OT -- Greatest movie lines

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

OT -- Greatest movie lines

Post by alnitak »

Here's a good ride down memory lane. Not as many from westerns as I would like to see, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=69DSirS0w30
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT -- Greatest movie lines

Post by FLINT »

Awesome.

Figured I would share my favorite movie line while I'm here - comes from the first dirty hairy movie

[Harry Callahan has to explain why he shot a man]
Harry Callahan: Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy.
The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
Harry Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a ****-**, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
[walks out of the room]
The Mayor: He's got a point.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Thanks,
I was looking for this one as I think it's the best script writing to ever hit Hollywood..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGUqd_M6Mg

It's amazing how many of those lines have become common speech, yet many don't know where they come from.

Ed
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The really 'funny' thing is that a lot of the lines we love so much were localisms, at least, before they ever made it into the movies...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'd say it was when Jurassic Park came out, the line was at least two blocks long on Friday night.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

The scene and quote come from True Grit.. Rooster and Chin Lee have finished dinner and quickly jump to cards...Rooster taking pulls from the jug as they play, later when the somewhat woozy Rooster sees a rat, he draws his pistol and says: “Mr. Rat, I have a writ here says you're to stop eating Chin Lee's cornmeal forthwith. Now it's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of the same. See, doesn't pay any attention to me.” He shoots the rat... the old Tom cat (General Lee IIRC) grabs the rat to eat...Cracks me up every time! a rat writ, writ for a rat... too funny
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

El Chivo wrote:I'd say it was when Jurassic Park came out, the line was at least two blocks long on Friday night.

:lol: :D :mrgreen: :o
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Ben_Rumson wrote: the old Tom cat (General Lee IIRC) g
The cat's name was General Sterling Price.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks Doc!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Kansas Ed wrote:Thanks,
I was looking for this one as I think it's the best script writing to ever hit Hollywood..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGUqd_M6Mg

It's amazing how many of those lines have become common speech, yet many don't know where they come from.

Ed
I might not totally agree, ut I sure won't argue with you.

That was one heck of a good speech!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Good stuff, but among so many films, JUST 100 isn't near enough.

"I'm still here you bast88ds" is missing,

Red's line about hope from "Shawshank" is missing,

and so many other films with multiple great lines are missing, Pachino's speech at the academy in "Scent of a Woman" comes to mind.....
But there are some durn good ones on the reel.....
Certified gun nut
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

adirondakjack +1 !!
WIL TERRY
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very cool...
But not one John Wayne line.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

From Monte Walsh: " I don't think you understand how little I care"
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

A few more gems:

"Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?" Redford/BC&TSK

"They could surrender to us, but I wouldn't count on that." Redford/BC&TSK

"Your superiors huh? That doesn't narrow the field much, now does it?" Eastwood/The Eiger Sanction
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Rommel, you magnificant b******, I read your book!
Patton!
Senior Levergunner

Casabalnca best movie ever made

Post by 2571 »

Several thoughts. Glad they included, "Shane! Come 'Back"

Forgot Red Dawn's, "Avenge me!"

Respectfully disagree withn Ben-Ruson. Better True Grit line was, "Fill your hands you sonafabitch!" or giving word to a pet peeve of mine, "D**n a man that whistles!"
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

Sitting here with Fox News on (The only source I care to use) and being mindful of who is running this country now, a line from Lonesome Dove keeps coming to mind. It was a reply Woodrow made to a remark made by Gus. He said, "Let the pigs ride in the wagon! Lord, I never heard of such a thing".
Politically in this country, I think that's where we are right now. We're letting the pigs ride in the wagon.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

"Excuse me while I whip this out"!
:D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” – The Shootist (1976)

“Well, there are some things a man just can’t run away from.” – Stagecoach (1939)

“All battles are fought by scared men who’d rather be some place else.” – In Harm’s Way (1965)

“Out here a man settles his own problems.” – The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

“Don’t apologize—it’s a sign of weakness.” – She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

“Sorry don’t get it done, Dude.” – Rio Bravo (1959)

“Now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all… your fault, my fault, nobody’s fault… it don’t matter…I’m gonna blow your head off. It’s as simple as that.” – Big Jake (1971)

“That’ll be the day!” – The Searchers (1956)

“I haven’t lost my temper in 40 years; but, Pilgrim, you caused a lot of trouble this morning; might have got somebody killed; and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won’t. I won’t. The hell I won’t!” – McLintock (1963)

“Well, son, since you haven’t learned to respect your elders, it’s time you learned to respect your betters.” – Big Jake (1971)

quote to live by!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Don't forget Gregory Peck in Moby Dick . Ahab’s words:
Aye, aye! It was that accursed white whale that crippled me; I'll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up. And this is what ye have shipped for, men! to chase that white whale on both sides of land, and over all sides of earth, till he spouts black blood and rolls fin out.

Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me.

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
WIL TERRY
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

My kids favorite:

"Why is the Rum always gone?" Pirates of the Caribbean..

Ed
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

"Take your stinking paws off me you darn dirty ape"- Planet of the Apes :lol: :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I knew most of these movies. I guess working at a movie theater and video shop in college paid off! :wink:
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

flatnose wrote:This one always cracks me up.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2b-QJj ... re=related
THAT WAS GREAT!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I can't see what was used on utube because I'm at work, but one of my all time favs
"said I didn't have much use for one, never said I din't know how to use it." I love that! Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

"I coulda been somebody. I coulda been a contenda..."

Marlon Brando in "On the Waterfront"
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
dirtcowboy
Levergunner

Post by dirtcowboy »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” – The Shootist (1976)

“Well, there are some things a man just can’t run away from.” – Stagecoach (1939)

“All battles are fought by scared men who’d rather be some place else.” – In Harm’s Way (1965)

“Out here a man settles his own problems.” – The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

“Don’t apologize—it’s a sign of weakness.” – She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

“Sorry don’t get it done, Dude.” – Rio Bravo (1959)

“Now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all… your fault, my fault, nobody’s fault… it don’t matter…I’m gonna blow your head off. It’s as simple as that.” – Big Jake (1971)

“That’ll be the day!” – The Searchers (1956)

“I haven’t lost my temper in 40 years; but, Pilgrim, you caused a lot of trouble this morning; might have got somebody killed; and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won’t. I won’t. The hell I won’t!” – McLintock (1963)

“Well, son, since you haven’t learned to respect your elders, it’s time you learned to respect your betters.” – Big Jake (1971)

quote to live by!
Thanks for this post! Just this morning my wife told me she wanted a plaque made up with John Waynes' quote from The Shootist for Christmas, I went to close my computer and saw this thread. GREAT!
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Here's as good a translation I've ever found of Gabby Johnson's "authentic frontier gibberish" from Blazing Saddles.

"You get back here you pious, piddly-a** sidewinder. Ain't no way that nobody is gonna' to leave this town. Hell, I was born here, an' I was raished here, an' dad gum it, I am gonna die here an' no sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me biscuit cutter."

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige