OT - Just won a gunbroker auction!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Just won a gunbroker auction!

Post by O.S.O.K. »

:D

Its a Remington 722 from the late 50's chambered for 300 Savage. :)

I've got four boxes of handloads, brass and dies from when I had a Rem 81 - that I sold earlier this year. I liked the 81 but it just didn't speak to me... it was heavy and not too accurate - a cool old rifle but... I'm hoping this slender classic bolt gun will... I intend to put an aperture sight on her - a classic stalking rifle in a classic caliber.

Price was decent at $355 + shipping... it is listed and appears to be in excellent condition.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Just won a gunbroker auction!

Post by awp101 »

Cool! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Nice find! 300 Savage,.... another dieing caliber that refuses to die. :lol: I like it better than 30/30, with the extra umph it has!!
Last edited by 76/444 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Remington 721-722's were the action of choice in the 50's and 60's. They made a lighter custom stocked rifle over the M. 70 Winchester and were strong, smooth actions. I built a 721 in 270 WCF that weighed 7lbs. w/scope and would shoot 3/4" 100 yd. groups all day.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Sweet!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've sold several other rifles to get the funds - have an FAL in the shop right now too... trying to downsize some. But I made the mistake of reading Bryce Townsley's article in the last issue of Rifleman - about using modern bullets in the 300 Savage - he was using a Rem 722.... I normally don't care much for Bryce's writing - and even this article started out by insulting the 30-30... kind of, but it tickled my fancy nonetheless and then I saw this baby on gunbroker... I got if for $24 less than my maximum acceptable bid amount.

I wonder how long I can seat the bullets - and still fit in the mag - I'd like to seat them out to within .001" or so of the rifling if possible. Any thoughts?

Also, I found a Williams WGRS sight that fits the rear factory d/t scope mount holes.... but I think it may put the aperture too high for the front sight - I'd like to just keep the front sight that's on it.... do these come factory d/t'd for a side-mount receiver sight?

Here's the WGRS sight:

I've read good things about this sight here - for leverguns... I will not d/t any new holes or cut the stock... so this may be the best route...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Very nice rifle, you're going to happy! Dang good price too, considering it was on Gunbroker. Not too often that happens.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Very nice. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congratulations!!! :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I've sold several other rifles to get the funds - have an FAL in the shop right now too...
WHAT? Keep the FAL... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice find! Congratulations... The minimum you want to seat a bullet in the case is one bullet diameter...I don’t know if the magazine will be long enough for that or how far off the rifling the bullet may end up.. Good luck
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very Nice! Cool Gun! :mrgreen:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks - and Andrew, the FAL is kinda redundant - I've got, well plenty of fighting rifles... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations, looks in real good condition, sweet :D :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Those are great rifles . My neighbor has one in 257 Roberts. I would rather have that gun than any of the newer Remingtons any day. Specialy at that price.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

A 257 Bob would be sweet. I went for the 300 Sav because I had all of the components and dies and a bunch of loaded ammo for it...

From what I understand (can't find any stats on the 722's) they are pretty light weight - like 6.5 pounds or so.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good for you. A nice sleek looking bolt rifle.
Old Law Dawg
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

thats is sweet.let us know how it shoots.
pete
DAV life member.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Thanks :)

I wonder how long I can seat the bullets - and still fit in the mag - I'd like to seat them out to within .001" or so of the rifling if possible. Any thoughts?

do these come factory d/t'd for a side-mount receiver sight?
Make up a dummy round with a trimmed case and the bullet you're wanting to use, seating it the one bullet diameter stated above. Color the bullet with a black majic marker or dykem and gently ease the cartridge into the chamber closing the bolt. Remove the cartridge gently, don't let it drag down side of the receiver, and look for marks around the circumfance of the bullet where it may have engaged the rifling. Seat it to where it doesn't touch by about .003. That'll be about perfect if you can still get the rounds into the mag, use as least 3 to make sure they feed.

Also a standard 700 trigger will go right on this rifle. Basically the same trigger, the 700's is just better enclosed to keep stuff out.

The gun should be drilled and tapped on the left side of the receiver for other type aperture sights, but you may have to relieve the wood a little depending on the sight. The .300 Savage was a whompus cat in it's day, nothing shabby now.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Thanks Rob. I usually use my comparitor but I don't have the case for 300 Savage, so your method is the way to go. I'll probably turn the bullet in the muzzle to see where the ogive fo the bullet is and then run a marker around that spot - just to make it easy to see the marks.

Good to know about the M700 trigger - I'll see how the one on the rifle feels...

I'm not going to releive the stock for a sight - not when the WGRS sight is available - just hope it adjusts low enough to work with the stock front sight - if not, I'll install a taller one...

I found that the two inaugeral chamberings for the 722 were 257 Bob and 300 Sav. The Bob has a OCL maximum of over 3" while the 300's is 2.7", so if they use the same receiver set-up for both, there may just well be some extra room in the mag...

If not, no sweat - just would be nice to be able to seat them out a bit longer than standard...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

With camming power of a bolt gun don't be too surprised if an over length round leaves the bullet stuck in the rifling upon extraction of the round... Good luck sneaking up on the LOA!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, before I lock the bolt, I insert the round by hand and see if it meets any resistance....
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!