
Soooooo, how WAS it riding around in "those"? :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Feeling old is what happens when you stand up and your knees sound like a bowl of Rice Crispies, i.e. they Snap, Crackle and Pop

Of course if you remember who Snap, Crackle and Pop were, you really are old.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Doc Hudson wrote:Feeling old is what happens when you stand up and your knees sound like a bowl of Rice Crispies, i.e. they Snap, Crackle and Pop

Of course if you remember who Snap, Crackle and Pop were, you really are old.
Hey I resemble that remark. I just say it ain't the years its the mileage. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Modoc ED wrote:It won't be too much longer before the BATF&E will be classifying me as a "Curio and Relic"!! :o
That don't sound too bad.

Maybe we can buy, sell & trade guns without a license...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Kitchen appliances as antiques... heck I still have use several! And, yep, I remember my folks buyin' their first TV... and black & white? No, it was a few shades of green! And, my wife & used it for several years! Then the folks gave us their old Sylvania color TV, wow, what an improvement! And to think that I get 210 channels on my satellite and watch a 19" LCD HDTV in my truck!

Go COWBOYS!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

COSteve wrote:My wife and I felt old when we visited a museum recently that had a some common household 'antiques' displayed. We both kept pointing out items and saying, "Hey, we had one of those at home when I was a kid!" Now that makes you feel old. :roll:
I'm only 41, but I do that all the time at antique malls.
Griff wrote:Kitchen appliances as antiques... heck I still have use several! And, yep, I remember my folks buyin' their first TV... and black & white? No, it was a few shades of green! And, my wife & used it for several years! Then the folks gave us their old Sylvania color TV, wow, what an improvement! And to think that I get 210 channels on my satellite and watch a 19" LCD HDTV in my truck!
I get a kick out of telling the younger people in the unit (early to mid twenties) what it was like growing up in rural Ohio in the seventies, with outhouses, party-line telephones, one fuzzy local channel on the b&w tv (we spent most of our time outside anyway).They look at me like I'm from another planet. Makes no sense, since there are plenty of Amish in this area, so the concept shouldn't be that foreign to them.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Getting old is forgetting to take your arthritis pills one day and you can't walk the next day till 3 hours after you take that pill......and if you have done any or all the following, you are old;
went and got in the horses and milk cows before breakfast.
fed the hogs after supper, including the water the supper dishes were washed in.
plowed corn all day with horses.
finished milking after dark.
sawed firewood with a cross-cut saw.
Used a Clinton D-4 chainsaw.
cut pulpwood or firewood with a gasoline bow-saw.
pumped the grindstone for your father/grandfather/uncle to sharpen his axe.
patched inner tubes for a 6.00x16 knobby tire
carried a .22 about everywhere you went when you were 10 yrs old.
owned a wooden rowboat w/oars as the only propulsion
actually used an outhouse on a regular basis with a Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery Ward or Aldens catalog as the only paper (or a box of corncobs)
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I must be one sick hombre, 'cause I like it!

:twisted: I get away with more murder now than I ever did. The older I get, the more antics I'm going to plan. 'Youngins haven't a clue, 'old is better. I do believe I'm real glad I took care of myself when I was younger, don't have the creeky knees or a bad back. Kenpo helped me out there. You pards ought to just get up on your high horse & decide you're going to be the biggest troublemaker that you can be. It's all attitude IMHO. So you're sore, get up anyway & make a dent in this old world. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best to you all...

LB
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm a firm believer in "counting your blessings". Although my first new handgun was an old model Ruger---before they were known as old models. (1972), just take a look at Terry Murbach---he remembers coming over on the "Mayflower".

When Griff started trucking, paved roads were not invented yet :D -------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

JReed wrote:Hey I resemble that remark. I just say it ain't the years its the mileage. :D
heck, I'll go you one further than that.
It ain't the number of times you've been rode hard and put away wet. it is the number of times you were rode hard and not put away at all!!
Now that is what maks you feel old!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

LeverBob wrote:I must be one sick hombre, 'cause I like it!

:twisted: I get away with more murder now than I ever did. The older I get, the more antics I'm going to plan. 'Youngins haven't a clue, 'old is better. I do believe I'm real glad I took care of myself when I was younger, don't have the creeky knees or a bad back. Kenpo helped me out there. You pards ought to just get up on your high horse & decide you're going to be the biggest troublemaker that you can be. It's all attitude IMHO. So you're sore, get up anyway & make a dent in this old world. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best to you all...

LB
In other words you are supporting my long held contention:
You can get away with more BS if people think you are a little crazy.

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Sixgun wrote: just take a look at Terry Murbach---he remembers coming over on the "Mayflower".

When Griff started trucking, paved roads were not invented yet :D -------------Sixgun
Terry Murbach did not arrive on the Mayflower!

he stowed away on Leif Erricsson's ship long before that! i think he was the one who stirred up the Indians to give the English Pilgrims trouble.

And corduroy roads are paved, sort of. It is just paved with logs rather than asphalt! Them things sure wer rough weren't they Griff

Image Image
UNITE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:I'm a firm believer in "counting your blessings". Although my first new handgun was an old model Ruger---before they were known as old models. (1972), just take a look at Terry Murbach---he remembers coming over on the "Mayflower".
And when Sixgun started collecting, the Pennsylvania rifle was a new-fangled idea! :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

In other words you are supporting my long held contention:

Quote:
You can get away with more BS if people think you are a little crazy.

Exactly Right :wink:

I do believe that is one of life's truths. Gives you a lot more leaway pard. It's a plus when people simply disregard you, because you're an old coot!

LB
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

A few weeks ago, several shooters at the range talked about what they 1st learned to drive. When one asked me: I said "Percherons and Belgians".

Received the "Huh" look.

Had to explain that both grandfathers were dairy farmers and had teams. I wasn't old enough to reach the pedals on the tractors, but I was old enough to drive the teams while the wagon was loaded.

I asked them if they ever saw or put hay in loose and worked a horse drawn mower and dump rake. They had no idea what I was talking about.

When I was lad, Billy Cramer had a slick buckboard and a team of matched grays hitched to it. Then there was old Hankey Shuman, who walked to town and really didn't like riding in car or truck. He carried his supplies back in a gunny sack or two gunny sacks tied to the ends of a pole. He had oil lamps in his farm house and a pump in the kitchen to draw water. No radio -- not even a battery operated radio -- or any 'lectric whatsoever. Ol' Hankey looked older than dirt and tougher than railroad spikes....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

COSteve wrote:My wife and I felt old when we visited a museum recently that had a some common household 'antiques' displayed. We both kept pointing out items and saying, "Hey, we had one of those at home when I was a kid!" Now that makes you feel old. :roll:
How about seeing more than one item in an antique store that were wedding gifts?
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

I can remember one family driving a team and wagon to town in the late 40's & early 50's. And L. Kincaid rode a horse into town on Saturdays to bring two milk cans in burlap sacks riding across the horses shoulders. W. Shelton had a yellow model A roadster and he would haul a couple sacks of pig and/or chicken feed in the rumble seat.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: And when Sixgun started collecting, the Pennsylvania rifle was a new-fangled idea! :twisted: :lol:
Ha! Ya like that Griff? :D

Yea, It ain't easy being old dudes like us, but.................it sure beats the alternative :wink: -----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Reading all this reminded me when my parents got our first tv in the late 50's it was a floor model with a 9 inch circular screen and all the stations went of the air at around midnight or so.
I can remember milking the cows by hand when the power went out
I can even remember putting hay in the barn loose stacked as the owner didn't own one of those bailer contraptions.
I can remember picking up potatoes by hand and putting them in burlap bags to be picked up and put on the truck by others and we kids even got out of school to do it and got paid besides
I can remember when you didn't back talk any adult
I can remember when folks didn't have to lock their doors or cars
I can remember when if it snowed real hard and there were drifts it might be a week before you got plowed out and then you might have a really big wall of packed snow at the end of your driveway to shovel out as there were no snow blowers
I can even remember one neighbor who headed with wood got his hot water from the little tank on the side of his wood stove
I can remember outhouses too very drafty in the winter.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

good grief... :?

i remember seeing real u.s. cavalry troopers at ft riley ks in the late 40's... :)
there was NO TV when i was a kid...
i graduate HS in 1960... :o
i trained with an M1 Garand and M1 carbine when in the army...carried the M1 carbine to thailand to phase to VN...the m60 had just been issued to replace the BAR and the M16 was no where in sight :) ...i was issued an M14 later :D ...the old OD uniforms were still in issue...i was issued brown combat boots...we wore side buckle combat boots, too... :roll:

my first car was a '54 chev...(it was 8 years old then)

geeeeeeeeeee...don't need to go on... :roll:
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

donw wrote: i remember seeing real u.s. cavalry troopers at ft riley ks in the late 40's... :)
1840s or 1940s? :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

You know you are old when you remember the prime time tv shows all those actors who now hawk reverse mortgages starred in. Or when half your medication directions say take on an empty stomach and the other half say take with food. Or the fact that your knees don't sound like Rice Crispies until someone helps you up.
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Larsen E. Whipsnade »

"I also felt old when a teenager asked me how it was when there weren't any cars and we had to ride around in "those". "Those" was a Conestoga wagon!"

I can top that one. Shortly after I retired from the police dept., I was out in my garage doing some work. It was a warm day so I left the overhead door up. For some reason, the neighborhood kids always seemed to congregate around me whenever they saw me, and soon I had a half dozen kids in my garage between 6-8 years old. Soon they were peppering me with a thousand questions, like kids that age do. Among others where these gems:

"Are you a cop?"
Not anymore, I used to be but I'm retired now.

"Did you ever shoot anyone?"
No.

"Did anyone ever shoot at you?"
Well, yeah, but that was a long time ago, when I was in the army.

"Oh, you were in the army? Did you know George Washington?" :o :shock:
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

awp101 wrote:
donw wrote: i remember seeing real u.s. cavalry troopers at ft riley ks in the late 40's... :)
1840s or 1940s? :mrgreen:

Must have been the 1840's if it was "late '40's."

The US Cavalry, other than ceremonial units which still exist, gave up their horses in 1943.

Image Image
UNITE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:
Griff wrote:And when Sixgun started collecting, the Pennsylvania rifle was a new-fangled idea! :twisted: :lol:
Ha! Ya like that Griff? :D
Yea, It ain't easy being old dudes like us, but.................it sure beats the alternative :wink: -----------------Sixgun
Yep, Sixgun, I enjoy pokin' a lil' fun now an' then. (understatement of the decade). My last birthday (59th), my Dad called me and said, "Happy Birthday, OLD MAN!" I told him that was like the pot callin' the kettle black. He said "this might be my last chance and I wanted to make sure he had the opportunity to say 'Congradulations' for makin' it." He said he'd planned on telling me that on my 60th, but... then said the most prophetic words I'd ever hear him utter... "I'm getting tired, ain't sure I'll make it."

Yep, the alternative might not be avoidable, but I'll just put it off as long as possible. As I hope my friends can also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

OK ol' Pharts. Can any of you remember;

RAGG MOPP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyANRiqzfio

Spike Jones "And The Winner Is...Feedlebomb" -- a "song" about a horse race.
http://www.tuxjunction.net/spikejones.htm
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ray Newman wrote: Spike Jones "And The Winner Is...Feedlebomb" -- a "song" about a horse race.
http://www.tuxjunction.net/spikejones.htm
Yup - I remember it better than the owner of the website that you cited.

'Cuz it was "Beetlebomb," not "Feedlebomb!"

I remember hearing Spike Jones on the radio and then seeing him later on B/W TV, along with Pinky Lee, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar and Imogen Coca, George Burns and Gracie Allen - that was before Red Skelton (I think) and Jackie Gleason.

Y'all are a bunch of youngsters.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

This fuzzy faced kid was our Assistant Battalion Surgeon for our Marine unit in 1949 - even claimed to have enlisted in the Army Air Force in 1943 as a cadet to be a navigator on a B24 -

As luck would have it, he seems to have matured (OK - aged)

He still has friends who share happy hour with and mooch from him -

Now, what were us youngsters talking about ???? :roll:

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

OJ wrote:This fuzzy faced kid was our Assistant Battalion Surgeon for our Marine unit in 1949 - even claimed to have enlisted in the Army Air Force in 1943 as a cadet to be a navigator on a B24 -

As luck would have it, he seems to have matured (OK - aged)

He still has friends who share happy hour with and mooch from him -

Now, what were us youngsters talking about ???? :roll:

:mrgreen:
Remember what that first Marine told you back in Tunstall's Tavern just after you were sworn in?

"That ain't the way we did it in the Old Corps!"

Image Image
UNITE!