Win 94 Cheyenne Lock up Problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Win 94 Cheyenne Lock up Problem

Post by Arminius »

Hi!

Gut CHEAP a Cheyenne Carbine, a Winnie Commemorative, 20", .44-40 and Tang sight ( that were the reasons I bought it ).

It was used, which is ok, I bought it to SHOOT it.

It doesn´t lock up right - the lever stays somewhat "down" or "low", still the gun is able to be fired.

It´s kinda a "springy" feeling, holding the lever shut.

What shall I do?

Yes, I suspect a Gunsmith is on order, but is it easily curable, or will I need spare parts and lots of €€€?

Thanks for any tips, Hermann
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Win 94 Cheyenne Lock up Problem

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The good thing is with the Winchester you can see the locking bolt come up behind the bolt and see if it is fully engaged. If so, the lever may be sprung so the detent cant hold it closed. There also may be some debris/crud preventing the lever from closing all the way.
There are other reasons for this problem but that is where I would start. Good luck! :D
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

How far is "down"?
The 94 has the trigger block/spring that's designed to hold the lever far enough down when closed to activate the block to prevent pulling the trigger while the bolt's not closed until & unless you deliberately close the lever the last little bit of travel to rest it fully against the lower tang.
It's supposed to feel "springy" in closing that last bit of travel.

Is this what you're refering to?
Or is the lever plunger not engaging and leaving the lever really flopping loose?
Denis
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

Hi!

It´s not as in my other three 94´s, the Lever is "hard" on the last part, and doesn´t raise the Lock fully. And Its a little more force ( not really "force" ) to hold closed.

My other 94´s kinda "lock in" on closing, this one´s not fully. Of course the last "releasing the safety" is there, but that´s absolutely forceless. Just raising the lever.

Sorry, can´t describe it better.

Crud? Hardly possible.

May the Lever or some internal part be bent, because of the foreowner playing with the gun??

Hermann
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hermann,

Lets do this. Pull the stock off and take a real good look at the trigger block and it's spring. If that spring is twisted in the lower tang it will increase the pressure required to push the trigger block up.
Make sure it's not rubbing the sides of the lower tang. The spring should contact only the trigger and the trigger block, nothing else.

Also make sure there is no dirt, crud, debris or solidified oil or grease inside the lower tang. This does not have to come from the previous owners, it can come from the factory.

As for the friction stud on the rear of the lever link, with the lever open push it in and out and see if it moves freely. It should but of course with resistance from the spring. If so OK, if not get some oil and oil it good, then push the spring in and out to flush out any grit that might still be in there.

Also when the action is closed the rear of the link should be very close to the front of the lower tang. If it's not then the friction stud cannot hold the link closed properly.

Check those things and report back.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hard to diagnose without seeing the problem. Equally hard to describe accurately without pictures... two sides of the same coin.

But... yes, the lever COULD be bent... however, if as you say, the trigger block safety is disengaged, is the lower link all the way up? And is the locking lug flush or nearly flush with the top of the receiver?

I'll try to post a couple of pics that show what I mean:

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!