Restoring a 95 Winnie?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Restoring a 95 Winnie?

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I've been thinking of having my 95 restored. It shoots really good, and I'm thinking that it needs to look as good as it shoots. What do you guys think? Here are a few pics of it right now:
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Restoring a 95 Winnie?

Post by Mich Hunter »

If she is still tight and shoots good, leave her alone. The finish just shows where she has been and shows character. If it were missing parts and bore was gone, then I would say yeah. but, it's your to do what you wish.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

It's as tight as Uncle Scrooge.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Get some "stainless" or "copper" wool and solvent, rub down the metal. Thats all I would do. Don't use steel wool!
"That'll Be The Day"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Do as rr7 says, but protect the wood, or remove it first. You'll be "susprized" at the outcome. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

What type of solvent? Regular bore solvent?
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

All M. 95's are not considered rare as collectibles. Of course there are special options on many that would make them more valuable than others. It's value to collectors will be lost, but if you don't care about that aspect, I would say go ahead. It's your gun to enjoy, and not a gun in it's current condition that needs to be stuffed into a gun safe for future generations.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

What caliber?

Reason I ask, is that if it is a tougher to find caliber, leave it alone. If it is a Krag, or 06 etc I would say that it is a prime candidate for a resto. There are several on this forum that do nice reasonable work and I would contact them about the resto. Usually I'm not into refinish, but that rifle has no finish left, and is probably good for getting redone. As it is, the finish or lack of has hurt the value enough that unless it is a hard to find caliber you won't get hurt on the redo.

Ed
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

It's a standard issue 30-40Krag with 28" barrel. Not like it's one of the odd balls or rarities.

Recommend me someone too.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

rangerider7 wrote:Get some "stainless" or "copper" wool and solvent, rub down the metal. Thats all I would do. Don't use steel wool!
I'd use Hoppes No. 9 for the rub down and finish up with a rub down of RemOil using a soft flannel cloth/cheese cloth.
ED
Yer never too old
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Who on here is good with restorations? I'd rather send this thing to a fellow levergunner.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

shawn_c992001 wrote:Who on here is good with restorations? I'd rather send this thing to a fellow levergunner.
That would be Mike Hunter of Hunter Restorations. Several of us can attest to the quality of his work. Top notch all the way. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Mike has done some work for me. That would be who I would trust to do it. Take my advise. If your going to have it restored, go with a guy or company that you have done the research on.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

And unfortunately he doesn't work on 95's.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Shawn

Yes unfortunately I don't do 1895s, biggest reason is that I don't have any parts for them screws etc, nor any of the roll markings.
Now if it was a 66,73,76,85, 86, 92 or 1894 or Colt SAA I could help you out

Mike
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Thank you Mike, you'll be glad to know you were the first I asked, and as you can see above you came highly recommended!!!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I just gave this thing a good scrubbin' and oilin' as directed above, and I believe it is just to far gone to mess with. There are some places too deeply pitted all over to obtain a nice blueing. I'm kinda kicking around the idea of a matte blue, but don't thing it would look all that hot on a 95 Win. Inside the barrel isn't the best either, not sewer pipe, but far from prestine also.

Hmmmmmm............
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, if it's too far gone and you're gonna throw it away, throw it my way.
I'll take it in and care for it. :wink:

Address the package to:

Joe's Winchester Retirement Resort
1894-5 S 308 ST
Springfield, IL 62703

Seriously though, a new barrel can be had. And for a working, hunting, truck type of of gun, what's wrong with a mat blue? If I had that old carbine I'll look for a replacement barrel and have it bead blasted and blued.

After all, you sure can't hurt it by using it now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

It's going to be far from thrown away!!! Just going to have to persue other options.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

You may give Wind River Rifle a call. They do Winchester restoration work.

My 303 brit 1895 has been restored and has replacement wood. It is a beautiful rifle and gets a lot of field time. I don't worry too much about scratches or dings, or normal wear, because it's already been "wrecked" from a collectors standpoint.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to determine who did my rifle. It is an outstanding restoration and requires very close inspection of the metal to distinguish it from orginal. In fact, to this day I'm not entirely certain it is redone, aside from a double-strike proof and a shallow roll stamp. The bluing looks Winchester and the edges are crisp.

Anyway, I vote for the restoration. I have owned zero finish rifles and restored ones, and each has its place. If its what you want to do, go for it and I think you'll be pleased.

Here is mine when I first bought it:

And here it is field-ready, dressed up in Levergun Leatherworks garb:
Chad
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I just gave this thing a good scrubbin' and oilin' as directed above, and I believe it is just to far gone to mess with. There are some places too deeply pitted all over to obtain a nice blueing. I'm kinda kicking around the idea of a matte blue, but don't thing it would look all that hot on a 95 Win. Inside the barrel isn't the best either, not sewer pipe, but far from prestine also.
It's fun shooting old guns...They don't have to be pretty to be appreciated, in fact I take no greater pleasure than showing up my shooting buds or strangers with something that looks too old and worn to be effective any more. Perhaps after wiping their eye with some fine shooting with that 95, you could pose the question: “Wonder what she’d a done when new?”
Go over it a couple of more times with the SS wool & Hoppes.. Brighten her up a little...Enjoy
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I will add my +1 to using some soft metal wool and Hoppes on the metal and some boiled linseed oil on the wood and leaving it as-is! If something were changed, like the barrel shortened or the stock cut down or something, then yeah, I'd say go ahead with a restore, but not one in original condition with a good bore.

IMHO

I have one that was buffed and blued and the barrel shortened on it. I got if for $500 about 10 years ago if that tells you anything.... that was less than 1/2 the price of an original condition one at the time in Dallas.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!